Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What topic to research for a skiing project

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
What happens to old ski instructors - longer term career development prospects. Going forward. wink

or maybe it's backwards?

or downhill, at any rate?

pam w sorry it's a bit late but do you think you should get your coat Laughing

I am not sure you need to do any primary research for a 3 - 4,000 word essay. Besides which if you post such a survey here you'll only get the same abuse we give every one else about sample size, self selection etc etc. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
'The Internet forum as a tool for raising the profile of various aspects of skiing'

They obviously feel its important enough to appoint a 'guardian of BASI' to the online world.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I, too, recommend choosing a nice simple topic. Something like:

Should I wear a helmet?

Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A few of ideas that could be interesting are...

• Development of classes and promotion for skiers with physical or learning difficulties
  • What is the optimum length of a lesson? A question I often get asked, with some beginners with lots of money requesting full days of private tuition
  • How much does individual progression slow down when the number of people in a group class is increased?

From reading your posts it seems you are pretty set on your speed test idea so if it's something you know a lot about already then maybe you should just go for it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whatabout ....
"Ski Characteristics (e.g. width / length / stiffness) and their impact on the process of learning to ski."
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DB wrote:
Whatabout ....
"Ski Characteristics (e.g. width / length / stiffness) and their impact on the process of learning to ski."

Good suggestion.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You could also do ski boots

"Ski Boot Characteristics (e.g. stiffness, fit, etc) and their impact on the process of learning to ski."

You could conclude by stating what learners should look for in their skis / ski boots. e.g. My first day on real snow was spent in a pair of stiff Salomon boots which fit my feet well but were just too stiff for me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You seem to have a very wide area of potential subjects - and as ever SHs are generous with advice, which I guess is why you asked.
A colleague of mine just wrote a very interesting assignment on the impact of virtual reality upon the tourism industry. If you tweak that a little you could perhaps look at the effectiveness of something the nintendo wii or other VR training tool - or even a way of supporting punters to 'learn the piste' through VR or POV filming. I know I enjoy using You Tube to look at runs where I am going skiing. Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"The emergence of indoor snow slopes in the UK, and their effect on seasonality in ski instruction."

Or you could just call it "Are dry ski slopes dead?"
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are thinking about ski / snowboard related injuries, have a look at http://www.ski-injury.com
This site is run by a local Doctor in Aviemore who is also a member of the Cairngorm ski patrol. Tonnes of info here...just dinnae copy&paste!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The impact of Groomed slopes which has developed a relatively poor overall skiing technique resulting in the inability (out of control) to ski bumps,powder & all kinds of other surface conditions. Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 2-09-10 16:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, I'd say that's a seriously good idea for a topic.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stanton, I like.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
are there any benefits to be had from warming up before you board/ski ? you hardly see anyone doing it, yet youd do it before partaking in any other sport...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DB, I do like the ski type and how it would effect different learners.

limegreen1, we cover this in all of our exams. Every day we warm up with the trainer, every lesson you run should have a warm up (or an assumed one, if you are already all warmed up) However, it is true that many instructors then do not use a warm up. If teaching a beginner this is pretty natural though, they are starting off on ski walking around then 2 and so on, lots of stuff just on the flat to get familiar with sliding/edging a little.

Plenty of decent suggestions here! I just have to select one that I can produce a decent project on, and that I have genuine interest in.

thanks for your contributions snowHead s
snow conditions
Whitegold,
Quote:

Look beyond the old world of UK and Europe.

Write something on how ski instruction is emerging in major developing markets like China or Argentina.

I like that suggestion a lot. There's a gaggle of basi trainers in Argentina right now - you could interview them!
latest report
achilles,
Quote:

Why there is a need to produce 3-4000 word essays for BASI.

I checked out your question with the BASI office, the answer is that in France the equivalent of the BASI L4 is given the same status as a degree. The candidate should therefore have the competence to carry out research and express it to an educated audience. In order to make sure our qualifications are recognised in Europe BASI has to ensure that they are comparable to the standards of other European countries.
ski holidays
Ski shape and size and adaption of technique to exploit or compensate for characteristics in different environments.
snow report
stanton's idea about the deleterious effects of groomed slopes is a good one, but maybe you could develop that into a more BASI-relevant topic if you looked at the ways that instructors could help compensate for those effects. Groomed slopes aren't always groomed nicely - sometimes they're rutted (especially icy spring mornings), sometimes mogully, porridgey, nasty manmade snowy, etc etc. Lots of skiers get seriously bothered by those conditions and moan a lot - especially at the stage when they think they've got rather good zipping down nice groomed blue runs. Techniques such as using a "stem step" could be a helpful "get of jail" card and no doubt there are plenty of others. I wish I'd been taught sort of thing at an early stage before things had started to solidify.

easiski's technique of taking even beginner groups "off piste" (we're not talking couloirs here) is a good one, in my view, and stops people making too many assumptions about the surface they're going to have under their skis.
ski holidays
^ Perhaps too complex.

More philosophically.

The no 1 skill for a ski instructor is the ability to handle a video camera well. Discuss.

NB not being entirely facetious - I suspect its been done but the availability of contemporaneous video feedback has changed ski coaching radically. How and should this be trickled down to the mass market?
ski holidays
Whether the credibility of BASI will be impacted by a ‘yes’ vote to Scottish Independence as they will not have a recognised ski region within their jurisdiction
snow report
Johnor wrote:
Whether the credibility of BASI will be impacted by a ‘yes’ vote to Scottish Independence as they will not have a recognised ski region within their jurisdiction

I wonder how much investment would be seen in Yad Moss in that event Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy