Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your very first time on snow...

Poster: A snowHead
Me 1980 Verbier, note the Hanson Boots. Laughing

Me 1982 Val D'Isere, with Konrad Bartelski and Grand Motte

Kitty 1983 Les Arcs

Kitty 1985 Isola 2000

Me 1985 Isola 2000, Event Goretex fartbag, my one and only ever fartbag.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pink stripes looked the business in the 80s!! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
this thread needs a bump

current leaderboard is here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=65978&start=120#1576305

come on dig out some old photos !!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How did I miss this thread first time round Shocked wink

Well here we go, my first time on skis I think, certainly the first photo of me on them and I guess my first time off piste too Wink snowHead

I was around 2 years old and still have those tiny skis (and the larger ones to the side which belonged to my dad, sadly now missing their ancient cable bindings so if anyone has a spare set of similarly old bindings do let me know so I can make the skis complete once again!). The photo was taken in our then garden at the foot of the Campsie Fells Hills near Glasgow and that's our then pet labrador Corrie sitting by my dad's skis ... not a bad igloo either eh? Cool

This one I think was taken around the same time, maybe a month or so later but this time I was trying on dad's skis, just a smidgeon too big IIRC Wink

I still have the bamboo, yes bamboo, poles (or sticks as they were called then ... and still are in Scotland) although they're not quite so high above my head these days ... not quite Laughing

My first 'serious' skiing (as opposed to messing around on those miniature strap on skis) came a few years later when I was 6 and we went for a holiday in the then quite buzzing and relatively new Aviemore centre and I skied Cairngorm for the first time - happy memories!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
roga, You were impossibly cute....wonderful piccies!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
^^^ +1 Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kooky, Hurtle, aaaww shucks thanks but less of the past tense please Wink Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well I found my black and white school ski pic from 1977 but I have no scanner. So I'm going to try and shoot it and see if that works. I don't think I'm any competition for DAB/kooky! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, shall i take that as a compliment!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
so is DAB now kooky???
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kooky, most definitely! Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Finally some pics. They're so old they're almost sepia! Note the nasty 70s collar and leg leashes! Laughing Laughing

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, roga very very very good
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, gorgeous! Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skimottaret wrote:
so is DAB now kooky???
Yes.
snow report
queen bodecia, what a beautiful child you were!!!! Where DID it all go wrong??? wink Laughing where was that???
skimottaret, You know that.....i have posted on snowsports as Kooky....had to after I posted that bloody pic;) on your thread!!!
ski holidays
Sorry no pics - Fox Talbot was still working on it.
1st time on skis was at Glenshee late '60s. Lace up boots, cable bindings, wooden skis, sh i t snow conditions, poor weather, didn't learn much. Amazing really I didn't jack it in there and then. Second wasn't really on snow. The big outdoor slope in Edinburgh at Hillend. Dry slope thumb !!! Altho' I skied it once with some snow on it - seriously fast then.
snow report
kooky, I got old! Laughing Laughing

That was Niederau February 1977.
snow conditions
[quote="Dubaian"]1st time on skis was at Glenshee late '60s. Lace up boots, cable bindings, wooden skis, sh i t snow conditions, poor weather, didn't learn much./quote]

Sounds like a day I had at Glenshee last season Wink
snow conditions
roga, what a cutie - aaah Toofy Grin

queen bodecia, lovely pictures! snowHead
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
Me 1980 Verbier, note the Hanson Boots. Laughing

Dude looking cool, are they walkman headphones round your neck? Talk about ahead of your time there's so much cool retro there you could easily wear that ensemble today (not too sure about the fartbag though)
ski holidays
betterinblack wrote:

Dude looking cool, are they walkman headphones round your neck?

Walkman Mk1, still got it, in original case, piece of history, couldn't throw it away.
snow report

Second time, six weeks after the first............Montgenevre '97.

Can't get it to be more than a thumbnail, doh!

Anyway, try pinning the tail on the donkey (Pre boarding, natch).
snow report

BCjohnny, I would love you to be third from right Toofy Grin
snow conditions
oops, tried to fix for you BCjohnny, but cathy's pipped me to the post!
ski holidays
cathy, ding ding.........

We have a winner.

sherlock235, thanks
snow report
Dubaian wrote:
Sorry no pics - Fox Talbot was still working on it.

LOL, surely not Wink
Quote:
1st time on skis was at Glenshee late '60s. Lace up boots, cable bindings, wooden skis, sh i t snow conditions, poor weather, didn't learn much. Amazing really I didn't jack it in there and then.

Sounds familiar although I don't remember that much about my first skiing at Cairngorm when I was 6 my dad's diary suggests conditions were less than ideal that Xmas week at Cairngorm and I spent some of it at the old Aviemore dry slope rather than braving the hill!

When I started going regularly with my school, by then we lived close enough to Cairngorm to do it every weekend in the season, I was lent kit by the school which must have dated back to the 60s. Gawd it was awful with cable bindings and leather boots being de rigeur, the leather boots had buckles though rather than laces so all mod cons there! I remember being amazed at the kit (owned) that the older kids who were good enough to go race training had - cool plastic boots and step in bindings and as for their clothes, well lets just say it contrasted immensely with the cagoul, balaclava and baggy waterproof over trousers I had! Sadly I don't have any pictures from that era as far as I can ascertain, would be good for a laugh though!

And that brings me onto ...
Quote:
Second wasn't really on snow. The big outdoor slope in Edinburgh at Hillend. Dry slope thumb !!!

Ouch, you didn't have much luck eh!

Mind you Hillend was the nemesis for my first pair of new (as opposed to second hand) skis Sad

Having got rather fed up with the ancient school equipment I managed over time to upgrade with second hand, but far newer kit until the point a few years later when I'd saved up enough money working over the summer holidays to buy a brand new pair of Rossignols, boy did I love them. Being desperate to try them out I grabbed some time on the Hillend slope when we spent a few days in Edinburgh one August. This was in the days before they'd installed sprinklers and guess what, after a few runs down the slope I started to smell a hot plasticy smell and when I realised on investigating it was my bases melting I did the worst possible thing and poured cold water over them - aaargh, this made them worse and created a rippled pattern right down the melted area and effectively ruined the skis! Not good and no matter how much p-tex I tried to use to get them right again they never recovered! It's a wonder I still ski on the dry really but these days I'm pretty careful if I'm using my better pair of race skis and smother them with extra hard wax before every excursion, that and the fact that sprinklers make a hell of a difference has saved me from a repeat performance with the melting bases!

So, in the spirit of this thread, here's a picture of me at Hillend that very summer (not sure if this was before or after the melted bases but I guess I probably looked even more sulky after it happened!):

Just goes to show that even cute toddlers can grow into sulky teenagers doesn't it Wink
ski holidays
scotia wrote:
Sounds like a day I had at Glenshee last season Wink

LOL, you were unlucky last season but then Glenshee wasn't that great late season as I recall ... shoulda come to the Gorm Wink
cathy wrote:
roga, what a cutie - aaah Toofy Grin

Thanks Toofy Grin
Quote:
queen bodecia, lovely pictures! snowHead

They are, really nice shots Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy wrote:
BCjohnny, I would love you to be third from right

BCjohnny wrote:
cathy, ding ding.........
We have a winner.

Fantastic! Toofy Grin
latest report
Missed this thread over the summer, so it has been a superb lunch hour for me perusing these. Will have a did through the pix and see if I can find anything suitably amusing.
snow conditions
I looked (and skied) like a god in 1988, and I continue to look and ski like a god now. Well, these days it's more like Buddha if the truth be known....
latest report
Dubaian Sounds like we may be of a similar era: I started in my late teens at Glenshee in the mid 60s, in lace up leather boots and cable bindings, in the days when the Butchart's T-bar was triangular. with a dog leg on the way up. No photos of that era, my only skiing photo is below, taken in the early 70s on a BA ski club training week at Zell am See. Note the early plastic Koflach boots, which had a plastic shell with a leather flap on the front to which the clips attached (probably also helped keep melting snow out). Looking at the photo for the first time in years, I realise now why friends nicknamed me "sparrowlegs."

snow report
The Voice of Reason, pictures ot it didn't happen.
ski holidays
to add to my first ever scottish pic on page 1, I just remembered my first monoboard experience on a hot spring day (march 1991) in Puy St Vincent I believe...

latest report
kitenski wrote:
to add to my first ever scottish pic on page 1, I just remembered my first monoboard experience on a hot spring day (march 1991) in Puy St Vincent I believe...

Wow impressive, was never brave enough to try one of those but you look good! Very Happy
snow report
Zero-G, he is but a mere figment of his own imagination wink
latest report
kitenski, very sweet mono board steeze.. i have yet to see a mono board at hemel..
snow conditions
kooky, it's like hearing voices when there's no one there.
snow report
oh have not laughed so much in a long time! I now have visions of my c&a ensemble c.1981 aged...mmm hang on if I am 29 now, that would make me zero then wouldn't it! Laughing

anyway, am going to devote sometime to scanning in said pics. And probably a LOT more time locating them....
snow conditions
roga wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Wow impressive, was never brave enough to try one of those but you look good! Very Happy

And he was brave to try the monoboard too Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy