Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If you HAD to go skiing at Brit half term (19-26 Feb)

Poster: A snowHead
...and you could find DIY flights at the same decent prices to France, Austria, and Italy...

Which one would you pick?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i'd be looking at resorts rather than contries and head for ones which don't have a big TO presence
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
horizon, For France.. I'd go by train... and go somewhere that families don't go...possibly without any pistes....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Italy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Resorts rather than countries is the way forward. Gressoney would be up the top of the list.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski, I'm already in La Grave 11-19 Feb with snowball and friends. But I need to go somewhere with the family - they'll fly somewhere and I'll drive from LG.

Easy for me would be Serre Che and Montgenevre, but no idea of TO presence there. I'd assume they'll be very busy that week with French kids - am I right? (or the fact that the Grenoble/Lyon area is not on holiday that week would help?).

Dolomites would be a 6 hr drive.
Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis - 7.5 hr, ok-ish.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
horizon, that week is also the Paris holidays.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

i'd be looking at resorts rather than contries and head for ones which don't have a big TO presence

I'd agree with that, but as it's also the worst of the French holidays (ie Paris zone) I think I'd probably head to some small Italian job.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have been to both Italy (La Thuile) and France (Valloire) during half term, and found them to be completely fine, never queued at a lift for more than a few minutes, pistes a tad busier than usual but nothing to be scared of. Don't listen to any of the "avoid half term at all costs" nonsense, it's balls. Just go everso-slightly off the riff-raff trail and you'll be fine.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Whilst in the Aosta valley by the way, we also visited Courmayeur and Pila - neither of which were unattractively busy.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
horizon wrote:
...and you could find DIY flights at the same decent prices to France, Austria, and Italy...

Which one would you pick?

Switzerland Toofy Grin

Seriously, carneval isn't until the first week in March, so that week shouldn't be too bad. Italy is obviously less driving for you though, what about the Italian side of the milky way or the Aosta valley. La Thuile would allow you access to .... wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Speaking of LA ROSIERE, we skied into it from La Thuile and found that although there was a 5 minute queue for the main chairlift out of town, right after lunch when literally everyone was using it, that it was - on balance - totally fine.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spain, fly to Toulouse and take it from there wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd agree with brian, I've been to Zermatt and Laax the last 2 half terms and neither has been busy. Even though this year was also Fasching week Laax was still fairly quiet.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
horizon wrote:
ski,
Easy for me would be Serre Che and Montgenevre, but no idea of TO presence there. I'd assume they'll be very busy that week with French kids - am I right? (or the fact that the Grenoble/Lyon area is not on holiday that week would help?).

We were in SC with Club Med last year during half term and will be there again this year from 19th-26th Feb with Club Med again.

Whilst there were a fair few French and Belgians there I didn't ever feel that is was overcrowded. Not that many Brits that we saw.

If it is easy for you, I would choose SC area.
ski holidays
horizon wrote:
ski, I'm already in La Grave 11-19 Feb with snowball and friends. But I need to go somewhere with the family - they'll fly somewhere and I'll drive from LG.

Dolomites would be a 6 hr drive.
Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis - 7.5 hr, ok-ish.

if memories serves me right, Equity and Crystal are the main TO's in Montgenevre. Crystal also have a couple of hotels in Claviere as well. I've been there once in high season and it wasn't too bad as long as you stayed away from Les Gondrans bowl. If snow is good, it's a massive area and the Italian side is much quieter.
snow report
I'd say either Italy or a big resort area.
I've done LaThuile/Courmayeur at half term last year and that was fine. Just avoid any lifts between 1.30-2pm that are the only way out of a lunch stop .
I've also done 3valleys at both NewYear and half term. Just get out away from the main resort runs. Parents don't tend to stray too far out so they can collect the kids at lunch time and so the more distant runs are quiet.

adrian
latest report
How old are the kids, can they carry their own kit?

If yes; anywhere with good offpiste.

If no; big frog place with ski in/out and good off piste.

Sorted!
ski holidays
I worked in Serre Chevalier and half term week was insane. Spanish Pyrenees, Baqueira on the other hand was comparatively a ghost town
ski holidays
We were pleasantly surprised at how quiet Champoluc (Monterosa, Aosta) was at UK half term this year - we expected hordes (as we had in Chamonix) but it was really very nicely quiet (not that the locals were pleased about that...)
snow conditions
I done La Thuile a couple years ago at half term and it was so quite. Chatted with some of the other British people I met there (some had driven) and most said they kept going there as at half-term it was so quite. Cool
snow report
quiet, presumably... NehNeh
ski holidays
Ive found that booking flights Sunday to Sunday is much cheaper than Sat/Sat over the half term week but booking the flights way in advance is the key !
snow conditions
Quote:

booking flights Sunday to Sunday is much cheaper than Sat/Sat over the half term week

certainly is, and makes the transfer less of a traffic hassle too, but it can make it harder to find accommodation
snow conditions
and it's now too late to book well in advance!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
and it's now too late to book well in advance!

True but some good deals are still out there if you look !!
snow report
Chris Brookes, great give us a clue then?!! Have you tried any of the Aurigny trips to LDA and Alpe D'Huez? Look excellent value.
ski holidays
Gsyfreerider wrote:
Chris Brookes, great give us a clue then?!! Have you tried any of the Aurigny trips to LDA and Alpe D'Huez? Look excellent value.

No and didnt know they did trips...post link please !!

We never use Aurigny or Flymaybe to get off the rock when going to Europe as they are so so expensive. When we do fly we always go via Gatwick !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Brookes, www.weloveski.com although just noticed it is only from here, I'm sure they were doing it ex Jersey last year
latest report
+1 for Laax, easy to get to, lots of accommodation, good mountain and overlooked by brits and french - mostly its just weekends that are busy....
latest report
Gsyfreerider wrote:
Chris Brookes, www.weloveski.com although just noticed it is only from here, I'm sure they were doing it ex Jersey last year

ta
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy