Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which sella ronda/dolomite resort for a virtual beginner and a confident skier

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of going to go to Arabba again late january for a week. The hope is that my partner, a virtual beginner, could then come out the following week to one of the other resorts in the region more suited to a learner skier where I could join her for a second week ( the sacrifices!) . Can anyone suggest which of the resorts might be suitable for both of us, & any recommendation for modestly priced accommodation or good t/o's for the resort would also be welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If I was taking a virtual biginner to the Sella/Ronda area i would go to Colfosco. It has a huge nursery slope with a nice blue run into the village which starts up the mountain at about 2000m. There are a couple of red runs and a very easy black run just above the village if you want to be around.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with Riverman, but you could go to Covara, swift access to the Colfosco slopes and can strongly recommend Colletts catered chalets in Covara.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
riverman, Ian Kenvyn, thanks both, will look into both colfosco & corvara more deeply now - have either of you been there di y ? if so which is the best airport to fly into ( venice ? innsbruck ?) & what are the transfers like ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nickH, As Ian Kenvyn, said Colletts run catered chalets into Corvara, they provide transfers from Venice , Treviso and Insbruck. You arrange your flights. There other people who post on here with good knowledge of transfers from Venice. I have been with Colletts 4 or 5 times and would back up the recmmendation given by Ian Kenvyn,
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nickH, We were at Chalet Verena with Colletts this season (Corvara). Highly recommended and very easy access to Colfosco by chair lift. Colletts transfer from Venice is abut 3 hours
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx, Hi . thanks for that, have just had a quick look at the colletts site - v. interesting, though as yet EJ aren't showing bristol - venice flights for feb, though I could get an innsbruck on a sunday - perhaps I'll ask if they do transfers from there as well.

see you got your apartment - congratulations
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nickH wrote:
see you got your apartment - congratulations

bit premature - still with the lawyer - should have completed last week Evil or Very Mad so will have to go out again.

Colletts book up early so be ready!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nickH, Idont think there are any Bristol-Venice flights this year, there were none last year. Collets do Sunday transfers from Insbruck.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
nickH, Innsbruck is probably closer than Venice.

You might also consider the Kronplatz area - unusually, most of the beginner slopes are at the top of the mountain there, so gives much more "mountain experience" for a beginner. There is no dierct link into the Sella Ronda from there, although there are ski buses which connect from the far end of the ski area up to the Alta Badia area if you are desparate to get back into the Sella Ronda.

Transfers from Innsbruck should be quite easy for there (it is the airport used by Neilsen for their packages to Kronplatz).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, thanks for the advice about the early booking. hope the completion goes smoothly

riverman, thats good news as Innsbruck is v. convenient for me - thanks for that, saves me asking them the question.

alex_heney, will look into Kronplatz also. I was primarily considering the sella ronda as I'll probably be in arabba the first week & am looking for a suitable resort that I could fairly easily get to from there for the week my partner comes over - any on the ronda circuit I could probably get to skiing there with my backpack if I had to. Experience has shown that getting around by public transport can take forever. Last year I had a week in arabba followed by a week in Maria Alm with my partner. Though no great distance as the crow flies the quickest way was to leave Arabba first thing in the morning with a transfer coach to venice, then an OBB coach to the austrian border, then train and finally taxi, arriving at Maria Alm about 7.oopm ! I'm hoping to avoid the same palaver this year
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nickH, There is a local bus service from Arabba to Corvara takes about 20 /30 mins
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
nickH, also the Colletts venice transfer goes to arabba then onto corvara - you might be able to hook up with that if you book with them
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
riverman, thats great news - makes corvara the front runner so far, time for some more research...

cheers
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx, that might work well, now to see if I can sell the whole idea to the OH...
snow report
www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn

Fantastic resort with chalet on the piste - long crusy blue and alternative challenging red run back to the chalet. Easy access to Corvara, Arraba, Hidden Valley, etc. fantastic ski schools ...
snow conditions
nickH, Linds and eeyore went to Joanne Mountainsun's place last season and loved it.
snow conditions
San Cassiano has one wonderfull blue slope, from the top of the gondola to the botoom...
however there are not so many red-black slopes around, and generally Alta Badia has MANY flat points....good for novice, but very bad for snowboarders....
ski holidays
Joanne Mountainsun& holidayloverxx, , yup, am tempted, but how close is the ski school & how easy is the blue for a virtual beginner ( well can snowplough ok but is cautious ) first thing in the morning ?

turms, hoping for a mix of slopes, though a choice of easy ones is priority for the OH as I'll hopefully have had a week before on the more challenging stuff around Arabba. Not worried about the flat - both skiers !!
latest report
well...there are not only blue slopes of course.
Also from Alta Badia its possible to go to Arraba via skiing....if you are good, its piece of cake
ski holidays
nickH, The ski school is next door to the chalet and the meeting point is at the top of the gondola outside the chalet. The blue is very long and perfect for beginner snowploughers - it has a fairly steep drop in at the top which can be avoided by approaching from the nursery slope via the sledge run. Anyone not confident enough for the long blue home can use the nursery slope and take the gondola home.

turms, Fantastic for snowboarders these days with a brilliant park on the left hand side of red 23. Really not many flats at all, except for blue 7, which can be avoided. In Alta Badia itself there are several challenging red and blacks including the Gran Risa into La Villa (world cup run) and Valon at the top of Corvara which leads on to the very long la villa red making it an extremely long seep run. The red down to the chalet is also pretty challenging. Plus Arraba is very easily accessed from San Cass via Prolongia II then Curtz - or via Corvara, with some very enjoyable skiing (including fab off piste on a powder day) on the way. An advance skier can be in Arabba in less than 30 mins ... the Dolomiti Superski area is almost limitless for the more advanced, even if Alta Badia itself doesn't enjoy masses of black runs.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
nickH, Linds and eeyore went to Joanne Mountainsun's place last season and loved it.

So much that we (and a bunch of others Laughing ) are going again!

Nick Distance from chalet to gondola

Stuning scenery

Hidden Valley

Refreshments Laughing

We loved it and there is a very mixed group going next time the very nervous to more advanced. If you have any questions send me a message.
snow report
Kronplatz is also very good for beginners. I remember we went there because the piste maps seemed more beginner friendly than the other dolomite resorts.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy