Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding Inserts

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone used (or fitted*) these? Anyone used them so they can switch bindings on one pair of skis? I'm thinking dynafits and dukes or Marker F12s.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Puderluder-Binding-Inserts/139741112715144?v=info

(this is the guy who did the group buy on TGR last season)

*Spyderjon - I'm looking at you Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ooh that DPS Wailer RP getting heavier by the minute? True one ski quiver?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, more for the W105s really Wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've not used PudderLudder's inserts but I have fitted many skis with similar ones - details here:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195660

Note that the outside of PudderLudder's inserts have American machine threads. It is important to tap the holes with the correct tool before you fit the inserts or you will lose strength.

Personally, I would now go with the Trisert3 range from Tappex here in the UK. These have self tapping threads on the outside and an expanded head to seal against the topsheet:

http://www.tappex.co.uk/Trisert-3_Selector.aspx?range=Reduced-Headed&rangedesignid=15
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Can't see how that will make a difference if the holes are matched/close.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Can't see how that will make a difference if the holes are matched/close.

Have a look at these pull-out test results from Zeno:

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=34239
http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=39781
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
altis, No.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, i used something similar on some VIST riser plates to beef em up a bit and am really happy i went for it, i have pulled out binding screws on a couple pairs of skis and these are rock solid.

Jon did the heli coiling for me... he had some ski specific inserts from SVST ( i think) and the tapping tool so i didnt bother buying myself, i seem to remember another system was coming out that he was looking at so these may be old hat... best to ask jon

http://www.svst.com/Categories3.aspx?Category=f090e5c2-639c-4bfc-a747-0248f5624901

The alpine thread is an odd ball and not metric so i would be careful about using generic machine screw inserts like tappex.. they might work but...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alpine binding screws are bound by ISO 6004:1991. This calls up ISO 1478:1999 which specifies all metric self-tapping screws.

Consequently, all alpine binding screws have an ST5.5x1.8 (ie 5.5mm in diameter and 1.8mm pitch) metric, self-tapping thread.

You can get inserts with this thread on the inside. For example, Snoli make a number of them. However, it is more common to replace the self-tapping screws with machine ones (either M5 or M6) when using a full set of inserts.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
altis, sorry when i said odd thread i should have been specific and said self tapping and not a machine screw thread

not a bad plan if you are going to use inserts to just replace self tappers with machine screws. i tend to shim out my bindings and it is really hard to find long self tap alpine screws.. good tip thanks...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, I've not fitted any of the Puderluder inserts but I have fitted the Snoli version to a couple of pairs of skis for my mate to swap his pivot bindings over. The outside thread on the brass Snoli inserts can be a bit iffy & it's easy to strip them if you're not careful. The Puderluder looks a lot sturdier. altis's Triset fixings look interesting but I couldn't see a blind ended insert in a suitable size on their site so I'll give them a ring tomorrow & see what they've got. I'd be happy to get either the Puderluders or the Trisets in for you & fit them. Have you checked your various bindings for hole location conflicts?

For repairing pull-outs I'd think that the pucka helicoils are best (which I usually epoxy in as it's going in an already busted hole, albeit one that's been drilled out) probably due to the coarser outer thread - but they are designed for conventional self tapping screws to be permanently inserted.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello everyone, I'm Nick and I am making the PuderLuder Binding Inserts.

The origin of these was a need that formed from the TGR collective (Teton Gravity Research forum). If you check out this link or this one , and have lots of time, the entire story can be read.

Basically, people wanted a really nice, clean insert. The major beefs with existing versions where:
1) they were brass (too soft and stripped easy)
2) too big (either too long as to go all the way trough your ski or too far into the base, or too wide- too coarse of a thread/way oversized)
3) not blind (had an open end, could see through them therefore not providing water tightness once installed).
4) too expensive

The final design was a consensus.
- Stainless Steel (obviously)
- ~8mm length is well contained within the thickness of your ski
- The 5/16-18 outter thread seemed like a good choice to make a great connection into the ski with only ~8mm of length
- The M5 inner thread is a good dia to match with most binding holes and gives a lot of threads for that connection as well.
- Blind end so they are water tight.

The installation is really easy and I've done it a bunch of times myself with only a hand drill. True, you should tap the hole first with a 5/16-18 tap, but these are available from McMaster-Carr for about $5 (part number 2521A642). If you are out of the country I'd be happy to re-sell you one of these taps at cost.

While not the only option for inserts, I believe the are by far the BEST, far an away. Spend some time reading all the reviews on those TGR links, people really love them. Plus, they are only $1 each! If you are still skeptical, please shoot me a PM with your address and I'd be happy to mail you a couple to play with.

Best,

Nick
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PuderLuder, welcome the snowHead 's i am sure a few here will be investing....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm not really considered this but might make sense to mount my Dukes up with them so I can swap them to another ski in future - sounds like a SH group purchase to minimise shipping might be in order.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I spoke to Tappex today & they're send me some samples. They do make an ideally sized insert however it's an open design not blind. The blind inserts they do are either too small, too large or not available in stainless.

I've PM'd PuderLuder re a bulk order so Arno/skimottaret et al, let me know if you want some fitting.
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
Hmm not really considered this but might make sense to mount my Dukes up with them so I can swap them to another ski in future - sounds like a SH group purchase to minimise shipping might be in order.

I'll be happy to supply snowHeads with PuderLuder's inserts for their own installation or I'll offer a chargeable installation service. I've started to source various length stainless M5 screws in the differing head styles required. Already got screws sorted for my P18's wink

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 26-09-10 16:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
spyderjon, any views on drilling skis so they will take dynafits and dukes (depending on which match my trousers on the day in question Wink )?
snow conditions
Arno, I can't see a problem getting the correct head profiles on the M5 screws so the only problem would be if the holes conflict with each other. If you've already got both types of binding just put your two skis side by side with the BCL's aligned and have a look. If you haven't got both then tell me your BSL & I'll print a Dynafit template & compare it against my Duke jig.
snow conditions
Bulk order placed with PuderLuder including a couple of spare drills/taps for DIY'ers. Should arrive mid Oct.
latest report
spyderjon, I defo want some, havent worked out for what yet Toofy Grin am thinking about going for a highly customised Head setup with VIST race plate on some Head Titans and binning the head plate. hours of DIY hassle coming... wink
snow report
skimottaret, Cool
ski holidays
When you say 'open' do you mean like a tube and 'closed' they would be more like a bucket so that any water lying in them would be contained and not rotting into the ski?
snow conditions
Is the idea that that you take an existing ski and add these inserts to the existings drilled holes, then refit the bindings? then repeat on a 2nd pair of skis, so you could, for example, move your dukes between skis?
ski holidays
kitenski, that's one possibility. you can take a couple of pairs of skis on a trip but only need to take 1 pair of bindings
snow report
kitenski, i have some vist speedlock plates and 614 binders if your interested, does the same thing but no tools...
snow conditions
skimottaret, thanks but I am just interested in the concept, rather than needing to solve a problem at the moment Smile
latest report
kitenski, ahh... needs and wants... i tend to want to try this new stuff out and create loads of problems that then need solving wink the vist speedplate with interchangeable tele and alpine bindings being a case in point..
latest report
Fifespud wrote:
When you say 'open' do you mean like a tube and 'closed' they would be more like a bucket so that any water lying in them would be contained and not rotting into the ski?

Yes, The Puderluder Binding Inserts are like a "bucket". Therefore if you properly set them with epoxy they provide a very durable and watertight seal to your ski.

Nick
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
Is the idea that that you take an existing ski and add these inserts to the existings drilled holes, then refit the bindings? then repeat on a 2nd pair of skis, so you could, for example, move your dukes between skis?

Yes, that is one of many uses for them. Someone just posted on my Puderluder Binding Insert FaceBook page that he put the inserts into 4 pairs of skis and was then able to fly to Lenas with all 4 pairs with zero hassle since you can pack them so well without bindings attached.

Others will use them to switch between bindings on a single pair of skis, for instance an alpine binding and a tour binding.

Others like them to mount tele bindings since they are stronger then the regular binding screws.

Please check out the FB page , you don't need a FB account to see it, and I think there are enough pictures and reviews (in the notes section) to get a good idea of what these are all about.

Nick
snow report
PuderLuder, Do you need to use loctite to stop the screws from coming lose
snow report
Glen Charman wrote:
PuderLuder, Do you need to use loctite to stop the screws from coming lose

I would say yes. When I've put bindings on knowing that I would only be skiing them for a day I hadn't with no issues. But I also have the experience of the M5 screws loosening up over time if loctite is not used.

Nick
snow conditions
Just to add to Nick's comment above.

We use Loctite 243 (Blue) Anti-vibration thread glue on all our race ski binding set ups to ensure the screws do not come loose, we then add a small amount of luminous orange torque seal on the head of the screw as a visual aid to check that the screw has not come loose during racing/training.
Just a couple of points on application – make sure the screw is completely grease free before applying the Loctite (use brake cleaner to clean) and only a small amount.
243 (Blue) is better than 222 (Pink) for strength and vibration purposes. Also if you do carry out a bolt check on your bindings, be careful not to over tighten the screw and turn it as this will break the Loctite and take away the fastening properties.
In our workshop we use a dial gauge torque tool so that we know the bolts have been set to a pre-determined torque (i.e. 4 n/m) and can re-check to that exact torque without over torquing and breaking the glue seal – (very important).
Apologies if it’s a bit ‘race teccy’ but some useful points on the application side..

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 22-08-10 0:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
spyderjon, let me know when they arrive. Will be definitely doing this with my skis going forward, if only to save on ski carriage weight!
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob, will do
snow report
spyderjon, Def interested here even just for stripping off bindings for traveling. Have you worked our what the cost is likely to be if we get you work your magic?

(ps any discount for 7 pairs of skis at once Toofy Grin Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
kevindonkleywood wrote:
spyderjon, Def interested here even just for stripping off bindings for traveling. Have you worked our what the cost is likely to be if we get you work your magic? (ps any discount for 7 pairs of skis at once Toofy Grin Toofy Grin )

Dunno yet. At $1.50/£1.00 plus customs & VAT the inserts are going to be about £1 each. Good quality M5 SS machine screws with CSK/pan heads that take a pozi3 driver are about 45/50p each. The problem will be sourcing the semi CSK/domed heads often used for the front two screws on alpine toe pieces, especially in a Pozi3 but I'm enquiring about having a batch made. Then it's just a labour cost which would depend on whether it's a new mount with/without a jig or drilling out the existing binding holes, plus the amount of screw trimming etc - so I'd need to know what your specific requirements are before a I could quote an accurate price but a standard binding mount is £25 so it's not going to be far from that. I'm sure we can do a deal on seven sets wink
ski holidays
If you're looking to have these fitted to two or more pairs of skis and just carry one set of bindings how can you manage the ski brake width across skis of different dimensions?
ski holidays
Yeah, obviusly the brakes will have to fit both skis- or I suppose you could carry two sets of brakes. My quiver is a 105 and 122 waisted ski and I get away with switching out my FR+'s with XL brakes no problem.

Nick
latest report
rob@rar, yep, if you own a wide range of widths you might need additional brakes but they're still a lot less weight/cost than a full set of bindings. My skis are 99mm & 112mm underfoot & the same brakes are great on both & would be fine right down to a 90mm ski. I think it would be rare to need more than two brake widths.
snow report
spyderjon, put me down for a couple of sets please. Have a set of dukes that I want to share between a few sets of skis. The fact that you can then travel with one decent set of binders and multiple planks easily is tops.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy