Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow Report 10/11

Poster: A snowHead
stevomcd, are you on some BASI training up there?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Hintertux is great at the moment. Even some nice powder up the top today.

Stubai looking good too : 19 lifts open & some nice backcountry/mini tours - off there tomoz for a cheeky weekend's freeheeling Toofy Grin

This 3D-map/photo site is excellent to view the available terrain & work out route-planning etc http://www.realitymaps.de/en/3d-online/references.html
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

stevomcd, are you on some BASI training up there?

Snowboard Instructor level 2 !

Good feedback on first teaching session today, big personal performance day tomorrow, will see how that goes!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Was walking up around the Riesachfall, Unteral near Schladming (Wild Wasser) yesterday, after a long bike ride to get there. Bumped into 2 ski tourers walking down through the forest track. Said they had just skied some peak (2700m), I think Umlauter, and was snow down to 1800m. Though they did say it was a 5 hour walk down! In ski boots and carrying a shed load of gear. I did see some snow at around 800m, amazing how the man made stuff hangs around, despite weeks of warm sunshine.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Still looks like very good conditions on some Austrian glaciers:

http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=39373&sid=a9185bd94ff53411d7be6ee9e493f7c5
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
and one more from Stubai:
http://alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=39383&sid=9c0ba0cead0d4e88f5732d9e7d20f42b
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just entered my season pass number into skiline.at and discovered that this season (Didn't start until mid-dec and missed most of jan, feb, start of march, so mostly since mid-march)

Days skied 42
Vertical Metres 126,00m
Lifts up 318
downhill dist: 597.4 km
Max vert in single day 6303m (powder day)

Doesn't seem to include a few days at obertauern and of course no ski touring stats.

Sorry a bit geeky but not done the skiline stats thing before.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's quite few resorts on the Salzburger Superski card that are not yet on skiline waynos, as I have found out - Obertauern Leogang (and then the Saalbach system) and Kitzsteinhorn, to name just a few. So I'm missing loads of days from my recrd - bummer n'est pas rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
waynos, watch out its addictive Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Samerberg Sue, You have to enter your ski ticket again for the different areas... eg Ski Circus will cover Saalbach/Hinterglemm and Leogang, Zell and Kitsteinhorn etc.. etc...

Obertauern is a different kettle of fish though!... there are over 30 lift companieis in Obertauern and none of them want to share their data with each other!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
flangesax, no it doesn't - I mailed the skiline people and they told me that Kitzsteinhorn, Leogang (and therefore Saalbach etc) and Obertauern and the Lungau resorts are not yet included.

Apparently for the Saalbach circus, if you enter through Leogang it does not register and therefore none of your lift rides do. The same for Zell am See/Kaprun/Kitzsteinhorn. If you start on a system not part of the skiline set up, if does not register you at all that day. I've lost plenty of days in the Saalbach area as I come in from Leogang (nearest to me). I also did not register on the Kitzbühel network when using my Salzburger Superski season ticket, but when I bought a day ticket in Kitz it did show up.

I don't think it is a perfect system by any means but it is fun (sometimes!) wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue, really....

Skiline

Kitzsteinhorn would be pretty useless anyway as they have only 1 or 2 liftpass readers...
Zell is listed on Skiline: http://www.skiline.cc/ticket/schmitten

Just try playing about and refreshing from the calendar screen.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flangesax wrote:
Samerberg Sue, You have to enter your ski ticket again for the different areas... eg Ski Circus will cover Saalbach/Hinterglemm and Leogang, Zell and Kitsteinhorn etc.. etc...

Obertauern is a different kettle of fish though!... there are over 30 lift companieis in Obertauern and none of them want to share their data with each other!
30? there arnt 30 lifts in obertauern are there?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax, skiline mailed me back and told me that Leogang is not on the system (yet). I expect the Kitzsteinhorn is as you say because the only readers are on the gondolas to get up there - none on the glacier itself.

The database is not perfect and apparently it all depends on where you enter the system from. It is being expanded and they reckon on the Obertauern and Lungau lifts being onboard next season. But who knows for sure. If the lift companies don't want to share their data, that is their business, not our "right to know".

I could not get several of my day cards to work for the Ski Welt, but as it is not important to me, I don't care. I keep a regular list of my skiing days in my diary so I always know how many days I skied in a season. One of my Sölden cards did not work either, I sent the details to skiline and they could not get it too work - it ain't a perfect system. Simples!
rolling eyes

CANV CANVINGTON, yep quite a few more than 30 when you look at the whole system.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bit wierd how my SSP worked from Leogang all that week. There were no probs with Skicircus last year either as they are all up-to-date with the skimovies and other competitions etc... Be careful though, it is more likely that the people at skiline don't know what is going on and just fob you off... I had some very interesting chats with the big-boss last year and IMO he is clueless.
snow report
Looks like some snow coming in next few days, could be good on the glaciers.

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/salzburg/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun

Currently saying snow from Thursday onwards.
ski holidays
flangesax, interesting - I forgot that you were accessing it from the Leogang side for your anwärter course! as you say, probably clueless!

I tried loads of times to enter my card for lots of the places that are apparently on the database - some did register and some didn't. C'est la vie. I did want to know how "far" and "high" we got on a mega Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogange safari I did with some friends in early January. but sadly it never registered. My next skiing trip did automatically without me having to enter the card number again.

waynos, Might be going to Hintertux at the weekend although looking at that forecast I'll give it a miss and go the weekend after Toofy Grin
snow report
waynos, balls!
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue wrote:
[ rolling eyes

CANV CANVINGTON, yep quite a few more than 30 when you look at the whole system.

even if you count the t bars there is not more then 30 lifts in the taurn.. i thought it was all under one company.. that didnt want to get involved with the ski amade thing
snow report
From a glance (well a long hungering stare if you must know) at the Hintertux cams, it looks like it snowed a bit last night, pistie beasties all over the place this morning, doing their thang. According to that infallible guru, snow-forecast.com, lots more on the way. Sad I won't be out until July and all I'm taking is a tennis racquet and some rusty dinghy sailing skills.

But if Kitzsteinhorn hangs onto any decent snow I may yet manage a cheeky wee morning.
snow report
CANV CANVINGTON, does it really make that much of a difference to anyone who is skiing there?

If you read I said the WHOLE system - the lifts down the road are included on the pass too don't forget! rolling eyes
snow report
Samerberg Sue, what other lifts are included on an obertauern pass.. gongi down the other side way from radstat?
snow report
Cold NW front arrived last night, started raining quite hard around 11pm. Looking at webcams this morning was snowing from about 1300m, so the plan was to cycle 650m to the Planai mid station and hopefully to falling snow. 90 minutes of cycling uphill in continuous rain, town was +7 degrees, as I got to about 1200m temp gauge on cycle computer said 0 and the rain turned to wet snow, another 150m up and mid station and full on blizzard, snow settling on grass and trees. Goal reached. I was somewhat sweaty, spent 10 mins drying off and putting on the other layer I had with me and hats and gloves (last minute decision to pack those). Was wearing some Rab Event mountain climbing pants, got to say they are excellent, both water proof and breathable, normally use them for ski touring or x-country skiing.

Started cycling down and thought what a great idea goggles or sun glasses would have been! Was darn cold going down, did some tracks through the woods that I hadn't done before which was great fun. The Dachstein glacier is reporting 29cms fresh powder and holding temps of -8 all day. So if the weather is clear tomorrow morning I may pay for day pass, should be spot on powder. See http://www.snowreporter.com/schneeberichte/oesterreich/steiermark/ramsaudachstein.html
ski holidays
I have a mate at the Hintertux and he reckoned there was 50cm today... a fair amount even if it isn't that much!
latest report
Quote:

50cm today

This is true.
latest report
from http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=104&sid=3c31eea124e55b4593b98bc2f1de1476

Today at Kitzsteinhorn (Kaprun)
ski holidays
Didn't make it up Dachstein today as awoke to gloomy cloudy skies with showers and quite windy so didn't seem worth it, though snow depth up 40cm in last 2 days.
snow conditions
geoffers wrote:
Quote:
Hintertux is great at the moment. Even some nice powder up the top today.

Stubai looking good too : 19 lifts open & some nice backcountry/mini tours - off there tomoz for a cheeky weekend's freeheeling Toofy Grin

Ok - these shots are ~10 days old now (they've had more now since as you can see above wink ), but I've just posted a short slide show of our "excellent weekend" >-here-<
Stayed in the Dresdner Hutte (more like a hotel) at 2,308m so skiing was to the door - very comfy & good food
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This report just about qualifies for this thread. Yesterday cycled up from Schladming (740m) to top of Planai gondola station (1825m) with a few, fitter, friends. After a few days of unbroken sunshine we set off mid afternoon to the sound of thunder rolling around the valleys. Had a few patches of rain on the ascent. Took just under 2.5 hours to get up, the first half of vert is the steepest and then it's a long less steep route up. A quick change at the top to add on a layer or two, lower the seats and off we went. My cycling experience until the last couple of months has been restricted to areas of the Fens in Cambridgeshire, the concept of continuous uphill followed by off road downhill is all rather new and exciting.

We followed the worldcup mtb track down pretty much all the way to town, missing out a few of the steeper, tree root infested sections. At least half the track has been seriously reworked very recently, lots of huge banked corners & jump, the surface uncompacted and at the top very wet and soggy still. Snow? One section was still covered, so a quick ride down on the white stuff. Was starting to find my mtb mojo towards the bottom, the steepest section. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, very much like ski touring with the steady climbs, quietness, views and banter. The down is fast and exciting, not another soul to be seen. Today I'm off to look at some ex-rental downhill bike, I'm ensured the downhill will be much better on one of these compared to my hard tail. This cycling lark is rather fun but could get expensive. The planai gondola opens in a week, so will be lots more downhill action. Smile
ski holidays
It is dumping it down here, Zauch looks like the middle of deepest winter Very Happy wooooohoooooo!!!!!!!!!ski tour this afternoon Very Happy
latest report
Spent the morning picking up a new downhill mountain bike with intention of going up the Planai Gondola at Schladming as it's first day of summer operations. Due to some overnight snow could not going biking......

Kooky did you go ski touring? Sure was enough snow from top to just above mid station on the planai.
snow report
Hi all, hope everyone is having a decent spring/ start of summer, a very quick update (for those that are interested) on our new lifts been built in Dienten. Work is well underway on the ski crossing and lifts which will solve the last remaining hiccup in the HKR, this will negate the need for crossing the road in your boots, which whilst a touch traditional was a pain in the a-se. There is also a new ski centre, après ski bar, shop etc going in and it should all be ready to go for the start of next season which is good news. This now hopefully makes the HKR a good skiable 150km with a decent lift system, places to eat and even the odd après ski bar. I'll try and dig some photos out of the new lifts in due course.

Snow wise we have had a few falls down to about 1200m of late, which has led to some on spec sledding with our husky but apart from that its all been very sunny, all the talk in the village is that last season was a one off and this year, if we have rain in July (not sure on this logic) we should have a bumper season, who knows... Duncan - www.hauswasserbauer.com
latest report
Personally I could do without rain in Austria in July Smile
snow report
Byron Gates,

Hi how is the snow looking on the glacier at the moment? we are out on thursday and trying to decide whether to pack the skis or not?!?!? See you soon enough

and thanks
snow conditions
look4now, rent them from the Intersport shop at the Alpine Centre, it certainly is not worth the hassle of bringing all the kit out unless you are driving out and have lots of space in the car.

You will probably only find about 5 of the lifts open including the ones up from the valley. Last weekend only the gondola (Gletscher-Jet I and II) Gipfelbahn, Magnetbahn and one of the Kitz drags were open. The web site is showing all the lifts open today though - although that may just be a glitch. Alternatively it could mean that there are lots of race teams up there training ( http://en.kitzsteinhorn.at/news/openedlifts.htm ).

If you get up there early enough, then the snow conditions have been great, but with warm weather makes it pretty hard going after about 11.00am (which is when most of the race teams start to pack up). First public lifts start at 08.00 from the bottom station.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy