Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Three Valleys 2010/2011

Poster: A snowHead
Great day today going all the way over to La Tania. Took a quick detour up Mont Vallon after crossing over at the Chambre. Lac de la Chambre and Combe de Vallon were great early runs. Sitelle down into Mottaret, as on previous days, is holdig up remarkably well considering the time since last snowfall and the amount of traffic it gets.

Pas de lac had a massive queue (doesn't it always) so we took a risk and took the Trout down to Méribel Chaudanne. Slushy at the bottom but the gamble paid off as Saulire gondola had hardly any queue.

Creux down into Courchevel was also a great run down but a bit worn down the left hand side where it gets more sun. Suisses was icy but fun. Lanches and Folyeres down into La Tania were also in good shape despite the warning at the top of thin snow which proved overly pessimistic.

After lunch, lac bleu in Courchevel was an absolute slush fest. Heading over to Méribel, biche was fine higher up, but heading below the Ronnie to Chaudanne, we only just made it as the pisteurs were in the process of closing the piste. By the time we got on Tougnette to start heading homewards (3.15pm), a piste basher was above the Chaudanne, pushing the slush about. I still have grave concerns about the lower Méribel resort runs lasting much longer without considerable change in the weather which according to a boarder we spoke to on the Tougnette lift is not forecast.

VT runs homewards were fine although by late afternoon the Goitshel was a bit scraped and icy.

So in summary, good ski-ing still to be had especially higher up although concerns about Méribel remain. Oh and the burger at Pub le ski Lodge was ace.

Pictures on the links below - these are large.

http://www.devachat.com/images/ski2011/09032011113.jpg - Méribel valley from Mont Vallon
http://www.devachat.com/images/ski2011/09032011114.jpg - Mottaret and Méribel from just below Platieres 1
http://www.devachat.com/images/ski2011/09032011116.jpg - Warning sign (overly pessimistic) at top of La Tania run, a familiar sign throughout 3V.
http://www.devachat.com/images/ski2011/09032011117.jpg - The Ronnie surrounded by greenery
http://www.devachat.com/images/ski2011/09032011119.jpg - Thin slivers of snow wind their way through Méribel
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
conversley weheaded frrom la tania to vt hugee queue from cote brun and lower lifts i vt but once on grand fond queues ok to ecxcellentdid bouchet and peyron had great fun, up peclet also good on way home agre esitelle v.enjoabblehome run to motterat also lots less icey thank previos year no queue for pas de lac creux variable and slushy hanrossa red v.good then played around boilley before headingback folyerev good in a slushy in all a good day
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
another tripo to VT today with the ski host, she found a better quieter route than mine yesterday and we didn't ski much of what we did yesterday, Jeursalm had lots ofppebbles on the top steeper section but sitll enjoyable, sbow on upper Les Menuires slopes still good but crowded, VT snow good especially off Col and La Moraine, had a late lunch to avoid queues and back via Les Menuires, Bvd Cumin slushy, Mouflon into Motterat had some nice mid sized bumps, Dou Lanches still in excellent condition, and Fouyleres still holding up well great when just gfroomed this morning for a warm up and at just gone 5 empty, with nice grippy slush - oh and sunny all day Very Happy in all a great time Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
last day. cloudy and windy felt cold higher up but quite mild low down, stuck to Courchevel area as links shut / threatened, open runs down to La Praz and 1550 porridgy but fun! Higher up wind swept and hard, only cable car sunning to top most of day but no queses, combe sauliere good am, pylons am hard and poor visibility, suisse late pm very interesting, runs back to La Tania; Bouc Blanc and Fouylere brilliant runs home, did Fouylere twice. Home tomorrow hope they get snow
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevew wrote:
Jeursalm had lots ofppebbles on the top steeper section but sitll enjoyable

Jerusalem is responsible for two core-shots to my board. Loads and loads of rocks yesterday. I also had a hilarious and somewhat embarrassing wipeout, going for huge air off one of the rollers and binning the landing. Cue a 500m on-his-back-like-a-turtle slide at 60km/h. Awesome.

Given how warm it's been for the last week, the pistes in the whole of the 3V region are holding up surprisingly well. Not sure how much will be left lower down once this weeks rain is out of the way though...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just back today from the 3 Valleys and conditions are very much as reported in my opinion. Some great skiing to be had, the blacks and reds above C1850 were great in the mornings. I also really enjoyed the snow high up in VT although it was a trek to get there as we stayed in C1650. Mont Vallon was a blast as always.

If I am being honest the piste’s have taken a bit of a hammering in the blistering sun but the bashers are working like hell throughout the night and there is plenty of skiing to be had. You might want to rent skis though as mine took a battering Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Things might be looking up though as a fair amount of snow forecast for later this week Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alti - dude wrote:
Things might be looking up though as a fair amount of snow forecast for later this week Laughing

Snow line looks to be about 1900m for the middle of next week. Meribel, Tania and C1650 are going to be a bit of a mess...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Staying up in Hotel Crystal 2000 from Sunday coming sounds like a good choice then Very Happy

Any local forecasts out there?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Forecast is for snow Wednesday, but looking out of my window at the moment, that's about as likely as the English football team winning the world cup.

Courchevel is empty today. The Croisette area, normally heaving with ankle biters is looking brown and empty. There was officially 2 cm of snow overnight up in 1850, but that looks like the ice in a glass of mojito - soft and wet.

Basically, it is still possible to ski, most of the runs are still open, and there are absolutely no queues anywhere. But bring your bathers. Leave your thermal underwear at home. There's no danger of speeding. Whereas the dry period in February meant the slopes are full of ice, the good news is that there are no more hard icy sections (except maybe on some black runs high up). Parts which would normally be icy are now soft and slushy. Even if it does snow, current daytime temperatures will melt it away pretty quickly.

If it continues like this next week, its probably time to get the mountain bikes out.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowmonk, thanks for that. glass half full here though and you've not done enough to bother me Very Happy

a bit of biking sounds alright Laughing

I guess my dreams of skiing the couloirs in a a foot or two of fresh powder are looking pie in the sky! Mind you, stranger things have happened!

Can't help but notice that all the weather is heading to the alps from the warm south at the moment.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowmonk wrote:
Courchevel is empty today. The Croisette area, normally heaving with ankle biters is looking brown and empty.

That'll be because the school holidays have now finished... The few pistes I skied/saw heading up through 1650 to head off out the back looked/were pretty good - only Granges looked a bit thin...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shoogly wrote:

I guess my dreams of skiing the couloirs in a a foot or two of fresh powder are looking pie in the sky! Mind you, stranger things have happened!

Can't help but notice that all the weather is heading to the alps from the warm south at the moment.

Indeed, this was arrival day in La Tania, sunday april 17th 2005, was snowing all the way from the airport to resort.

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking at a holiday in VT end of March. How is the snow there? We will have our 3 year old, so won't be doing extensive skiing. We're thinking that a full area pass would be wasted on us as we'd only have a couple of hours in morning while wee one is in ski school and that is if he gets a place in ski school. It's either there or Italy, but the holiday in Italy is more expensive and this is just going to be an additional break, so looking for cheap. Although the hol in Italy is half board where the VT one is s/c so we will need to factor in eating out costs.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gilly28, if you're only thinking of sticking with the VT pass then you'll be fine, I was in VT on Friday and the snow was the best of the 3V and whilst a lot less than normal was more than enough to keep all the runs open iand in good nick
snow conditions
Quote:

If it continues like this next week, its probably time to get the mountain bikes out.

Would have taken our bikes to the family bash (and La Tania the week before) but someone has stolen them. Looks like we will have to ski. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Had about 5cm of snow on Sunday night. Most higher lifts closed for much of the weekend due to high winds (gusting up to 100kph) - looks like a lot of people stuck in the wrong valley when the liaisons closed. getting warmer, and very slushy under around 2000m, though conditions not too bad higher
snow report
Given this hasn't been a good year for the weather, should we cheer ourselves up with a 2011/12 thread? NehNeh
snow conditions
At around 2pm today in Courchevel, there was the tiniest of windy snow at the top of Saulire. Snowfall being so rare this season, I was actually surprised to see it and had forgotten the sensation of snow falling on me. Of course here's hoping for more (much much more and heavier). The weekly resort magazine had predicted snowfall everyday this week, but I have long given up relying on that. I actually think it's either someone pushing the random snow forecast button on a computer, or just marketing trying to keep the weekly guests upbeat.

Anyway, if you're in Courchevel, it's time to take the bus up to 1850, jump on Verdons and then head straight on the Vizelle or Saulire cable car. Anything below about 2000m is slush, and anything below 1850 is (brown) breakfast porridge (except maybe first thing in the morning). But I will say that the run from the top to the top of Verdons was actually (relatively) enjoyable, and it reminded me of what snow felt like again.

Also, if you're using your own new or newish skis, be prepared for them to meet the numerous pebbles strewn across the pistes.
snow report
I'm trying to find out what the conditions are like around the Pralong piste area as that's where our hotel is that we go to on Sunday.

Following on from this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1753699#1753699 i've found it very difficult to get any webcams to show me the latest pics.

So, anyone got any info on conditions in that area. Due to it being my folks first ski holiday i reckon that piste is where they'll spend the majority of their skiing time.
snow report
shoogly, it was fine last week, slushy near the end of the day but still lots of cover
ski holidays
stevew, thanks.
snow conditions
Will there be anything left at Easter Puzzled Confused Sad
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:

Nope, it will all be gone, haven't you heard they are closing early??

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
20-30cm of fresh on Mt Vallon. This dump will have helped from 1800 upwards
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy
ski holidays
my spy in a pub in Meribel reporting 50cm fresh up top.....
snow report
Had a wonderfull week last week in Courchevel, hoping for one last trip so fingers crossed it may snow just once Smile
www.adventuresportsgroup.co.uk/snow
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, after how many beers? Laughing
snow conditions
I would estimate a good 40cm at favoured locations above 2500m in Courchevel. Much lower and the snow was heavy (not powder) and more compacted.
snow report
Megamum wrote:

Of course there will be... Blush
c'os we are going !!! Little Angel Little Angel

Just spoke to our chalet (St Martin) and they report snow this week gone - 30 cm above st Martin 1.
They are really positive and upbeat due to the hard work of the piste bashers & snow cannons.

It can;t be any worse than Christmas 2006 (our first trip to St Martin) where gravel was showing thro' everywhere.

They admit a poor off piste for anyone wishing to do so.

Can we have more info for St Martin Pleeeeaaaasssssee... Laughing
Paramint / Jarusalem, Le Grange, although we will head up to Val T & across to the higher part of other valleys.

Can't wait..... Trying out some skis at Tamworth next week.

Noisey Razz
ski holidays
Excellent conditions in Courchevel today. Well from Verdons up anyway. From 1850 to Verdons, there's snow cover but is quite heavy. 1850 down, is still a swimming pool.

But above Verdons, there's plenty of snow offpiste, and it was nice and soft (which I tested fully when I faceplanted and fell several times without a scratch) until the afternoon, when some sections were starting to crust up. It was also my first attempt at the Grand Couloir black (several times) to the right of the Saulire lift, which keeps most skiers away as they stare at the sketchy approach across the narrow ridge. But the piste itself was sufficiently wide and soft to be free of danger of breaking bones (and besides, even if you do, someone from the Saulire telecabine is bound to see you and call for rescue). Not sure if it'll stay soft overnight, but I recommend people trying it out if they're apprehensive. It became quite chopped up in the afternoon though, but unlike most of the black runs aren't full of moguls.

So there's plenty of good skiing up high.
snow conditions
Went for a bit of an easy-angled wander out the back of 1650 today - heavy snow on a wet base... lots of slides have come off on various aspects on steeper terrain (notably off the Roc Merlet on the 'standard' traverse round to go over the shoulder). Also reports of a big slide involving people off the back of Mt Vallon today, but no details on this - Lionel from teh Grand Plan was waiting with his rescue dog for a heli pick-up as we left the hut... Definitely needs care off piste at the moment!

ski holidays
Update on the above - one skier missing presumed dead - seen skiing alone on the West side of Mt Vallon (presumably somewhere around the itinerary route) and set off a major slide. Over 100 pisteurs/moniteurs etc drafted in to probe but search suspended at 1700h. Not good.
As above, take it easy out there!
latest report
http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/serious-avalanche-meribel
latest report
offpisteskiing,
Thats bad craic, I love Mt Vallon. As the man says take it easy out there!!!
snow conditions
Is the West side the face under the gondola or off the face looking towards Val Thorens?
snow conditions
Just hope it all settles down for the inaugural offpisteskiing, Steep Vanoise Touring in a weeks time Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
BobinCH, West side would, I guess, be that accessed throught the "cut" on the skiers left just after leaving the gondola, and heading towards the Glacier de Bourne, eventually ending at the Lac de la Chambre piste

There doesn't seem to be too much information on this slide at the moment, but I'll ask Jeff, my neighbour, who works the Cote Brune lift
latest report
BobinCH, its as Patch, says - W side is through the gap between the 2 snowy peaks, just as you leave the top station. No vis when I was up today & didn't see anyone to get any more info, but as we came down Ours a skidoo went down empty and came up with an avvy dog so obviously there is still some activity ongoing.

Super wet & heavy off piste today, some softer stuff up high in VT though, but no vis when we were there... Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy