Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Snow Report 10/11

Poster: A snowHead
Did a small ski tour this morning up the now closed Hochwurzen mountain, one of the Schladming hills. A 650m ascent up a red run, a couple of skin tracks from yesterday to follow in. Was around zero at the bottom, -5 at the top (1850m). Was around 20-30cm of powder that had just got warm yesterday and was now compacted. Unforgiving snow but if you get the weight on both skis, get a bounce on and put in short turns then most enjoyable. Must say, i'm pretty unfit, almost killed me going up. Started snowing quite hard when we finished late morning.Snow line about 1000m

The ski in ski out car park.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tried Pass Thurn (by Kitzbühel) today. I had hoped that the piste by the Panoramabahn would be open to give a long run but that was wishful thinking. The only bits skiable were the pistes of the Resterkogel and Hanglalm chairlifts. The pistes were fine, though becoming scraped in places. The fun parks on the Hanglalm were in action. Off-piste there was much less depth of snow than, e.g., in Leogang. It was mostly pretty rough and with grass showing through all over the place.

The majority of skiers on the slopes were from English school groups (and seemed to be enjoying themselves). I had heard that the British economy was struggling but hadn't realised that things are so bad that the schools can only rent one ski for each pupil...

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another brilliant day in Ischgl today ... on-piste getting better & better & loads of off-road fun to be had on power & wind-packed. Knackered from many, many miles of queu & crowd free skiing except for the 5 pm chaos on the slush-fest which is piste 1a back into town. Highlight today was some nice, steep powder couloir skiing in Gampenalp and above Idalp, reminding me of good, Scottish rock & snow.

Scott Crusairs, Scarpa Spirits & Dynafits have been perfect for the ski mix this week. Genuinely couldn't have wished for anything better & will likely never step into Alpine boots & bindings again.

Amazing conditions here, really some of the best Easter snow ever. Considering all the pretrip doom & gloom from the European Alps commentators, it's like being in a parallel universe in Ischgl. Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
moffatross, early season, late season, have always had good times in Ischgl.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nozawaonsen, Ischgl is now going to be a favourite for Easter trips but considering the vast amount of easily accessible lift-served off-road skiing, I'd love to return in mid-winter too. Tomorrow will be my 30th day on skis for the 10/11 season and even if Scotland is shut for business by the time I'm back home, it's been a fantastic finish. With the return of both sunshine & warmth, it had regressed back to a bit of a slush-fest this afternoon so we packed in at 3.30 but pretty much all runs are still open and most of the 6 or 7 that aren't are still skiable. Wink I can't see the Samnaun links nor piste 7 making it through all of next week though. Photos to follow when I'm back home. Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moffatross, nozawaonsen, can you recommend any family friendly hotels in Ischgl? Needs to have easy access in/out, pool!, and early tea times for kids.....
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Obertaurern today for somewhere different. Started off clear blue skies, nice freeze overnight. Was expecting a warm day but mid morning it clouded over and never got that warm, though I was under dressed a little. Snow from top to bottom even in the car park. Tried the offpiste but fresh snow from fews day back now transforming so going crusty, maybe okay still where in shade. Piste are in top condition, more like winter conditions than the recent spring / summer piste. Surprisingly quiet, where is everyone? Will try Flachau tomorrow.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
moffatross, Glad you are enjoying it - its a fine place.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went to Flachau this morning. Started with a run down the flying mozart to mid station, was still very frozen so a little rough going. Not possible to ski all the way to the wagrain link, though I guess once the new mid to mid gondola swings across the valley that link can stay open even late season. After that popped back to the Falchau side, enjoyed nice soft piste conditions. Most the main lifts are running, all the beginner drags that are lower down are closed. The red 8 gondola closed which is surprising seen the long piste down that side are the north facing ones, maybe just not enough demand. Can still ski back to the base towards the achter jet gondola. East facing piste down to 800m, pretty good conditions considering, pretty much still full width of piste, a little brown now here and there. Tomorrow maybe a blast up at the Dachstein glacier, if it's a sunny morning.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dachstein glacier today. Worth it just for the views on the drive up. However the piste were in great shape, not surprising as there was 70cm fresh snow up here last week. Saw a couple of skiers climbing the ladder to the edlegreiss tunnel entrance. Not sure what condition the snow would have been in, an off piste decent from 2700 to 1700m, but mostly south facing, more info here (in german but google translate does okay job) http://www.powderguide.com/magazin.php?ID_Sub=2790&display=450 check out video at around 4mins, the rock band the skiers traverse, I think this is a variation of the normal route down.

I did venture off the piste and found some ankle deep soft snow on northern exposures whilst breakable crust on southerly exposure, not easy with SL skis on. Earned myself a cup of free coffee by helping a distressed young british girl down a rather steep off piste face. She slipped from the top without skis on and took a slide. I aided her down the rest of the slope with the help of her family. Turns out the family live in the same apartment block in town as us. Small world. Weather sunny and warm, spring has control now.

Six different ski area in 6 days, all within 30min drive, one walking distance. 5 out of 6 offering top to bottom skiing, one of those I did have to tour up!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anyone happen to know what it's like in La Rosiere?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio, Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Drove to Kaprun today but, arriving there about ten o'clock, when I saw the crowds in the car-park (P3), I just turned around and drove away again. I should have known. Ended up back at Leogang, enjoying the Kitzstein glacier only from the distance (in the middle of the photo) ...

Leogang too was busier than last week but still actually very quiet. Only two chairlifts working up the top. The snow and runs might have been better on the Kitzsteinhorn but Leogang was pleasant and less stressful. Pistes still reasonable, especially earlier on. The run down to the middle station of the gondola was best (and longest) but even there someone had spread glue on the snow by the afternoon. Off-piste I didn't find very enjoyable, mostly hard work in crud. I would have liked to ski for another couple of days this week but the runs do become a bit monotonous after a while. Maybe the season has come to an end?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos paulio, Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio wrote:

Oh, now I get why you asked that! Laughing
ski holidays
Haus for a ski today, Another spring day, getting warmer each day now. Piste open from mid station, in great spring conditions, all piste are full width, no rocks or mud. My 5 year old managed a steep-ish, west facing, black run, so very hard packed still, his first black, did a great job. Quite a few people out. Saw some very nice powder tracks in the peaks beyond Haus, I guess 2500m peaks, north facing, some serious ski touring involved and some pretty avi exposed lines on the way down. Haus due to close this weekend along qith most areas around here. Planai (Schladming) is scheduled until 1 May. Off for some single track mtb ths afternoon, last time I went mtb around here I ended up in hospital, hopefully I've learnt my lesson and limits this time.
snow conditions
paulio wrote:

Gash wink
latest report
A day off skiing yesterday. Went to the Untersberg cable car just outside of Salzburg. 450-1750m cable car ride. Dramatic views of Salzburg city to the north and to the south Hochkonig and the Dachstein to the south east. It's apparently possible to ski down from the summit, about a 20min walk further up. There's a piste route down but looks like there would be off piste variations. Will hopefully give this a go next winter.

Today went back up the Planai, first time since last Thursday when we were skiing a foot plus of fresh powder at about -8 degrees. What a difference today, by 10 was already slushy and well into the +teens. The remaining piste are getting thinner by the day now. Scheduled to close 1 May but will struggle at this rate, though some snow forecast higher up next week. A long way off, one the forecast would be wrong and even if correct not sure if the piste will survive many more hot days. Is very late season for here now and given the poor snowfall and warm temps it's a miracle anything is open. Having said that had a pleasant ski around, some of the quieter piste out of the sun still in great shape.

At the Planai station the diggers have moved in. The old surface carp park at the foot of the night race piste has been dug up and an enormous hole is being dug out. Not sure but heard there could be an underground car park and possible tunnel to the main road and also the new finish stadium for the 2013 WC. This end of town is a complete building site, new water pipes being dug in in many places, a new spar supermarket, a new media centre for 2013 and new slip roads from the main road being built all in the same area, surrounding where I live. Saw a couple of mountain bikers coming down the world cup track as well today.

Haus from a couple of days ago. Piste still very good shape.

Looking down from Dachstein (2700m) towards Hochwurzen and Reiteralm, 2 of the 4 Schaldming hills.

Dachstein as seen 20-30miles away from Untersberg, near Salzburg.

Planai today, starting to get thin in places, not all piste are that bad.
ski holidays
starting to get thin in places .. hahah Shocked
snow report
waynos, Nice update and pics. Thanks.

Yes, we had been told it is going to be an underground car park plus stadium etc.
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, still beats a day in the office.. hahah
snow conditions
waynos, think i'd rather be earning money than spending it on that..
snow report
Been a little slow to update on here. Was out last Sat (23rd April) at Reiteralm, one of the Schladming hills, been back in UK during the week. Early start and enjoyed spring hard pack turning soft during the morning. Was able to ski down to 1000m from 1900m, so 900m vertical was not too bad. Piste in great shape and quite a few to choose from.

Today, 1 may, last day lift served skiing anywhere local at Obertauern. Raining as we left Schladming, so not a promising start. Some wet snow as we arrived at Obertauern. Needed hire boots for son and wife (someone forgot to pack boots). Despite lifts being open the rest of town was very shut. So skied with flagensax and family for a few hours. The first couple of runs were pretty hard work. Was a few cms of fresh wet sticky snow on the piste, was snow sponsored by superglue, almost impossible to move. So went up the 10car gondola and had lunch at the only open hut. Afterwards skied down, conditions much better, maybe the wet snow had melted into the piste, did have a nice hail storm for one run. Was nice to get out in May, not the best weather but still fun. Some snow forecast later this week with cooler temps so a chance I may get out ski touring. We'll see, otherwise mountain biking.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 1-05-11 15:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
waynos, Thanks. Looking forward to your reports as the snow returns for 2011/12.
snow conditions
waynos, Debbie and I were in that hut yesterday - serves the strongest coffee I've tasted outside of my flat -really unexpected and had my eyeballs rolling for a while!

How do you insert pictures? I've a super one from yesterday Puzzled
snow report
Samerberg Sue, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=25601
snow report
cad99uk, thanks - don't think I'll bother then! Laughing Way too long-winded wink
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, I use Google's Picasa, just upload to an online picasa web album and then copy the link into a snowheads [img] tag, can adjust the size via a link parameter. I'm sure it's a similar process with flckr or other online photo albums. It's all free!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos, I have Picasa albums but have no wish to load them up here into the media zone. If there is another way can you PM me with the method please.
snow report
Samerberg Sue, you just use the image's direct link from picassa and put it in the [img] tags. No uploading required other than to your web album on picassa.
latest report
What's open and decent for the coming weekend please?
snow report
Mike Pow, The glaciers only I think - Hintertux is reported to be in super condition. I was on the Kitzsteinhorn the Easter weekend and it was good Stubai is also a good bet if it is open.

Most season tickets finished on May 1st which implies that the main resorts are now all closed. They do not have the choice of extending the season no matter how good conditions are as the land is privately owned. The closing date is agreed in advance and they stick to it.

I would check the glacier web sites as people do not think skiing now so many places shutdown completely in May and do the revison and maintenance work needed to keep their TÜV licenses and still be open for the main holiday season that starts at Whitsun.
snow report
I've just opened the web cam to my local area and am amazed to see snow on the ground - it was completely clear yesterday. Not sure if that means it is snowing everywhere. My village is at 800m and the web cam is at 1645m. The next nearest is at 1838m and it is complete white out there!

Could be good conditions on the glaciers this weekend with very few punters! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Mike Pow, Dachstein glacier is 100% open, http://www.derdachstein.at/dachstein/en/Home.html Quite limited skiing but snow was very good when I was last up there 2 weeks ago. Rain down in the valley right now so will be snowing on glacier given the cool temps today and for tomorrow.My lift pass run out as well Sad otherwise I would pop up for ski.
snow report
waynos, C'mon Waynos - man up, the Dachstein is not really worth me driving from my place to have a day skiing on it Laughing Let alone someon coming over from the UK!!! It is a great high altitude langlauf training area or touring area though.

Actually if I remember correctly that's what Mike Pow is into so maybe the Dachstein Massif is more in his touring field than just piste bashing. Laughing
latest report
Samerberg Sue, Is mike coming from UK? Anyway I thought you were into the freestyle / jumping thing, plenty of that at the dachstein snowpark.
snow report
waynos, Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked wtf - have you seen the braces I have to wear in order to be able to ski these days?

A long time ago at the dawn of time, I was known (infamous) for jumping on and off things like boulders, trees, cliffs etc! Didn't have parks in those days and didn't seem to need them either wink
snow report
Thanks all.

Will look into the options.
snow conditions
Hintertux is great at the moment. Even some nice powder up the top today.
latest report
Great thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy