Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nera Folgarida - and how steep is steep?

Poster: A snowHead
Swirly, yes, the top of Gours Bis is sporty - I remember of group of younger skiers really hammering down past me on that, and having great respect for them ... until they all fell. But somehow I find Grand Couloir more daunting - maybe because I have a bit of history on it over the years. Its one that I am very aware I should treat with respect each time I get ready to descend it. It's good preparation for a La Grave day, and generally it doesn't get the muppets that go down Valentin.

If the steepest part of Valentin is 31° then I agree with you, and I withdraw the comment about the LDA red - though I would be interested to know how steep Fee is.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 25-08-10 8:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's funny that if you draw 30 degrees on a piece of paper with a protractor you don't look at it and think "that looks too steep". It looks "about right".

I remember explaining this to my terrified Dad on his first trip. "Dad, that run you skied today was about 20 degrees, no more than that". He was completely furious going "don't talk rubbish, it was at least 45".
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here's an easy way to measure 30 degrees while you're skiing:

Lay one pole in the snow and leave a mark along the fall line. Then plant both poles - one at each end of the mark - and put the handles together. Hey presto - instant equilateral triangle! If the lower pole is vertical then the slope is 30 degrees.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulio, yeah slopes often look and feel steeper when you're stood on them, I guess it's an effect of looking at them from 6 ft or so above the slope.

Mind you if it's icy then 25 degrees can feel terrifying.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The only real way to judge, is to ski it yourself Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TallTone, yabbut I'd have to go to Folgarida.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
achilles, there are worse fates snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
58% according to the sign, though there are two signs I think..though I only took the picture of one

fairly enjoyable from what I remember fairly wide and only steep in a few places. Would like to see some of the night salomn at the bottom some time
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
papasmurf, That's probably the most informative piste sign that I've seen. However, I think it is also the most off-putting type of sign that I've seen - it might be better not to envisage the piste before comtemplating skiing it. That said I reckon I could manage all but those three steepest sections, if the picture is accurate, however, that's before I've stood at the top of them and looked down Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
well its certainly more informative then some piste maps I've encountered. I don't recall even the steeper bits being that hard, certainly been on harder runs else where..did have a very enjoyable day there(and Madona)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, and if you just removed an 'ET', it would be a piste for me alone Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne, Using % as a slope scale may be correct in an engineering perspective, but I think most people would struggle to translate that into actual poo-poo your pants scariness. My garden drops about 1 foot in 80, but is sloped all the way from the back door to the fence. . It isn't a 100% slope, but it is 100% sloped. What is the point in exaggerating this anyway. If people come expecting 60 degres, and the don't get it, they wont come back.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

If people come expecting 60 degres,

On a piste ... then they don't know what 60 degrees means.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow! That's some piste sign. I was impressed by the piste entry signs in La Thuile, all proudly stated the percentage of the steepest pitch at the top so you know which ones to avoid. But that one takes some beating!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
queen bodecia, I'd prefer the signs to say how big the moduls are. I had another look at that LaThuile slope in June with no snow on it. The first 10m still looked more like 72degrees than 72%. It's amazing what the eye does. I ride Manchester velodrome and thats 42degrees at the steepest part of the banking but appears much more.
adrian
snow report
agt wrote:
queen bodecia, I'd prefer the signs to say how big the moguls are.

You do sometimes get a white/blackboard in front of a piste where the lifties write on the conditions du jour. I'd like to see that more widespread actually.

Average/max gradient is useful info, but it's a small part of the overall "how hard is this run?" question.

As others have implied: 30 degree soft-n-grippy, 150ft wide is a doddle compared to 15 degree sheet ice single track road with a sheer drop on one side.
snow conditions
agt, there are hardly ever any moguls in La Thuile, the pistes are very well prepared.
snow conditions
I'm now going to refuse to ski anywhere which doesn't show me an accurate gradient to 2 decimal places for every 5 square metres of terrain. They must also mark each stone (only weighing more than 1 gram, I'm not fussy) and signpost where previous skiers have turned since the slope was last groomed. I think they should also erect poles to warn where people are currently stationary.

Off piste I want to see signs every 2 metres indicating exact snow depth, under snow terrain and snow stability under the current weather conditions.

Resorts that don't do this are just plain dangerous.
snow report
Swirly wrote:
I'm now going to refuse to ski anywhere which doesn't show me an accurate gradient to 2 decimal places for every 5 square metres of terrain. ....

Yabbut you're a boarder not a skier. Toofy Grin
snow report
From Nevis a couple of years ago Smile

"Rocks, holes, lumps, stream". Hahaha. Scotland, ladies and gentlemen.
snow conditions
queen bodecia, Thats why I like the place... that and the ice.

adrian
latest report
paulio wrote:
"Rocks, holes, lumps, stream". Hahaha. Scotland, ladies and gentlemen.

Surely that can be anywhere? More than once I've crashed into a bit of a gulley and heard running water beneath me. Flaine is infamous for some of it's limestone potholes off-piste. Lumps and stumps can be found anywhere (and can make good launching pads for the airborne inclined). That's the beauty of skiing, not Scotland I'd say.
ski holidays
Yeah, I just thought it was funny at the time. The sign looks almost proud of the fact.
snow report
Hi Papasmurf, could you send please me photo of that sign with Nera Folgarida slope profile in higher resolution?
Thank you. I bet about profile. Seems I lost, but I want to be sure, before I will 'pay'Happy
jalda
snow report
jalda, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy