Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rescuers searching solo female skier heading for North Pole

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Rescue helicopters are trying to locate a Finnish-French explorer, who is attempting to become the first woman to ski solo to the North Pole. Her name is Dominick Arduin, and this is her second attempt at the goal. She set off last Friday from northern Russia, and has not been heard of since Saturday.

This report from Expatica. Let's hope they find this brave lady.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So she is mising somewhere in the first 25km... she shouldn't be too hard to find. I'm a bit in two minds as to whether to encourage these bizarre events by organising rescue operations. I"ve always thought, for example, that Sir Ranulf Fiennes was a bit of a crazed publicity seeker rather than a heroic explorer pushing the boundaries. Reading his book about the North Pole trip didn't really change my opinion.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure that I'd agree with that. Sir Ranulph Fiennes just ran a series of seven marathons in seven days across seven continents. Does that impress? OK, some of his polar quests were pretty breathtaking in terms of submitting the human frame to the point of destruction, but I think people like him (and Dominick Arduin) tend to lift the human spirit a bit.

Yes, they tie up more resources than the apparent simplicity of dragging a sled across the wilderness but they do draw attention to the far reaches of the planet, which we need to take care of.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This type of exploration is thoroughly commendable. I understand that these explores have a rescue budgets and if the don't or they exceed the budget they accept that they'll be left to freeze.
What gets me are the clowns that bug off down some back country wilderness, on their own with only a packet of fags, a shell jacket and a wooly hat to sustain them.......I'd let this lot freeze!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And they do, regularly
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not looking good....

EXPATICA UPDATE
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Indeed, this latest report from Expatica has an even more pessimistic tone - little chance of finding this determined adventurer alive, it seems.

Just how determined she is is revealed in the last paragraph of the story.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm great determination and all but possibly a little madness as well, most normal people would have learnt something by their first experience, still I guess that things are likely to have a poor outcome given the length of time, given the location it is quite possible she will never be found Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mad or not, it's a sensation quite a few can identify with, like leaping out of an aeroplane for the first time, climbing without ropes, diving among sharks (ok, admittedly a relatively harmless variety).... the rush of knowing you've pushed your limits back just that little bit further, challenged your own fear. Makes you feel a little more 'alive' (assuming you survive to tell the tale, of course!)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiing on Thin Ice Crying or Very sad

It seems like the missing French woman has fallen through the ice to her death. Traces have been found of the skier leading to a zone of broken and refrozen ice according to a report on AFP. Long range Russian helicopters were searching the area yesterday with thermal imaging cameras.

She was crossing a zone of 2 days travel (55km) over ice thinned by global warming. She was pulling an 80kg sledge loaded with equipment and supplies for her 2 month trip.

Another French skier, Frédéric Chamard-Boudet, had been rescued in the same area earlier after falling into ice. M. Chamard-Boudet is still in hospital suffering severe frostbite.

see also: http://www.thepoles.com/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
well I guess that's that Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes they've given up the search. The assumption is that she or her sledge broke through the ice and she sank to the bottom of the ocean. Nasty and I don't think it was worth the risk. She ended up in the water last year on a similar trip.

The comparison with the adventurers of the past, like Columbus or Cook doesn't hold up I think. They were boldly going where no one has gone before, seeking out new civilisations and split infinitives etc etc etc. These events are more like stunts - why not first woman to reach the North Pole in a bikini next time?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm inclined to agree, it's one thing to do serious research in these places quite another to do these sort of things for publicity. Still sad though Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's a bit like saying we shouldn't organise marathons because people have done them before.

Solo feats of endurance raise the game and interest the public. If someone has an original angle on something that's been done before, but adds to the challenge, haven't they got a point?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith wrote:
That's a bit like saying we shouldn't organise marathons because people have done them before.

Well we shouldn't organise marathons on badly frozen lakes anyway.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy