Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pain In Shins

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife came for the first time last year skiing but complained of her shins hurting during and after the week away. Any suggestions on how this can be avoided by either boot design, make, style, socks, etc?

As always with these things, it is my interest for her to enjoy skiing and I want to buy her boots this year to encourage more trips.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
perhaps these may help her

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/710026%7C%7Clowe%7C0%7Cuser%7C%7C159%7C
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It might be shin bang ...

Quote:
Shin-bang is a general sense of discomfort/pain in the lower anterior portion of the tibia that contacts with the tongue of the boot, especially when pressed against the boot.

Contents [hide]
1 Causes of shin-bang
2 Remedies for shin-bang
3 References
4 See also

Causes of shin-bangShin-bang has been variously attributed to the following causes:

Improperly fitting ski boots
Boots that are too soft (i.e. boots that flex forward easily)
Boots that are too hard (i.e. boots that do not flex forward easily)
Underdeveloped muscular structure in the calf and shin
Using a stance that is too far back on the skis
Using a stance that is too far forward on the skis
Skiing in hard or icy conditions, particularly when the terrain has moguls
Aggressive Skiing for multiple consecutive days
[edit] Remedies for shin-bang
There are many purported remedies for shin-bang, however there does not seem to be a consensus in the skiing community as to the most effective cure. Some remedies commonly circulated by boot-fitting professionals, avid skiers, and/or medical professionals:

Professionally fitted boots that have just the right amount of volume in the appropriate places (e.g. toebox, instep, rearfoot) and the appropriate amount of flex for the skier's level of ability or comfort needs
Boot adjustments to reduce the amount of movement of pressure to the shin area, including:
The addition of extra materials around the shin area, such as shims, pads, or plates
Additional straps to tighten the upper-calf of the boot, thus reducing movement throughout the shin area
Custom-fit ski-boot liners
Changes to heel height, boot-cant (the lateral orientation of the calf with respect to the base of the boot) or other adjustments to the orientation of the foot within the boot
RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation
Temporary or extended break from skiing activity
Materials or chemicals added to the shin area to reduce abrasion, such as armor-all, plastic bags, stockings worn under or over ski-socks
Shaving the hair from the shin and the lower-calf
Most importantly have the right size boots; boots that are too big are the biggest factor for shin bang

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin-bang

Quote:

A booster strap tightens the boot around the cuff and provides more stiffness and support, while reducing shin bang. You can get the booster strap in various degrees of stiffness - go with the Standard or the Pro. A booster strap is especially helpful if there is no buckle near the top of the boot, which is the case for the low-end Raichle boots, as well as some of the UPS/UPZ models. Some boots come with slots in the back shell, which provide a handy way to secure the booster strap. You can attach a booster strap to the back of the shell cuff using either a rivet or a T-nut.

http://www.alpinecarving.com/bootfitting.html

Quote:
Are you suffering from shin bang, pressure points, rubbing, aching? Then go to ye bootfitter
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
croskemj, does she have hairy legs? I had to shave my shins a few years ago,
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stance far too forward can cause it, and is suprisingly common from the "anything but the back seat/weight forwards" school of thought. I did it for a full season and had agony in my shins because, basically, my ankles were at the end of their range of motion and anything they tried to absorb forwards went straight into/through the shin muscles.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, as she is not a guerilla, I don't think hairy legs are an issue! More likely a combination of stance and poorly fitted boots as above. Sounds like the upper strap one always gets these days is imperitive to stop any shin movement. I will either be taking her to my local ski shop in Ipswich or to S & R nearer Christmas as they will be her birthday present which falls in early December.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
croskemj, A properly fitted boot is the answer. First timers tend to ride with their boots way too loose and the impact of the shin against the boot causes pain after the first few days. A booster strap will help and a trip to a good boot fitter will solve the problem.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Check out

http://www.shinnies.com/

Its made for rental boots and people with boots that are not correctly fitted. Its also only 7.99 and in the US.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

as she is not a guerilla, I don't think hairy legs are an issue

Laughing Laughing My daughter tends to get sore shins from pressure. We got her a pair of the pads offered (free) on this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32118

instant solution. I don't think there's anything wrong with her stance, she skis well and the problem just went away with the pads.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
correctly fitted boots, snug round the cuff and with a footbed to reduce any shearing forces caused by excessive pronation, and a decent technical sock (not somthing with fibres as rough as a cheese grater, not mentioning any brand in particular)

the reason these pads work is that they fill the space left by the boot not being tight enough with a nice soft cushion, sure they are great, and for some people the only solution but all the other stuff is important too
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy