Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel Altiport

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone actually landed or took off from here? I dont mind flying at all, i love it infact but this i would fee a little uneasy about if im honest, great little video, and i think it stalls just before he touches down!!!

http://youtube.com/v/UCsQuVrmj1g&feature=related
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ricklovesthepowder, unless you're very rich you probably don't need to worry about it. wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hahaha, cant anyone fly their? isnt there a company that flies direct or anything?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder, There used to be scheduled flights into it using 4 engined Dash 7 planes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ricklovesthepowder, i think you need either a special license or something like 4 landings a year to stay current, mainly helicopters from paris and GVA these days ...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
you have to be a russian
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder, One of my mates did a skydive from there last year, he said it was pretty impresiive take off!

I'm not sure why everyone thinks you have to be mega rich to fly into there, from what I can see the landing fees are only 80Euros, and it's obviously viable to run a skydiving business from there too, I doubt its much more expensive than many other normal small airports....obviously the pilot needs to pay to get qualified to land there. I know a few people who have/have had there PPL and they are by no means rich.

It would be great if there ran TO flights there, no more mega transfer times, unless it snows of course....how many people does that Dash 7 carry then?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, I think you are correct about the special license. A friend of mine, who has a commercial pilot's license, did get qualified to land there, but hasn't been recently, & told me that if he went again he would probably pick up a locally qualified pilot in Albertville for the final leg of the journey. I'm hoping he'll take me one day.....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
joydivision wrote:

how many people does that Dash 7 carry then?

Max 54 people
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There I was, during my first week of skiing, quietly pottering down that slope that runs round the bottom of the runway when suddenly, out of nowhere, there's a Dash 7 coming in to land - apparently right on my head! Jeez, that frightened the living daylights out of me.

I've landed and taken off from Lukla in Nepal and that's probably even worse than Courchevel. First, the aircraft is a very battered de Havilland Twin Otter; second the pilots are both very relaxed Nepalis; third there's a huge drop from the end of the runway into the valley below and finally, at the top end of the runway is a huge wall of rock. Very exciting though - especially if you have the seat in the middle right behind the pilots.

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ricklovesthepowder,

Yip, I have a PPL and did an hour of "touch and goes" at Courcheval in April 09 while at the EOSB in VT. One of the most memorable hours of my life.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Think an airport is a status symbol for an upmarket resort.

Wonder which one has it other than St Moritz and Aspen?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnboy, Cool Cool

i flew into Meigs field in Chicago one summer night and the approach below the skyscrapers with lights everywhere was very memorable
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee, yeah Alpe d'Huez is well posh.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is a blue run the loops round the end of the runway (prameruel I think). I was waiting for friends there a couple of seasons ago when a plane took off from the altiport. I didn't realise where I was in relation to the runway. To say I got a shock when the thing roared over me, seemingly only a couple of feet above my head, is the understatement of the year. When my friends arrive they asked if I had seen the plane take off, "yes, and nearly got twatted by the undercarriage" says I, white as a sheet and in a fit of nervous giggles.

Damn near added me to the heart attack statistics it did.
ski holidays
Quote:

Think an airport is a status symbol for an upmarket resort.

Wonder which one has it other than St Moritz and Aspen?

Telluride has one, Crested Butte has one half an hour away (Gunnison) and Jackson Hole has one.

We've flown to the last two and it was brilliant to have a short transfer - particularly 10 minutes to Jackson Hole! Then again, that was flight number 3 at the end of nearly 24 hours travelling, door to door... zzzzzzzzz. Well worth it though - an amazing ski destination Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
flew from there in the mid 90's. four of us got in the back of a cessna with our luggage piled around us and the lady who pushed the plane out of the hangar took us to lyon. with her instructor by her side. a most memorable take off, very draughty, and i believe she got her required hours up to get her license ! a spur of the moment thing which most definitely didnt cost an arm and a leg and something i suppose will never be allowed to be done again.
snow conditions
Val Thorens has one.
ski holidays
La Plagne had one.
latest report
Megève too. I went on a flight around Mont Blanc from there.
ski holidays
Chill factore has one (nearby-ish) and they can get the big birds in too wink
ski holidays
FenlandSkier wrote:
Chill factore has one (nearby-ish) and they can get the big birds in too wink

Indeed! Apparently, plots landing at Barton line up on the CFe on approach.
latest report
altis, yeah, it used to be the Reebok but Cfe is even better, not so much for approach as much as finding where the field is.
snow report
jimmjimm,

The one at Val T is very dodgy!
snow report
Bergmeister, Les Gets has one an hour away also!! wink
latest report
Roy Hockley wrote:
Bergmeister, Les Gets has one an hour away also!! wink

Ive landed there before, coming in so close to that huge lake is quite bad in the fog!!!
latest report
No ones mentioned Meribel yet!
snow report
Everyone of Le Gets, Chamonix, Flaine, La Clusaz, Avoriaz, Les Contamines, Morzine, Morgen, Megeve, St Gervais, Courmayeur...... has an airport within an hour. It has a common name called Geneva that's all.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee, not so cool as flying into an Altiport with your Bentley being ready for you when you arrive.
ski holidays
My bro in law reckons that the majority of planes are just pilots taking their special licence thingy for flying low over the alps. Not been up close to the Courchevel one but the Alpe d'Huez one was fascinating to watch. Uphill landing as unable to use breaks.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 4-09-10 13:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Swirly wrote:
saikee, yeah Alpe d'Huez is well posh.

Laughing Now, now...play nicely
snow report
When I Googled the airport in Aple d'Huez it says the airport is "inactive" and suggests to fly to Courchevel or Tignes.

I can understand Aspen has a need for an airport as there is no train and the resort is at a fair distance from major cities with the only main road beyond Aspen closed in the winter.

St Moritz can be reached by trains although the place is rather remote by the Swiss standard.

Courchevel and Alpe d'Huez are well served by roads and the airports even if fully utilised are no where near capable of serving the number of visitors going there.
snow report
Sorry coolest of cool is having your Apache taken over to Canada so you can obtain your 'mountain flying' certificate and then working out how to stow skis and allow one up descents as as a 'training' flight plan snowHead
PS, Scottish mountains aren't high enough! Smile
latest report
saikee, it was busy as heck when we were there New years 2009. Maybe they mean no passenger service as it is just used to train pilots for the Alps (special license due to the thermals etc)
snow report
Alpe d'Huez has a short runway ideal for the likes of general aviation - while skiing last year I saw a Robin DR400 (surprisingly) attached to a pair of skis. Looked like a lot of fun.
latest report
Alpe d'Huez has a short runway ideal for the likes of general aviation - while skiing last year I saw a Robin DR400 (surprisingly) attached to a pair of skis. Looked like a lot of fun.
latest report
altis, How do they do touch and goes at Courshevel? I thought they took off and landed in opposite directions due to the bank at the end of the runway.
A friend of mine has been into Lukla and said Courcheval was nothing compared to that. Isn't there an bend in the runway as well as the drop off?

adrian
snow report
Dunno. It was johnboy doing the 'touch and go's.

At Lukla the runway is straight but the apron is off to the side at the top. In the first photo above, the runway goes off down the hill behind Mrs A's head. When landing, they have to keep on quite a bit of power just to make it up the hill and then they suddenly swing right at the top. Everybody piles out and the next lot pile on. Turn around is under half an hour. It needs to be in case the weather changes.
ski holidays
Tignes also has an altiport, up towards Col du Palet. It used to be (not sure now?) marked with an aeroplane on the piste map.

I've never seen any evidence of flying or flights there - though there are a few hangers on site.
latest report
saikee wrote:
Everyone of Le Gets, Chamonix, Flaine, La Clusaz, Avoriaz, Les Contamines, Morzine, Morgen, Megeve, St Gervais, Courmayeur...... has an airport within an hour. It has a common name called Geneva that's all.

Good luck getting from GVA to Courmayeur in an hour Chamonix yes but Courmayeur through the MB tunnell is pushing it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy