Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to include "heart attack" in your ski holiday package

Poster: A snowHead
The Telegraph has this all-too-true report on sudden cardiac arrests on the slopes, based on research by the Medical University of Innsbruck:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/7972982/Prepare-for-ski-trip-or-risk-heart-attack-amateur-skiers-told.html

Is there a defibrillator in your backpack?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
could one of the medical peeps on here advise if it might help to take some aspirin in the morning (not as good as actually getting fit, of course...)?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what did the pirate say when he had a mild tug on the old heart ?

aahhhh, me earty ! ..... coat .....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David E Goldsmith, I know from personal experience how common it is. Have been at the scene of two (both died), heard about many others. It's far more common than death by blow to head yet hardly ever discussed.

Quote:

Is there a defibrillator in your backpack?
no.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmm. Over-weight, under-exercised, smoking couch potato who has not seen his GP in years, hits slopes and goes completely mad after late night out on the town. Figures.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Isn't the answer, look at the total column in a 5* all inclusive hotel package?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How many are caused by the prices in piste side restaurants?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, the two deaths I witnessed did not fit that generalisation. One was an active lady 50+ who had skied a lot. The other was a forty-something man who looked fit and healthy (other than the fact he wasn't breathing of course).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, you rang?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can you pack defribilator's with your ski boots and luggage in your hand luggage ?

If not do you have to pay excess baggage ?

wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

defribilator's

... what?
Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:
It's far more common than death by blow to head yet hardly ever discussed.

That sounds plausible, but do you have any figures to back it up?

The article said 40% of slope deaths were caused by sudden heart failure. I'd be interested to know what the others were. What else might be the big killers:

- head injuries

- hypothermia

- avalanche?

I've probably missed something really obvious.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Since slope deaths are fairly rare (isn't it something like one per 100,000 per year?), is this really such a big problem or is it sensationalist media drivel again?

I remember reading something about the high frequency of heart attacks in bingo halls. Apparently all that excitement is too much for some people. Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, completely agree. How would this compare, on a participant to incident ration, against other activities like squash, the gym, football, or golf even?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman wrote:
Bode Swiller wrote:
It's far more common than death by blow to head yet hardly ever discussed.

That sounds plausible, but do you have any figures to back it up?
of course not, this is snowHeads. I read an article once that stated that over 50% of deaths on the slopes were heart attacks but I'll be darned if I can find it.

This is always a good place to start... http://www.ski-injury.com/intro
snow report
Dr John wrote:
queen bodecia, completely agree. How would this compare, on a participant to incident ration, against other activities like squash, the gym, football, or golf even?
yes, and the heart attack guys would probably have one some other time anyway Laughing
snow conditions
Blood gets oversupplied to the lungs to heat up the unfamiliar bursts of cold air. The heart subsequently gets undersupplied with blood and packs up.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Blood gets oversupplied to the lungs to heat up the unfamiliar bursts of cold air. The heart subsequently gets undersupplied with blood and packs up.
if that were true people would be dropping like flies.

Heart attacks are for losers (save you saying it wink )
latest report
Whitegold, wrong!
snow conditions
A lot of the hillwalking / mountaineering deaths in the UK are also due to heart attacks. Hazard of doing anything... no one will get out of this alive.
ski holidays

Better pack one of these then Toofy Grin
snow report
Scarpa, wish me luck on Saturday. I'm probably prime age. I'm not out of condition though - though even fit blokes seem to drop dead exerting themselves (in all manner of ways) sometimes.
snow report
This has been known about for years. People who drive down overnight especially Germans and start skiing without any rest have had attacks.

When your on your vacations most people you see being carted off the hill are heart attack victims.
latest report
stanton, that's nonsense - most of them are injuries and the majority of those turn out to be relatively minor. Check with any resort's piste rescue service.
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
most people you see being carted off the hill are heart attack victims.

It's best to avoid resorts where the ski patrol is operated by funeral directors
ski holidays
This thread is giving me a pain down the left arm, a vice-like tightening of the chest and the sweats. I'm sure it's just indiges........
snow report
stanton wrote:
When your on your vacations most people you see being carted off the hill are heart attack victims.

I have seen a few cases where they have been letting the sled gain alot of pace (with someone inside) and thought they wouldnt go that fast if the person had an injury to require a sled in the first place.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
stanton, Check with any resort's piste rescue service.

I lost count of how many they had to deal with in St Anton last season, one high season week at least 3 Germans,1 Russian on one day & then the following day a Norwegian Woman.
I remember the previous season a Dutch guy dropped down dead in the Krazy Kanguruh but the apres continued Very Happy
I even personally knew a British guy a few years ago (well known regular in St Anton) who's heart packed up on one of the easiest runs Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, but, remember, to qualify for this competition they must actually die. Being sledded off with a hurty chest doesn't count.
ski holidays
stanton, your anecotal experience aside, if you bother to get concrete information from piste rescue you will find that heart attack victims do not constitute the majority of their work.
latest report
stanton wrote:

I remember the previous season a Dutch guy dropped down dead in the Krazy Kanguruh but the apres continued

He just carried on drinking (like a bunch of flowers)
snow report
I can't imagine going skiing having not done any exercise all year, or very infrequent exercise. It must border on unenjoyable. Unenjoyable even before a heart attack happens I mean.
ski holidays
Lizzard, punters lose consciousness at the lift ticket window in France so don't need rescuing on the slopes. That's the best explanation.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
stanton, your anecotal experience aside, if you bother to get concrete information from piste rescue you will find that heart attack victims do not constitute the majority of their work.

I have no stats but I agree, the majority have to be sprains, knee injuries, broken wrists, knock to the head etc.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
if that were true people would be dropping like flies.

Heart attacks are for losers (save you saying it wink )

Healthy hearts can cope with much of their normal bloodflow diverting to the lungs. Unhealthy hearts cannot.
latest report
Whitegold, You absolute idiot.

Unless you have a significant shunt between the right and left sides of the heart (eg Eisenmengers syndrome), all your blood goes through your lungs exactly once every single time it goes round the circulatory system. Cardiac output might rise - but there is no "diversion" to the lungs with cold.

On a side issue - cooling blood down below normal temperature is an integral part of maintaining cardiac and brain health when patients with terrible hearts are on-bypass during open-heart surgery.

stanton, rubbish. May be the leading "medical" cause for stretchering off - but Trauma will be a way bigger proportion.
ski holidays
Hmmm I'm not a medical practicioner but my understanding of it would be

Increased exercise of muscles whilst skiing
Muscles require more oxygen than at rest
Breathing rate increases to increase air flow into the lungs and thus into the muscles when the heart pumps the blood around the body with oxygenated blood from the lungs
Heart rate increases also to supply muscle demand for oxygen and to deliver deoxygenated blood back to the lungs to be oxygenated again
Muscles need more oxygen particularly as less oxygen available at altitude so heart has to work harder than at sea level to maintain same level of activity
Heart is supplied with oxygen by coronary artery so when it's working harder, it needs more oxygen itself as well as the muscles during exercise
Coronary artery becomes blocked or partially blocked resulting in not enough oxygen going to heart muscle and some or all of the heart muscle dies=infarction=heart attack.

Edit: spotted typo

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 1-09-10 19:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
stoatsbrother, oh hello. Just seen your post, hopefully my list is pretty much right then?
latest report
Oh, meant to mention that the coronary artery is already narrowed in heart attack candidates so that's why it blocks as compared to a person with a healthy heart......
snow report
If you need a de fib in Montalbert it is to the left of the Tourist Office door in a break glass cabinet with full instructions for use in 4 languages!
and ifirc each on piste first aid team carries one as well.

FWIW I read somewhere (like Bode Swiller I don't remember where) that Golf is more dangerous than Skiing when judged by deaths per participant.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 1-09-10 20:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy