Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding Inserts

Poster: A snowHead
What are the thoughts on 2 sets of inserts for different bindings? Too many holes?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
scotia, IIRC the inserts create an area stronger than the ski itself, so as long as there's a bit of clearance between the holes you'll be fine.

I'm not sure what that clearance should be though. Confused
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AltisThanks for the comprehensive feedback. I will definately get my usual ski shop to try these on a pair of expendable skis first
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm afraid to disagree with Mosha Marc there. All holes will disrupt the longitudinal fibres / strength of the ski - and these holes are substantially larger than those created by normal binding screws.

My inclination would be to create one set of holes for the preferred binding and then use a cutting board riser plate for the other. I'm planning on doing this to put a tele binding over my Fritschi holes.

Alternatively, see if Jondrums makes the right swap plates:
http://www.bindingfreedom.com/Plates_c2.htm
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmm looked at swap plates but Dukes aren't on the agenda and I wanted to avoid the extra rise.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, do you have to change brakes when mounting to your op art snowboards?

Yes, two sets of brakes. Wide ones, and stupidly wide ones.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 24-11-10 18:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
altis wrote:
I'm afraid to disagree with Mosha Marc there.

You should be wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scotia, I guess it all depends where the holes fall. [Remembers, from years ago, instructions for dinghy masts about fittings.] I would certainly avoid having 4 holes abreast across the width of the ski but if they're all reasonably spread about with at least 1cm between the outsides of the inserts then my guess is you'd be fine. If you're getting down to 3mm or less between them then I'd reconsider.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What happens if one set of the inserts are left open - do you get moisture leaking in to the ski's core, potentially warping the wood?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Both the QuiverKiller and BindingFreedom inserts are blind - meaning there is metal across the bottom of the hole. However, you need to be careful round the edge of the insert where it has penetrated the top sheet. Hopefully, they were fitted with generous amounts of Araldite so that there is no route for the water to sneak in. It's probably worth inspecting this from time to time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
altis, thanks. So if appropriately sealed with Araldite you could have two sets of inserts (provided they are far enough apart)? So two types of binding (alpine and touring perhaps) or two binding positions (one a bit further forward than the other)?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
altis wrote:
I'm afraid to disagree with Mosha Marc there. All holes will disrupt the longitudinal fibres / strength of the ski - and these holes are substantially larger than those created by normal binding screws.

My inclination would be to create one set of holes for the preferred binding and then use a cutting board riser plate for the other. I'm planning on doing this to put a tele binding over my Fritschi holes.

Alternatively, see if Jondrums makes the right swap plates:
http://www.bindingfreedom.com/Plates_c2.htm

but in the case of these kind of inserts, it would make no more impact than a set of bindings mounted in with screws - your tapping the holes screwing in pretty rigid/strong inserts along with some uhu, so even though the holes might be bigger, there should be no (addtional) impact due to the nature of ther inserts. no?

I'm slowly converting over to tele and was even thinking of using the inserts as hole pluggers from the downhill pattern, bit extravagant really but on the basis that they would plug the holes in a much better way than a wood or epoxy plug

no?

all good fun
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
altis, thanks. So if appropriately sealed with Araldite you could have two sets of inserts (provided they are far enough apart)? So two types of binding (alpine and touring perhaps) or two binding positions (one a bit further forward than the other)?

This is what I see as one of the main advantages

The other, of course, is to be able to use one set of bindings on several pairs of skis (saving $$$$ on Dukes)

I suppose too, that you could set up a ski twice for the same binding, on two different mounting lines - for example, one position for "normal" use, and another set of holes a few cm back for powder days
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, yes:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200631&highlight=swiss+cheese+inserts
(see especially pic at bottom from Dee Hubbs)

barry, but the ski is not completely rigid. IMV, the problem is that you're introducing more material that is essentially rigid into an item that has been designed to flex smoothly. Ski manufacturers would make the whole thing a lot easier if they inlaid a big thick chunk of plastic in the binding area. They don't 'cos it would mess up their carefully laid strips of differing wood. And I don't think the adhesive properties of even Araldite are comparable with the forces around a binding.

All this wouldn't be necessary if the manufacturers came up with a universal, public domain, rail system. If that ever happens I'll eat my helmet!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
altis, just a minute, you're agreeing with me now.
latest report
My Dynaduke plates arrived today, courtesy of the lovely people at Parcelforce who decided to route them through UK Customs .... ggrrrrr.

They feel rock solid and are seriously light. My only concern is how the anodised orange colour will sit against my Preachers (green) and my Wailers (cab yellow!) Shocked Clearly, this is the most important consideration, no?

Will report back on performance post mounting and riding, ooo errr missus.
snow conditions
this weekend i intend to do all i can to undo spyderjon's good work in fitting inserts in various of my skis. i don't expect to succeed but in the interests of science i will give it a good try wink
snow conditions
Arno, I'd be interested to know how you get on.

BTW, I see from their website that Georges Maudit ski shop in Méribel fit inserts. I will go have a chat with them at the weekend to see what experience they have.
ski holidays
Dynaduke update:

Plates mounted on WDF Preachers. Barons mounted onto plates. Boot centre on line? Tick.

Dynafits mounted on plate? No tick. No disaster though, either. Turns out that the range of adjustment on the TLT Speed heelpiece is not great enough to work with the plates, unless you get lucky with a specific BSL. Have lined up with both the Vertical FT and Vertical ST and all looks fine, so I'll just swap the Speeds for the Verticals and off we go.

So the moral of this story is: the plates definitely work, but not with the TLT Speed.
snow report
zammo, good to know and makes me glad i went with inserts and not plates
ski holidays
would it be possible to fit these inserts to a new pair of skiboards 4x10 pattern. the boards i want to buy are summit marauders, but due to a long time dispute with the ski company "spruce" summits owner decided not to fit inserts to these boards, basically stopping people from fitting the spruce riser/releasable binding combo. instead summit offer bindings fitted direct to the boards.
snow report
graeme, yes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy