Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What topic to research for a skiing project

Poster: A snowHead
What sort of topic would you as skiers like to have researched? I have to, at some point write my skiing project for BASI. This is a 3 to 4 thousand word essay on a topic/title of my choice.

I would like something that is a prominent issue in skiing. Alternatively is there anything you have noted on numerous occasions that just seems lacking in terms of ski teaching. But (as stated below) it must in some way be of benefit, or at least relate to the profession of ski instructing.

Quote from BASI site
"The subject matter for your project needs to relate to the Snowsport industry, but it also needs to be something that would be useful for your peers to read and should relate in some way to the profession of Snowsport teaching"

Just off the top of my head I could write about...

'The Relevance of European Speedtests For Ski Instructors'

Any other suggestions are appreciated and I will consider them. I think the whole Eurotest and test technique business could make for good reading, although it has been done a lot before maybe my opinion of it possibly differs to a lot of peoples. It must be a subject where I can produce figures and data (hence why racing is good!) produce graphs, generally make it look good and presentable.

I hope it isnt too good (not sure on the likelihood of that though!), BASI own it once I am finished so I dont think I can share it with anybody!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
R555MAC, reflecting the discussion on the thread about heart attacks, perhaps you could research what physical preparation people do before their ski holidays?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
R555MAC, is it actually supposed to be research, or a discussion/analysis?

Another possibility - the reasons why people do, or do not, take ski lessons when on holiday.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, that's a good idea. In fact R555MAC could gather the research from Snowhead people in a poll or questionnaire or something. You've got all sorts here ranging from people that go one week a year to people who do full seasons every year or some years. Should be easy to find out how much exercise people do and what kind, ski specific, weight lifting etc.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Factors which influence the decision to take or not take ski lessons.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, again the ski lessons and whys is a good idea. You're a haven of suggestions pam w Very Happy . Some people might think it's obvious why people have ski lessons (i.e. they want to improve their skiing), but some people have lessons because they could be a different level skier to their partner so it means they can find others of similar level to ski with rather than always being last, or something. Some people book their kids into ski school so they can have skiing time to themselves etc.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
R555MAC, Piste safety, provision of 'quiet pistes' for beginners etc. The risk of collision with fast moving, overtaking, skiers when on a blue piste is my biggest concern.

Good for a bit of questionnaire analysis - never fails.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar wrote:
Factors which influence the decision to take or not take ski lessons.

and what persuades experienced skiers to seek out good quality teaching for their skiing development Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BASI will own the copyright of your paper?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why there is a need to produce 3-4000 word essays for BASI. Hilarious.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Whether rocker works/is of benefit? You'd have to test lots of funky new skis as a bonus too wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
An analysis of potential customers personality type and learning style, as well as establishing which suit each instructor in a ski school at any given time, in order for them to get the most out of their tuition.

I've never had a ski instructor or potential ski school ask anything more than how experienced the potential skiers are, and whether they have special requirements. When I tell them my special requirement is to have an instructor who we can take the p1ss out of plenty, takes the p1ss out of us, and who can laugh at themselves, most struggle to actually take it seriously. Plus asking if they can actually drink, not just drink like a seasonnaire, we need them to be able to drink like an 18 year-old. But not be an 18 year-old. We can't have that Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
"The ethical dilemma of a ski instructor bagging off with birds they have been teaching, even the fat ones" - it will be a study in discrimination in the workplace Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:

+1
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
3000-4000 words is not a lot in essay terms, so it's going to have to be something quite simple otherwise he's going to be going over the word limit.
snow report
achilles wrote:

I agree with your question, which would benefit from a question mark. I could imagine that a highly-skilled and personable ski instructor could operate with very limited reading/writing capabilities, and I'd be in favour of that.
ski holidays
The perception of punters of ski instructors and their qualifications - does the average punter know about ski instructor levels of qualfication or care?
snow conditions
Does the cost of safety gear act as a barrier to widespread uptake and use (avi gear, helmets, etc.)?
ski holidays
What happens to old ski instructors - longer term career development prospects. Going forward. wink

or maybe it's backwards?

or downhill, at any rate?
snow report
David E Goldsmith wrote:
achilles wrote:

I agree with your question, which would benefit from a question mark.

No it wouldn't. It isn't a question. Swap round "there" and "is" and it would be.
latest report
Wow this thread seems fairly popular!
https://www.basi.org.uk/content/alpine-written-project.aspx the 'Written Project' outline, also there is a 'click here' in the final line of the page, it has some further information about the criteria in a PDF file.

One key point is this
"The project will form the basis of the 15 minute interview with the Director of Training or the
Chief Executive Officer."

So I have to pick something which I have a genuine interest in and could discuss clearly and concisely.

pam w wrote:
R555MAC, is it actually supposed to be research, or a discussion/analysis?

Another possibility - the reasons why people do, or do not, take ski lessons when on holiday.

I would raise the point/issue, discuss it and conclude.
So using my speedtest example. What are they? Define...discuss advantages/disadvantages side with whether or not they should remain present in the system. Amongst all of this, numbers who pass/fail etc, how realistic the target times are based on WC/Europa cup athletes. May also include a comparison of the teaching quality in the countries who use the test (Austria France Italy) compared to the rest of the world, is there a significant difference in teaching standards as a result of speedtesting? (that's the big question really) Also analysing the validity of test. For example average pass rates for the ET are around 6%, yet occasionally 80% will pass at one test.

This is why I am thinking speedtests, so much to discuss, although we have heard a lot of it before I expect.
As mentioned above 3-4000 words is not a lot to play with, depending on subject choice.

I do like that idea 'pam w'. And I am sure there are plenty of snowheads willing to help with questionnaires!
I also like the, what do instructors do when old age kicks in. That could be hard to research. But I am sure it could have some very interesting results! Plenty of content as well.

Plenty of interesting suggestions in there!
snow report
R555MAC wrote:
I would raise the point/issue, discuss it and conclude.
So using my speedtest example. What are they? Define...discuss advantages/disadvantages side with whether or not they should remain present in the system. Amongst all of this, numbers who pass/fail etc, how realistic the target times are based on WC/Europa cup athletes. May also include a comparison of the teaching quality in the countries who use the test (Austria France Italy) compared to the rest of the world, is there a significant difference in teaching standards as a result of speedtesting? (that's the big question really) Also analysing the validity of test. For example average pass rates for the ET are around 6%, yet occasionally 80% will pass at one test.

Far too difficult to do properly. Stick with something simple would be my advice.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
The perception of punters of ski instructors and their qualifications - does the average punter know about ski instructor levels of qualfication or care?

Again, an interesting one. It is true that most people dont realise the effort required to work within France/Austria/Italy (I mean full time not 4 weeks at a time)

But I dont think I have enough interest in that topic and doubt I could produce an interesting report on it. It would be nice to have it better realised of course. The French is essentially considered a degree.

EDIT - Just re-read your point. That is pretty valid. You can only assume that the ski school will provide the appropriate instructor. Liability is passed to the school if they have permitted you to take a group off piste. I do not take lessons off piste and have not asked the ski school director if I can, if the situation arises I would not want to take a group on the majority of faces I ski, but bits of powder at the side of the marked runs, stuff that I regard completely safe and have been skiing for the past 10 years without seeing a single slide on it.

As a subject, I think it is relevant, but I cant really see myself spending hours writing about it.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 1-09-10 23:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rob@rar, Its kinda is isnt it. But I have soo many ideas in my head for it! Its one topic that has been on my mind for almost 2 years now, so I feel like I have head start with it!
Whatever I do pick I will first layout a comprehensive plan of what content to include.
latest report
achilles, I can only assume we are asked to do this as BASI does not only cover skiing teaching/technique/mountain safety but also focuses on the wider snowsports industry, perhaps they want to hear our personal insight into this, or steal our ideas. Maybe it is just designed to demonstrate a certain level of intelligence, or something Puzzled Not 100% to be honest.
Thats why some people favour the likes of the Canadian system who have a better focus on the skiing/teaching aspect. (I need BASI to work in France, the French system is certainly no easier!)
ski holidays
R555MAC, An idea gelling from the avi gear thread on the equipment board is 'How do ski instructors get on w.r.t. the risks of taking a ski party 'off piste' for some variety' - topic is being realised on this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66308#1579966
ski holidays
R555MAC wrote:
rob@rar, Its kinda is isnt it. But I have soo many ideas in my head for it! Its one topic that has been on my mind for almost 2 years now, so I feel like I have head start with it!
Whatever I do pick I will first layout a comprehensive plan of what content to include.

I think you're running the risk of doing too much for this. Be a shame to get bogged down and delay ISTD qualification because you were too ambitious with the written report.
ski holidays
clarky999, I wish Toofy Grin

Monium, haha, well, I would hope to fill the criteria there. Although I am not a whole lot older than 18. Wonder how that subject would go down if it got as far as the interview process!?

Seriously though, having a more catered lesson does make sense. Perhaps websites with better skier profiles? Music types/favourite drink etc etc and you can select you instructor online, 100% Ski Instructor Match.com I can see it now Laughing (seriously though, the topic does make sense!)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, thats why I am planning it now. I am a good 1/2 seasons from my first L4 exam I expect. Doing my entire L3 this coming season. Thought I could write this in my spare time, or even before this season really kicks off, and just have it ready. Maybe read back over it every now and then ready to modify anything accordingly before the L4. 'beanie1' has already informed me that I can hand the project in when I like, so as long as I keep a copy to read prior to the interview and refresh my memory it should help speed up the process I am hoping.

I certainly dont want to delay my ISTD, hence why I am planning so far ahead. Seems like I am almost over thinking all of this. I have skiing on the brain at the moment, fresh from booking exams and GS training, the season just cant come quickly enough!
snow report
How about something on the adaptations necessary for teaching older beginner skiers. A 50 year old female beginner must have very different teaching needs to an 18 year old male. Presenting a paper on a non sexy subject like this would probably win lots of brownie points for showing you are serious about the 'teaching' side of the equation.
snow conditions
Megamum, I have read the other thread. All valid points raised. I've edited my earlier post, sorry but mis-read what you had written!

Spud9, It is a good subject, however it is covered (although briefly) in the BASI manual. I have certainly had my share of pupils to adapt to. Its not only age you find but the psychological differences (nervous skiers for example) also physiological challenges (I have taught people who were incredibly unfit) amongst some others. Its just one of those things that you seem to adapt to naturally when teaching.
ski holidays
R555MAC, what are you doing as your second discipline, have you considered adaptive? Perhaps a topic related to that?

I expect the Eurotest is a popular topic for ISTDs, so it could be interesting to do something more unusual?
latest report
The benefit of having tried both skiing and snowboarding to a users piste awareness
ski holidays
R555MAC,
Don't look around for something to write about - big mistake.
Just write about something you're interested in. I have never met you but I will gaurantee that you have an in depth knowledge about some aspect or other of snowports. Study up a bit more on that subject and then write it down.

Or, ask yourself a question "that you find interesting" and then find the answer (the real an answer). Then, write down the answer so that other people can understand it.
latest report
R555MAC, BASI is very weak on methods and techniques for teaching children, that could be one area to focus on... There has been a lot of analysis of the speed test and you would struggle to do something original and brief enough on that subject.

also like the suggestions on developing a simple tool or questionnaire to help determine personality types and or learning style . This is covered in detail within the L3 teach module but a cut down version for clients to use would be very useful
snow report
The tendency of masters to prolong apprenticeships in trade guilds through the ages.
snow conditions
Skiing is globalizing.

Look beyond the old world of UK and Europe.

Write something on how ski instruction is emerging in major developing markets like China or Argentina.
snow conditions
laundryman, Laughing How about "Slamming the door shut behind you"
snow conditions
How about " Why are qualifications for snowsport instructors so complex and varied " and then suggest a much simpler European wide system Toofy Grin
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
How about " Why are qualifications for snowsport instructors so complex and varied " and then suggest a much simpler European wide system Toofy Grin

ROFLMFAO!

The varies UK bodies couldn't agree on a unified system for qualifications issued in the UK! I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the French, Austrians, Swiss, Italians and others were told they had to adopt a unified system Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy