Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

12 - 19 Dec - Snow buddy/ies wanted

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
I'm new to this site, and to skiing in general, and am looking for someone to go away with in December, as none of my friends ski or snowboard.

I'd love to go to one of the higher French resorts (and have seen some good deals for Tignes, Val D'Isere etc) but would look at Meribel, and other countries depending on the snow conditions. I'm a beginner/intermediate standard skiier - 31 year old professional female, based in the West Midlands area.

The ideal date for me would be 12-19 December, though the week before may be possible.

I'm not into heavy drinking and clubbing any more - I would prefer a full day on the slope, followed by a nice meal and a couple of drinks.

I'd probably want to take a couple of days instruction to get acclimatised to the piste, then I'd probably be hitting blue, red & possibly black runs.

Apologies if this is not the correct place to post this type of thread.

Many thanks,

Emm.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Emmeline, welcome to Snowheads.

Have a look at this thread started by someone else http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=65081

Might the trip they mention offered by Inside Out Skiing be suitable for you? (it is run by 2 Snowheads called Rob and Scott)

More info here

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/meribel.html

Probably worth a look based on your listed requirements?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Emmeline, As VolklAttivaS5, kindly linked to we are running a clinic that week and sounds like you would fit right in. No pressure but if you book this month we are doing a special offer on both the coaching and accommodation.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Emmeline, Welcome to snowheads Smile
I've already booked to go on the Meribel trip and some other female company would be very much appreciated LOL
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My advice - try and avoid going earlier than that, as you may find many resorts short of snow.

We are going away that week, but have a full chalet at the moment. We have gone back to Tignes because of the high altitude guaranteeing snow basically. Worth considering on any trip you are looking at, there's loads of deals out there for that week, but without snow a ski holiday becomes a little difficult Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been in Meribel that week. We got lucky, had some last minute snow - there had been practically nothing at the Meribel level up to then. No links to the other valleys open, but there was plenty available for just a few days. But higher would be better.

It's a real lottery, that time of year (which is why it's cheap.........)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone - I'll check out the links. I've not been to any European resorts before but many people have suggested that there may be a shortage of snow on the lower resorts.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks good - I'll check out the flights from the Midlands to Geneva and see what's what.
In the meantime though - I would still love to hear from anyone going to the Tignes area or similar and have space in a chalet/room/want to avoid single supplements Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

many people have suggested that there may be a shortage of snow on the lower resorts.

If the problem is lack of precipitation, rather than high temperatures, there might be a shortage of snow in the higher resorts too, though it's less likely. And if you went the week before, you would find many lifts not open. I think it's true to say that you'd need a better than average snow year to find good snow in most "average altitude" resorts on 12 December (and even during that week not all places will be fully open). Personally, if I absolutely had to book now for a holiday on 12 December I'd probably book for Tignes.

Can you not go later in the season?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
or go for that inside-out one. They'll find you good snow, and you'd get excellent tuition as well as good company.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One other thing to note, you mention hitting the red and black runs, but being fairly new to skiing - in my experience, the standard of slope in Tignes/Espace Killy is significantly higher than many other resorts in other countries. Worth bearing in mind if someone is prepared to do several of the black runs in Tignes, in my book they are a pretty advanced skiier. Just my 2p, but if you are looking for a ski buddy I'd expect you are looking for someone of similar ability.

If you were looking later in the season, I would strongly reccomend Rude Chalets - they have several chalets and the food is brilliant, the type of person who books in with them is a young professional (similar to you) and everyone was very much into getting to know everyone else and go for a drink, ski or board together, and the facilities and service were simply head and shoulders above all the other chalets or hotels we have encountered to date. If you are booking on alone, worth e-mailing Helen to discuss, she can advise groups who have several others booked on as singles and will want to buddy up. Only problem is that they are mostly in Morzine, which is low altitude by comparison to Tignes, I wouldn't want to do that early in the season in that resort - if you can go for Jan/Feb, there's always a cheaper week 2nd week in Jan, and the snow will be more guaranteed.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Monium, I also agree that the standard of slope in Tignes is more difficult generally than similar piste gradings in say Meribel or Courchevel, based on my experience. I noticed that straight away the first time I skied Espace Killy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks to everyone for all the advice and information received - I think I'm going to book that coaching week in Meribel Smile

I've checked out the flights, and while it's impossible to go from the Midlands on 12th (unless I want to wait several hours in Zurich for a connection!) I can go from Luton and come back to Birmingham - for £85 including luggage - woohoo! It's a bit of a faff with lifts and staying at relatives but it's no real hardship.

In response to some queries - I have to go that week really, due to work committments and having to use up several days of leave before the end of the year.

I'll be looking to go away again next year (not quite decided when or where yet) but I will certainly consider Rude Chalets for later in the season Smile

Thanks for the advice about Tignes too - maybe after the InsideOut coaching week I'll be better placed to ski the more challenging areas there Smile

Excited now! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Emmeline, glad you've got something sorted.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5,

Thanks - just got to book it up now - couldn't get through to them before (well I did but the connection was bad) - not sure whether to contact skimottaret directly. I emailed him a minute ago with my phone number, but it popped up on the forum. Not sure if just he can see it or everyone.....!
snow conditions
Emmeline, if you sent him a private message only he can see it. everyone can see what you post against the topic (I can't see your number)
ski holidays
Emmeline, Yipee.... glad you decided to come along on the coaching week at least I know I now have some female company Cool
I'm flying from Gatwick and arriving in geneva at 16.20 so if you can get a flight that lands around that time, it will make it easier for the chalet company to arrange the transfers. If you can;t then it won;t be a problem as they team up with other companies.
I will send you a PM and tell you a little more, then maybe we can both avoid a single supplement if you fancy sharing Laughing
snow conditions
Thanks everyone - I still haven't booked as something came up at work - gonna try and do it now Smile
latest report
Emmeline, glad you're interested in booking with us. skimottaret (Scott) wasn't able to take your call earlier today at he was teaching at the Snow Centre. I'm sure he'll get in touch tomorrow when he's back in the office.
snow conditions
Thanks Rob - I've managed to speak to Scott and everything is now booked! I'm really looking forward to it Smile

Thanks again everyone - for the advice on the holiday, resorts, snow conditions and how to use the website - I'm so glad I came on here!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy