Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

board choice

Poster: A snowHead
i've been boarding 6 weeks now and skiing for 30+ years before. i picked it up fairly quickly and now just want to spend my days in the pow and off trail.

i had a rental board for the first week, a Rome solution for 3 weeks, and now have a Rome anthem which was a warantee replacement for the solution.

the anthem is great on piste on it's standard setback - really solid feeling on edge and fast. off piste, the slightest lapse in concentration and i'm over the bars! if i set back the bindings great off piste, but i feel like i'm not fully on top of the board at speed, the nose feels like it has a bit of a mind of it's own.

a mate has suggested a Nitro Pantera LX. anyone tried one? if not anyone tried something similar - ie burton supermodel, smaller rome notch, etc

also binding wise i've got burton missions, which don't fit my salomon f22s that well. i was wondering about slightly stiffer salomon binders- maybe calibers? anyone tried them and would they better suit the board (pantera - or similar) better?

oooh the joys of virtual shopping.

ps i live in ireland so it's really hard to get to a shop, and when you do they're shite!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hey Rogg,
Lots of options here and even more opinions with rocker freestyle powder sticks too confuse.
More info from you, will nail a short list much more to your advantage.
You seem to have a base knowledge about setback for pow but never mention weight or lenght of board you rode?.
Also sound like you go for it ie. over the bars.
That means no matter what board, you are going to have fun on a pow board.
How much you got 300 or 700eu?

No one will be able to help specifically though if you don,t give as much info as poss.
They will say stuff like -buy a fish and go to a resort, I did and it was great .
Never the less, keep asking Q,s it will help to narrow it down .

To much info is never good in the beginning I suppose, so too the boards you have noted.

The notch is a very different powder stick in "each different lenght" they are powder brds and you ride rome.You never mentioned lenght weight or terrain.
But best guess, its most probably the 62to64 range, with S-rocker as it will be easier.

The supermodel and Lx are probably similar brds, not fully dedicated pow boards .One particular pantera model is much more pow friendly or used to be, 07 maybe? and Slash is a pow board.

Bindings would be middle of the road, union force,rome 390 or salomon and for riding 3-5 too 7 hours in pow.
I couldnt now (maybe 5 if no heart attack) and stiff kit is out for any endurance sport in my book.

Some young fit guys etc can ride stiffer binders on shorter brds etc but on a big pow stick all day, no lunch in undulating trees, deep snow,you are pushing a serious amount of water/snow.
How long can you squat jump for, as a example and for how many days in a row.
The right pow board and lenght, will save you loads of energy along with mid range bindings to start,others will struggle to keep up or more commonly have a excuse of sorts.You pay for the pow day,how many are you going to get.?

A few of my boards are 320mm across the nose with good nose lenght 300mm? as well, one practically traverses up hill, gradually gaining untracked height with good wax/conds.
A supermodel could not follow it, as a equal. Getting Into fresh on a traverse or out onto untracked flats, its like Forrest Gump.

The SPX pro was the 100day a year binding, now the salomon Code I think.So midrange model.
The salomon SPX88,SPX90,Caliber are not real stiff though like burton c60,s.I have 88,s and spx pro.I always had toe cap probs.

The Union Force is great for me but main strap durability probs and other shitty niggly stuff.
If you are size 9uk or abouts, check before going L/xl as the heelcup will always move,better M/L .Sizing is important and the shops will say whatever moves the greater stock size they have or need too move at that point.

The newer Union force models are better for 2011 or a little bit every year,most won,t even know or notice.

Or you could try this,Forum makes a powder board the Roost164 ? or some dumb name its alot like a burton malolo
This will be very cheap in 07/08/09 camber models new old stock.I would not buy the flat 2010 based one.
The store in W10 LONDON did have one,no good for the kids image they will be around .
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ok

i'm 6'0", 42 years old and am dropping weight - down from 220 to 200lbs, i carry most of that on my chest - i surf a lot, like 4-8 times a week, 3hrs a session. i cycle to the shops about twice a week, 6 miles e/w and might throw in a couple of 20 milers for lung capacity (mountain bike). other than that there's daily dog walks and cutting the lawn etc. usualy do 75-100 lunges a day for about a couple of months before going on a trip, so when i'm there i am ok for fitness.

the boards i rode were 163 (solution) and 162 (anthem). i was thinking of a 162 or 166 pantera lx. i board mostly with a kiwi mate who did seasons in NZ through the 80s and 90s, with North american seasons thrown - i travel at the same speed he does, i've no choice really.

in terms of boards i thought i might go for a cambered tapered board. i haven't tried a rocker board, but my gut reaction to them is they're not going to be as solid for piste use. i'm not into spinning, though last year i spent a day riding switch (well falling on my back bottom actually) just to use for long calf burning traverses/flat run outs, because i surf it feels fairly unnatural to me. that said i have no real desire to 'go backwards', i just thought learning might be useful. if i had the time/money to try rocker, camber, cam-roc etc maybe, but for my 'i want my fix and i want it now' holidays, the tapered cambered route seems good.

so terrain wise it's whatever is there. quite like a trip through the trees, but mostly like big wide powder faces. whilst i might do a short (30 minute) hike to get to somewhere if i can see a good long line, we're not really into the more serious hikes. this years plans are a week in Serre Che and a week and a half (or two) in Canada.

i'm a uk 10 - i have salomon F22s which are UK 10.5 but they claim the boot/liner system makes the length of the sole smaller by one size - so i guess i'm a 9.5. might look at the union forces.

budget depends really. if i get £200 for my week old anthem, i'd maybe have a budget of up to £700 for the board and bindings........
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had some Salomon F24's a few years ago, and they were a terrible fit with high end salomon bindings from the same model year.

I've been riding union and flux bindings for the last few seasons, both are great, probably a bit more tech on the flux bindings, but both do what they're supposed to reliably and comfortably.

For a cambered/tapered board that can handle some deep snow, have a look at the Arbor Abacus - they are really nice, but bite back a bit if you don't own them on the groomers. It's got a real surfy feel to it. I've got one and love it.

Don't discount a rockered board though - they definitely handle powder without having to have tapered shapes etc. It's got to be worth a demo before taking the plunge.

I've got a rocker board and a tapered powder board, the powder board only comes out on the deep days, anything up to boot deep, with variable conditions, is definitely better on the rocker board. I surf too - and would say only riding a taper shape is like only riding a 7'6" gun - worth having in the quiver for the days that really leave you smiling, but not what you want to be using every day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
so in terms of my surf quiver i think i'm after a 6'5" round tail. (my quiver: 6'2" squash, 6'5" round pin, 7'6" pin, 5' 10" tow board) do you reckon a rocker is as good on piste as a cambered? i guess i spend my time maybe 50/50 on and off trail, just blasting about the resort trying to find the stashes.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rogg, I would suggest there is little wrong with a 162 Rome Anthem for you; more practice in pow seems the order of the day Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for the suggestion rayscoops, if you'd care to ensure my pow hours are increased - i'll send on my bank details (wow look it's the nigerian scam in reverse).

i found the Anthem way better on piste than the solution, but off piste the solution fared marginally better. i don't know if that's right, but just the way it feels. i want to spend more and more time in the fresh and trees so with my limited time available per year want to get the best out of it. i know i could do a budget hop for about £700, but if i go for a days heli (or a couple of cat days) in canada i want to feel like i'm on the right board. with the Anthem i'm not sure it is.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
burton sherlock, end of story.

pantera is a tiring board with crap graphics.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey Rogg,
The pictures painted well now, others will chime in and help,if you surf a quiver you understand some already and are going for it.Its good, your fit,your going to push it in canada.I,m envious too.
As with any assumptions, they may not be fully understood between surf and snowbrds in Hang11,s example.
His board is " abit" more a-"down the line"- type of taper brd.
Big tail, for example- more tail width than a similar Volkle 168 pow brd (in a 164cm arbor) 4 mm short of a 175 tail width.
People poo poo this stuff but if your weight and rear leg strength is same, its going to be a special day only brd.
Vrs smaller tail, shorter, more usable pow brd. (Think1x plane one brd Rogg ?)

Its terrain and conds that dictates brd choice for me at my fitness (older) and weight.You will be more versitile but no point restricting your pow terrain with stiff brds or design features,lenghts for your weight.
Also you catch a plane,canuks yanks Mrhang11 does not,but can carry a quiver in a truck.

I would buy in whistler, at prior snowboards and pay whatever and be done, they will help but press them for options.
Or ship to your hotel/ apt, having ordered here on net, if going more inland to the gold.
Or go test,its the ultimate.Multiple seasons buying equipment knowhow, in days to a lesser degree, save alot time later.But you will prob be on your own,not many will devote much time,they listen to trends markets and fashion.

Prior Sales are now on Rogg, on website, pick it up when you get in?? also bring me one back cause I like them and want another.
Fair reasoning,no! Probably not .

If your model/lenght choice is a "bit wrong" it will be way more "right" than you think.
This will be- " right in one type of terrain/conds mostly". So think hard about "that terrain and snow depths" as it really matters.Piste is only time wasted/ transport when its dumping or dumped.
Keeping it simple,think who you want too lead you in this,Prior maybe or on here, is probably better than some stores for overview of options,so you are ahead?.

Prior knows racing,they know deep powder,they know rocker for both, it does not get much better for a piste/pow brd company,customer base is more important to them.
They are a camber/rocker tips design and have real, race building experience, ie. holding a edge at extremes, if I had to listen too someone I,d start with Prior .
Others will pick Jones Image,I would wait couple seasons with them though, (as pretty much any new stuff),although I did,nt recently and its a predictable outcome.
We are on a Island and forums,my ride time is limited.I,ve wasted much on wrong or sub std equipment etc so take it or leave it.But I think this will be real close for directional pow riding thoughts.
Big mountain and big surf I never was a natural though.

Prior, maybe?
Rockered Khyber 165 for versitality most likely.Awesome in most deep pow terrain and low levels.Goes anywhere.Wind blown boiler plate up high??? so so.

A MFR 162 but only rockered.They will detail carving (its better) and stifferflex could be limiting factor, in very tight low snow conds.ie why shorter 162 lenght or number, it will ride longer on EE lenght.

Maybe a spearhead 166 its a hard one,have too ride it. This is special stick, it carves better than Khyber (more centered) but has a serious nose for pow and very high speed pow surfing.The E.edge is very short and in europe I would think 172cm would be bit limited in resort like a 168 can be with swing.
Unique
All Priors pow boards are noted by a much "more-so" central stance or setback,this similar setback is also common on big moutain hellmans sticks around the 20mm mark give or take 5mm on different model priors.
The shapes do the work, you work less, equals quality ride time, but you will just push harder and rip more.

You moved the goalposts too Rogg, now you want 50/50 piste/pow, though really, you want a pow brd I think. Otherwise just keep the Anthem comprimise like Rayscoops said and work it more.But on the best deeper day/week ever, you may regret it for a long time.Its a trip to rip, powder its the gold.
Examples.
A shorter 30mm taper board with big setback will run trees with a "little tail", no big bowl warp speed here, cause it drags its ass deep for control (even in low depths it works). Slow for control is all good and awesome fun in steep trees or "anywhere with a abundance of speed".
This is Hang11,s taper analogy with 7.6" gun (not a hellmans BM gun) and he,s 100% Right.Maybe he,s a salesman,he,s right he can,t be a salesman?Could be a honest guy.Now thats supicious?
Strangely a 07 burton fish carves hard pack very well up to medium speeds,not blacks.164cm coming this year, the market has moved,take note.More tracks!

A 20mm taper board like Hang11,s 164arbor is a bit of a- little, big beast cause-
it runs 9.6 thru 8.8mtr sidecut,
a slightlyfirmer pow flex,not stiff just alot width of stick
Big wider tail for more lift at 299mm and "down the line" speed.(Unlike above)
It also has longer EE, riding bit longer like a 65-66-67 maybe and is very wide at 264mm.
I am certain at 164, it would be a tough bitch in refrozen spring tracked out bumpy varible stuff as example.
Heard Those arbor guys surf nemberala, Roti a bit too.

Hang11,s Arbor It likes good new snow and some depth and not chopped bumpy varible low levels cause it can beat him up "a bit" in those conds so he rides a shorter rocker instead and enjoys the conds much more, fun.
Its sensible, its also in line with rayscoops suggestion if you think about it in relation to lower depth conds which are more often for most riders.

The 159cm arbor would be a bit more manueverable option for Mr hang11 in varible fresh conds,Trees, and bigger terrain too, it rides bigger, good big float, it would ride higher than a burton fish giving more speed.
But nether have real long noses,so the 40mm setback helps keep it up and the 164 in open terrain fresh pow will be awe,it will "come alive" in a big way over poo-poo snow.
These are good hikers boards like volkle selectas.
Rocker will make them even more versitile in more terrain /conds in a givern lenght.
If thats not close Hang11 let me know, I only got piste time on it but surmised this according too my other brds.
So you may burst my bubble.

So its strongly towards powder Rogg and a pow stick or keep the anthem as Rayscoops kind of says and cause you are fit, it will work pretty good in europe.

The help you are asking for though, is at Prior by email and phone,they are pretty good with this and will explain it way better and clearer than I ever can.
I have already done this and have 4 priors and a bunch of others but its complex having alot and not for most.
Which is my problem on the net,its kinda hard, takes too long with my literacy skills.
If you read into Hang11 and Rayscoops posts they are all right but its the last 20% of gain say, that is near imposs on the net I feel, until you are up to your nuts in it riding.
Like a shaper refines your next surfboard only on feedback from the last one.
I,s tired boss, gonna have a nap now.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Think Tirol is pretty on to it here.

I'm not a salesman Very Happy Just lucky enough to live in the mountains, with some sick waves just down the road, though it's a summer only thing for me since I got the wrong side of 40.

It's really hard to say what board to get, because it's the sort of thing that you figure out over time. Guess I'm lucky, living in the mountains and getting quite a few days in each season, so it's a bit easier for me to do.

But, just in my own recent experience, and it's just mine n- because a few people don't like the tech that much, I've found that riding a rocker/magnetraction board has really delivered for all around riding, becasue the magne traction definitely counterracts some of the twitchiness at speed on groomers that seems to be a bit of an issue with rocker boards. The rocker makes a big difference in pow, and means you dont need to be riding a board specifically set up for it, which is a bit of a compromise in anything else.

I'm riding a smokin kt-22 - directional shape, slight set back stance, slight taper, stiff and respnsive. It's a 159w, I'm 6'3" and about 14 stone, size 12 feet. I usually ride longer boards, but the rocker thing definitely allows a drop down in size. I rate it, and in surfing terms it's the all round board that I would be taking out in shoulder to head high beachies by default. Got it for a price well below your budget too. I had a season on a Bataleon last year, liked the board a lot, but think I prefer the smokin board.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 25-07-10 23:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
quite like the look of those prior boards. the MFR looks like it might fit the bill. it is (slightly) tapered, but has rockered camber, might be just up my street. (piste) in terms of taper though it's not a huge amount different to the pantera - 4 or 5mm.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rogg.

I'm 6.0', 186, and can give you five years.

I've got about 7/8 weeks on a 159 sk8 banana, and it's put the $hit eating grin back on my face. It really is a laugh to ride.

Not ultimately as stable on trail as a conventional board, but you get used to it, and it's not that bad. In all other respects it's better than me. Previously I'd been mostly on Timeless, anywhere from 158-168, but always run other boards out when given the opportunity.

Depending on where in Ca you go, some places offer unlimited test as long as you buy a board at the end of it. Mountain Riders in Whistler did, if they're still operating (it's been a while).

While I guess not to everyones taste, don't discount a mag rocker. I'm dead cynical about new $hit (often=hype), but this stuff has real validity.

G, email you next few days.

John.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rogg, if I won the lottery big time I would stump up some dosh for you to practice in powder Very Happy

Edit - I just noticed that you have only been on the Anthem for two weeks, which is your third board in six weeks of boarding

Seriously though, sometimes we just have to master the board we have before changing it. I have a 163 Flow Infinite, very stiff and quite tricky to ride/turn when I first bought it (5 years ago) with only 20 days of boarding under my belt but rather than changing it for something that turned easier I stuck with it and now I feel I got to grips with edge control so much more at the time than if I had bought a board with more flex and easier to ride. It is quite good in powder too (5' 10'' 200 kg and can also give you 5 years). Likewise you may find that if you first master riding powder on the board you have then any better board will be a dream.

I did buy a thrash around board (professional base repair) on ebay for £50 - Ride Yukon 164 wide - and I have only been on it once (knee/thigh deep powder on piste first week of season in St Anton Very Happy ) and it seemed to float like a magic carpet so there will be something out there for you that will be easier in powder, just bigger/wider than the board you have.

I would suggest you test before you buy anything though Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, i'd very much like to try before i buy, i guess where i live precludes that a bit.

i know the perseverance route might work. when i bought the solution (which i tried first) instant love. when i took the Anthem out first off, better on piste. very happy. off piste over the bars nearly every time. weight distribution all wrong. now i know you're going to day lean back further - i know and i did, but at any lapse in conversation down goes the nose and over we go. now i don't know about you, but trying to pick a line through trees or just noticing how beautiful the mountain is, or what a mate's doing is all part of it, and if that sends me cartwheeeling, there's something not right. so set the bindings back, one or two holes, up comes the nose and she rides proper well off piste, but looses the on trail edge security i so liked about the board.

what i want is a board that feels right (or closer to right) in those situations. to be honest i thought the Solution i had was a better comprimise - not quite as solid on trail but at the same time better off trail. if i could get a board as well balanced in terms of ability, but at the same level as the anthem, i'd be happy.

at the end of the day i board for a buzz. if i wanted to become anal about my technique and treat it as an object lesson in the virtues of concentration i'd take up skiing. Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rogg you could always ride switch on the tracks (with bindings set back for powder) - best of both worlds Very Happy not that I can do that Little Angel

Seriously though I am not sure that a really floating powder board will be similarly as good on the flat tracks; what you gain for the powder you loose a bit for other use and vice versa. As a few have suggested, maybe a rocker magnatech seratated banana thingy will provide both good powder and piste/track riding by virtue of its technology ?

If you do find the ultimate board let us all know because I would buy one too !

Alternatively buy a thrash around repaired Ride Yukon 164W, I just might have one for sale wink
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
(5' 10'' 200 kg and can also give you 5 years).

You must make some serious dent in the snow when you faceplant!

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Kruisler, Laughing

rayscoops, i've been told the pantera lx will feel rock solid on piste, like my anthem. the slight taper and wider nose will float better. i don't think it's described as a full on powder board - just a freeride board with a bit of taper to make it better off trail. i think it's what i'm after, but i'm now wondering about a slightly tapered cam-roc board like the prior MFR. 5mm taper, with a flattened rocker nose, but camber between the feet. i fancy there might even be a cambered anthem out too. don't know if it's tapered though. soooooo many choices.
ski holidays
Kruisler, I quickly learned that a low center of gravity helped in such circumstances so I haven't face planted for a while - except in soft powder wink and even in my fittest rugby playing days in swealtering Asia I could never get under 13 1/2 stone Little Angel helps when playing in the front row though !

rogg, to be honest you know a lot more about what is available than I do - taper/rocker/cam-roc - is all foreign to me Little Angel
latest report
rayscoops,

13 1/2 stones is fine... 200kg is a tad trickier... wink
snow report
rogg wrote:

the anthem is great on piste on it's standard setback - really solid feeling on edge and fast. off piste, the slightest lapse in concentration and i'm over the bars! if i set back the bindings great off piste, but i feel like i'm not fully on top of the board at speed, the nose feels like it has a bit of a mind of it's own.

a mate has suggested a Nitro Pantera LX. anyone tried one? if not anyone tried something similar - ie burton supermodel, smaller rome notch, etc

I've got a Nitro Pantera Wide. It's quite a stiff board and it's very stable at high speed. However it's not great when you go slowly or if you want to turn a lot, although wide boards aren't great at turning anyway. It's not a particularly forgiving board either.

I've never ridden an Anthem, however I do know somebody who had one. They seem like fairly similar boards though, so I'm not sure buying a Pantera would improve matters for you.
latest report
Kruisler, maybe I am not 200 kg ? how many stone / lbs is that ? I can still get my 163 board to float on powder though wink
latest report
rayscoops, 31 st 6 lbs Shocked
snow report
200lbs perhaps?
ski holidays
rayscoops,
I thought you mistyped kg for lbs! Laughing

200 kg is a lot as per what Neilski says! wink

31st+ and 440lbs..

You'd find floating a bit difficult at that weight! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Lager, how does it go off piste? - that's it's forte (apparently).
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
Maybe I am not 200 kg ?

Don't know what all these lightweights, are going on about, Ray, nothing wrong in being big boned.

I carry my 186 kilos quite well, although some of it tends to drag on the snow, occasionally....................
snow report
Rogg
Those panteras are highly likely bigger mountain brds not resort off P,thats why they carve on piste.Same as Prior mfr.
Off piste may be a death no fall zone type terrain,OK yes overstated dramatics but it may explain point quicker for you Rogg (ie terrain).
Nitro could,nt give a shite if joey from Milton keynes buys it, its got a heavy image he confuses with piste riding, they say powders good.It is, if you have a heli.
Characteristics as follows-
stiff will not work well at slow speeds.Unless even shorter- think Slalom vs Gs .You are slalom rider or bounce baby bounce at speed learning,you will pop your lens and still be wearing goggles, as your brain rattles.
Will dive the nose in pow for you cause, you are in resort off the side at 10 knots, not 30 plus knotts at xxx degrees
Very hard to turn, in tight terrain low snow levels at slow speeds, so the rocks/stumps you fall on will put you somewhere with white coats.
These are the 90,s 7.6" mini Guns ie small sunset in a 162cm snowboard, Rogg .A older rossi jones is similar shapes, flex ?? who knows but its stiffer.
Narrower nose for lightening edge to edge in steep terrain
All about high speed control in varing terrain up high.Lenght decides. da end

Now, News/point, rockered noses and little bit in tail on "late" models will make them more versitile, (note this) but if they are stiff read above, Mr Rayscoops puts it very well.
Then Mr Lager gives the good news for little milton Joey, after hes flown to canada, to sit on his butt asking where the resturant is, with is new unforgiving board still shinning, as the next salesman sells him another wrong board at top whak.

Read Mr Lagers post,I think posters are being very gental now.Ive turned abit brash for a positive reason of point hopefully.
Posters don,t want to say anything brash cause its subjective possibly but I think your Ideas 50/50 are not reality and at what depth snow?.Got a weather crystal ball, topo map, for terrain in a foreign country in the future.
Rayscoops got kneedeep on piste,His early timings were most important with workable board and a weeks+ cash saved in low season.
I think/believe I could know as I was the same as you Rogg!Still am, just couple steps up maybe.
Also a friend doesnt know what he wants and is similar he,s been riding for 20 years but just doesnt know the reasons why certain choices work.
ie A working board story- Hang11s KT22 smokein. for Nz varible terrain up to boot height, simple, fun .Terrain /conds noted, end of story.Its not cowdoo I,d bet on this one as 100% fact/fun.

Donek Snowboards Brit Bx Olympic sponser
Sean Martin -The design features for powder are not the same as race ,carve but quite different. Not word for word BUT from the man.
He can build it, a pow/piste stick, what % you want? its a custom board- a comprimise based on clients verbal wants.

Rogg, You need to read all who have offered accurate help and start again after recollection and a beer I believe.
50/50 is this really the terrain in canada you will ride?
If it was in a powpow heaven season, I would powpow everyday.You can carve with the best later in "may" in austria,test a Kessler oxess,sg.Thats carving.

I just think you can,t prepare exactly for both piste/pow with one board and 10cm fresh through 30cm+.
You do have too aim for a certain terrain/depth zone or move the bindings on the anthem senario.Its a transition zone for each rider givern many varibles.

Hope that does not offend or whatever Rogg no intent but think you may be on the wrong track at pres. I would study above posts bit,then shoot Q,s or feel free to shoot me down and I,ll adjust.
Now,it never ends?
I have a firmer 2010 powder board that does carve extremly well on piste easily, for what it is,its slow edge to edge cause its 260mm wide,(Thats a pow brd width - +4mm.Race boards are 190 -220mm quick ) it will dive more at slow speeds in wet snow than a prior Khyber. I know cause I drove into low angle to test them and shuffled to see what came to the surface easy.
Runout,speed carry, is very important to me,as Im older not fit like in the day but flex vs terrain/conds can change all rules.

My point -The prior examples I gave are as good as a stock excellent pow board will ever carve.They live powder and race on there doorstep.They are a boutique brand not corparate monster.The boards are very centered you dont change binding posi,you dont go over bars ever.
But its not really about Prior, as its just one option.
Mr Rayscoops scored the best option, early less crowds, fresh,real nice depth, cheaper riding.Gold

Eye Candy.
Check new Volkl Soul Surfer 2011 , a cross between Selecta powbrd and Coal XT bx brd.(average ££)
After that 2011 Atomic banger 161/164 banger. pow brd (cheaper) like a bx/pow stick kind of really.
Jones hoover carves probably like a 60 but its 156, I dont know .But it,ll be true with longer edge up the nose and big cut
Iss real tired now boss,gonna take another nap.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 31-07-10 2:21; edited 10 times in total
ski holidays
ah yes 200 lbs, I now understand the jibes Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tirol 164 wrote:
Rayscoops got kneedeep on piste,His early timings were most important with workable board and a weeks+ cash saved in low season.

I just dug up the old thread Very Happy boy was that a good 1st week of the season and even the last day of November Very Happy

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32750&start=40
ski holidays
For powder boards, these look sick http://www.gentemstick.com/en/stick/catalog09-10.html

Might add one to the quiver next year.
ski holidays
Have you checked the prices Hang11,whew.

For even more porn,check out Burtons, Gemtemstick copy,The Stellar swallow model 700EU,s at Hotzone.
The base photo is best if you can find it,I,ve no link sorry.The top sheet photos don,t look so good but interesting being a slotted ICS, swallowtail.
The big Alloy swallow tail tips and wrapped metal, right around swallow tail, looks quite special on the base side, ive never seen this before except on base side on a nose,which has a rope hole.
latest report
Got caught out of town this weekend, with only my shorter rockered board in the truck, and it puked. So finally had a chance to use it in decent powder. Considering that it's not a pow specific shape, with a fairly wide tail, and only a slightly setback stance, I was really impressed with how it went. It's 5cm shorter than I normally ride, and last time I rode a regular camber board the same length in freshies, all it did was sink. The rocker on this one definitely kept the nose up and the board moving forward. It wouldn't be my first choice of ride on a pow day, but it was fine.

So IMO, rocker of some form is probably well worth considering for an all round board that can cope with the freshies. And the rocker/mtx combo in a shorter length is still putting a huge grin on my face every time I ride it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy