Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt in October? Other options.

Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering 4 or 5 days in Zermatt in mid-late October (the itch has arrived early). I've never been skiing outside of North America.

1. Will the conditions be worth it?

2. Any other spots where I can get some good skiing conditions in October?

Thanks,

-MM
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MikeyMaine, welcome to snowheads snowHead

I actually have no idea what conditions would be like in Zermatt in Oct...it wouldn't be on my list of places to try, but that might be a mistake (someone who knows for sure will be along shortly).

Places I'd be thinking about at that time of year would be Tignes, Hintertux (near Mayrhofen in Austria) and possibly Stubai (tho I don't know for sure it's open).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Euro glaciers are tiny in the Fall.

Wait 6 weeks and go to Tignes, France.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saas Fee is anoth option, although as mentionrd above the glaciers are only a few runs and are pretty packed with racers. October is especially busy,, November tens to be a lot better
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bargain way to ski during autumn on the Tignes glacier with inclusive transfers, catered accommodation, lift pass and use brand new 2011 skis and snowboards - www.skiandboardcamp.com Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Zermatt tends to be quite dry in autumn. As already mentioned, Hintertux (not that far from Innsbruck) would be an alternative which - depending on early snowfalls - usually has some attractive glacier skiing. Nevertheless, glacier skiing in mid-autumn in the Alps is more or less a complete bet. From early powder to skiing on hard ice - everything is possible. Don't forget that glaciers (especially in Austria - don't know about Switzerland / France) are quite crowded in autumn (especially on weekends).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you for all the feedback. I unfortunately only have a window of mid-October to early November to get my fix of the slopes - I looked a bit into the southern hemisphere (NZ, Argentina), but got the impression that early in Europe would be a better option than the end of the season down in the southern hemisphere. I'm just looking for the best place to get some runs in mid-week during my time frame - and would love somewhere that has good sights and the ability to do a lower elevation hike (especially if the snow is not good).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have been twice in Austria glacier..
both was 13-20 Oct. in 2007 and 13-19 Oct. 2009

Usually from mid october the resorts are generally ok...
I dont know for Hintertux (maybe i will go first week of Nov) but in Stubai i didnt find so many people..
Last october was full of powder....everynight snow, and the moring little sun but generally poor conditions...

Oct. 2007 was not so good, but generrally you could do very good skiing-boarding

PS Hello to everyone
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you must go, Hintertux in Nov is your best bet.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Euro glaciers are tiny in the Fall.

Quote:

If you must go, Hintertux in Nov is your best bet.

Bloody hell! Nothing like encouragement for a keen skier! Shocked

Couldn't disagree more with the "tiny quote." 2000 feet of vertical at Hintertux will rival many North American ski resorts in winter!

We've been to Hintertux over a dozen times outside the winter and ski there most years in October or May. We never tire of it. After skiing on 9 glaciers in Austria, Switzerland, France and Germany we find Hintertux to be the most varied and extensive. Stubai is also excellent and is only about an hour and a half drive from Hintertux. So if you do become bored with the miniature (cough) glacier at Hintertux you could always do a twin centre trip.

If you do go I'd recommend the 1 hour trip that you can take at the top of the Gletscherbus lift, where a guide will take you into the glacier. It's an incedible experience to go underground through gigantic crevasses and the ice formations are fantastic. I think it costs about €8.

Go for it. If you are keen to ski in October you will not be disappointed.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Will the conditions be worth it?

Yes.

You will encounter winter skiing conditions. On our October trips we have often had powder. Very Happy Very Happy

As I said earlier, go for it! You know it makes sense!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zermatt galcier is quite flat!! Good to start with, then a long flat cruise....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
turms, welcome to snowheads. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MikeyMaine, if you're limited to Oct-Nov, then go as late as you can for either Tignes, Hintertux or Stubai (I'm sure there are others...but those are the ones I can recommend, and others seem to agree). As long as you're not expecting the world, you shouldn't be too disappointed Smile

And don't forget to report back and tell us what it was like!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanx for the welcome
snow conditions
I also agree that Hintertux would be a good choice for Oct/early November skiing. Stubai and Pitztal can also offer good pre season skiing but Hintertux has more piste kms than the other two even if not all the lifts/pistes are open.

I've skied as early as the beginning of October in Pitztal and had pretty decent conditions. We had powder and fantastic piste conditions later in October but it was busy with race training going on. Lift queues were a hassle at the weekend so went hiking instead.

Weather and conditions can be varied at that time of year but I've only not skied due to high winds closing the glacier lifts rather than lack of snow... However, there are plenty of things to do in and around the Zillertal if the weather is bad. Innsbruck is not that far away and Salzburg is always worth a visit if you have time.

I'm off to Hintertux on 22 October - can't wait!

Have fun Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Juliad/Bermeister - any idea how Hintertux at the end of October compares with Saas Fee in mid Summer in terms of extent normally open?

I have searched through the usual train sites and it would appear Memmingen to Hintertux is really a car rental job unless you want to spend hours at train stations.
latest report
Fifespud, Sorry I can't answer that one. I've never skied the Saas Fee glacier and I haven't skied Hintertux this early before. Maybe Bergmeister can help out?
latest report
The earliest we've skied Saas Fee is October, so unfortunatey I can't comment on summer skiing there.

However, Hintertux offers a much bigger variety and a greater extent of skiing in October than Saas Fee at the same time of year.

So for me, Hintertux wins hands down.
ski holidays
MikeyMaine

A window of opportunity for early November skiing could mean....Scotland Little Angel !! November skiing is not unknown - in fact October skiing has been available in recent years.

However,the Alps is a safer bet wink so if you have 4 or 5 days ski time available, you could do worse than a road trip to the western side of the Austrian Tyrol. There you can mix and match from the following glaciers, all within reasonable striking distance of one another if you plan your itinerary carefully:

Kaunertal
Soelden
Pitztal
Stubai
Hintertux

Snow/conditions will probably not be an issue at that time of year - so probably no need for hiking boots or sightseeing trips.

These all vary in size but all are excellent for at least one day's skiing. Hintertux is probably biggest - though the extent of Stubai for autumn skiing a couple of years ago was a pleasant surprise. Soelden has two glaciers, which are also fairly extensive.

Accommodation will be a doddle at that time of year - you can just turn up and find a B&B or small hotel on spec, moving around as you please.

Go for it - it will definitely be worth it Very Happy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy