Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine - Feb 2011

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

My wife and I are thinking of going to flaine for a week next Feruary. It will be my wifes 1st ski trip and I have not been skiing for a few years. We would prefer to stay in the forum / foret area rather than the new areas further up.

Does anyone have any advice on places to stay? We would consider either self catering or hotel. Wherever we stay we would prefer a decent standard of finish and a dedicated double bed room. I did the small basic studio when I was younger and would now like a bit more comfort.

I have been to flaine a couple of times (late 80's) and quite liked the the design of the original areas - realise I am probably one of the few! I have seen that there is a new appartment block being built for the next season but would be slightly worried about booking something before it is built! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Lee
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
LDM, Hi, is Flaine an ideal area considering its your wifes first trip and you want to get back in to the swing of things. All that area will not be needed and if I was you I'd def consider prettier areas in perhaps a samaller less busy resort. Once she is hooked, go back there when you'll both make use of the miles. The link over to the rest of the grand massif is megga busy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
LDM, welcome to snowHeads!

We have stayed here a few times. Spacious well placed apartments close to the Grand Vans Express.

http://www.ernalow.co.uk/france/grand-massif/flaine/residence-la-foret

I love the skiing in Flaine, but would probably avoid February if I could Confused
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
First week of February would be OK - later would be very crowded (French holidays, best put French resorts out of your mind till mid March). The Flaine bowl gets particularly busy because the uplift is good compared to the space on pistes going down - so pistes can be a bit crowded, even for experienced skiers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LDM, these were well underway when we were there in mid April. You really couldn't be more handy for the slopes, it's nearly ski-in as there's a new blue piste behind it that tracks down from the Tourmaline, called Aigue (?sp) Marine and it's only a few metres from the main Foret area.
If you were going mid-season, then hopefully any teething problems would have been sorted out for you Toofy Grin

http://www.igluski.com/flaine/residence-les-terrasses-de-veret_p30789
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm buying one of these apartments and they will be handed over from the builder at the end of this month - they are currently finishing painting the outside and fitting the last of the kitchens. First week in February will be quiet and Flaine has great skiing for a beginner!

Check out:

http://www.terrasses-veret.com/

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
LDM, we learnt to ski in Flaine. It is so convenient for the nursery slopes, I think it is a great place to learn. We went back there for our second week. There were good beginners packages available, and we made it up to the top and down the Serpentine on our last day. It is damn ugly though, unless you are up the mountain, and it blends into the surrounding rocks.
French holidays begin in 2011 around the 12th February,
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jgr1, how exciting Very Happy Let us know how you get on. I nearly went into the building (long story about a local bloodhound who went missing after dark and my youngest was concerned for his safety) - I didn't thankfully as said dog was fine as it turned out, and I most certainly didn't have a hard hat with me. Although I could have gone and got my helmet I suppose Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LDM, we went to Flaine last Jan for our kids first ski trip. Had a great time and was perfect for them getting their ski legs. Stayed in the P & V apartments (Residence la Foret) which were very well equipped, spacious and comfortable. They are very close to the slopes and ski school meeting place and opposite the lift down to Forum. Used the international ski school (ESI), they had small groups and the children really enjoyed the classes.

Definately recommend Flaine for beginners and the P and V apartments. Booked again for next Jan.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lou, i'd be surprised if they'd notice if you didn't have a hard hat. No-one did when we were wandering round our building site.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
try the flaine montsoleil appartments, big appartments pool and spa facilities
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many thanks for the replies.

We were thinkig of the 5th which should be before the french holidays. Also from previous exp. the snow seems to be pretty good in fance at this time. The Residence la Foret and Terrasses - veret were two of the option i'd spotted. The new one (terrasses-veret) looked interesting as it has a spa and pool which my wife would appreciate.

montsoleil looks great and I wouldn't mind giving it a try at some point in the future.

I realise that the original buildings have been described as ugly but to be honest I liked them (or at leat did previously). I am a bit of a "modern" Architecture fan. I have never been too worried about pretty vilages in the past as the main pupose of the trip is the skiing.

Regards
Lee
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone know if the MGM development has stated or has it been shelved?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kevindonkleywood, is that the development up behind the Hameau?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
or is it the one replacing the Swimming pool?
latest report
Hells Bells, probably! http://www.mgm-constructeur.com/property-development~~flaine~le-centaure.html
snow report
MGM La Centaure has been started. The pool has been demolished and the foundations and ground floor pool are finished. Its due for completion in 11/12. You can see the progress on the station view of the webcam:

http://www.webcam-ski.com/webcams/interfaces/telebenne/interface.php?pk_interface=44&m=images&r=panoramique

Le Refuge du Golf behind the Hameau will be open this winter.
snow report
Once again thanks for the replies and friendly welcome!

jgr1 the appartments look like they should be a good addition to the resort as Forum / Foret seemed to be a bit lacking on the more comfortable / spa /pool front, what size is it? I assume you have done a fair bit of skiing in flaine?

I think its a pity that none of the original hotels have been revitalised/updated into more luxurious accomodation they could be quite a cool place to stay. From what I have seen the Terrasses - veret have been designed to follow a similar "modern" design although it seems to be a bit softer.

I will decide where to stay over the next week or two and make a booking I guess I will probably have a lot more questions for the forum then!

Cheers
Lee
snow conditions
Just back from Flaine after spending some of the summer hols there in my apartment, the MGM is under construction although locals reckon it will be 3 years before its ready, the TV is having a few windows finished and the internals done looks OK right next to the GranVan, they have also turned the off-piste bit below & to the right of the nursery drag lift into a piste so no more queues to get up the little button to get down to the DMC etc.

They have also been doing a lot of work to various pistes areas so as always the Grand Massif should be awesome again next season.

As for Montsoleil I have a place there & it is fantastic & really well spec'd LDM the time your going will be quite & the ski bus is every 10 mins & takes 2 mins or so from pick up to drop off if your other half cant use the ski in or ski out and as you will going before the feb busy season it will have no impact on your holiday.

What ever happens you will enjoy Flaine 4 months to go before the season starts Toofy Grin
snow report
Hello,

I'm also trying to organise a trip to the Grand Massif in Jan 2011, looking for a catered chalet for around 8 people or more. Found one yesterday called chalet-hameau-de-flaine by Igluski for £460 and all but one date sold out overnight! Any advice would also be greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
Hi Tumble, I am not that clued up on Catered Chalets in Flaine, there will be a few in Les Carroz, Samoens & Morrillon all these resorts are in the Grand Massif but lower down, as for Flaine the Hameau will no doubt have a few but they are all quite small for a large Catered job, they are also quite high up & not that close to the resort OK for skiing into but not great for skiing back to after Montsoleil apartments although the Ski bus is good for Hameau drop off.

You could PM Marcellus he lives in Les Carroz at times & may be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck Little Angel
latest report
I must first declare an interest: I am an owner in Montsoleil. Although about a 10 minute walk from the centre of Foret, there is a courtesy mini bus service that runs all evening until about 11pm. This will take you either up to the Hameau or into Foret or Forum. This makes all the local bars and restaurants accessible. You just have to phone and it will collect you at the end of the evening. I am also optimistic that there will be a bar/cafe in the resort by next winter. The lack of a meeting/social place has been a cause for adverse criticism in the last 2 years but Pierres & Vacances (the operator in succession to Intrawest) look as though they have agreed to make this happen in conjunction with the Resort Club.

I too was out in Flaine earlier this month and the new piste that will bypass the button lift/tow rope at the bottom of Grands Vans is good news, although I'd guess it will be a red run as it is quite steep.

LDM, if you want more info on Montsoleil and on the availability of apartments to rent privately PM me
ski holidays
MGM seem to be building like mad, in a lot of locations - there's a big new "co-pro classique" going up near ours. In the three weeks we were out in France it made great progress, though it's not going to be finished till Christmas 2011. Word on the street is that 60% of the units are already sold, with Italians being the biggest buyers. http://www.mgm-constructeur.com/programme-immobilier~~les-saisies~la-perle-des-alpes.htm
latest report
Chris Mason, that new piste is going to be helpful. Where exactly will it come out? I hadn't appreciated that there was some off piste there. We normally make a beeline for the GV first thing to avoid that bit or else I make myself walk up the hill on skis while the others take the rope tow (my shoulder loathes rope tows). It's a good warm up if nothing else snowHead
Sadly won't be there this coming season to check it out.
snow conditions
LDM, I know you might want something a bit plusher, but if it is your wife's first ski trip, why not try UCPA. Their Les Lindars centre on the Forum snowfront used to be the Club Med so it has lots of en suite twin/double rooms which is unusual for UCPA. You will have the advantage of half time beginners group ski lessons for your wife and half time tuition or guiding for you which you can arrange to have at the same time. Your lift pass and equipment - and three meals a day if you want them - are also included in the price. The centre will be full of scandinavian, french and british clients - all 18-40 - and the bar area is very social with a masive round fireplace in the middle (original bauhaus and listed apparantly). I had a great trip there in February a couple of years ago - it is a very snow sure resort.

And to declare my interest - my friend run Action-Outdoors who sell UCPA holidays in the UK. PM me if you want a small discount code.
ski holidays
LDM, I've been going to Flaine for 10 years (not this year though) so know it pretty well. Residence La Foret is OK - stayed there once although in a studio. It's close to the Foret area which we prefer as you've more immediate lift options e.g. Grand Vans link (though your wife won't use it unless she's a fast learner) and, importantly for her, the beginner's area is right there (walkable from Res La Foret) and the petit Balacha drag is close which she'd progress to first (green run). Plus, if you want something for yourself, the Balacha drags run parallel to P. Ballacha and take you higher up to a chair leading to a superb blue run area (LH side of bowl looking up) and you're soon back down to Foret. It can get busy but early Feb should be OK. There's a lack of mountain cafes but they're damned expensive anyway and if you're SC you can walk back to the appt. for lunch (we do). Spar shop up in Foret few mins walk from Res La Foret. Yes, the architecture is grim but Flaine is snow-sure, traffic-free, quiet in the evening and has large but compact ski area. Regards.
latest report
billb, Residence la Foret has its own little shop and cafe now. It wasn't anymore expensive than the Spar which is silly prices imo. You can pre-order a roast chicken and/or chips which was an easy option one evening for us.
snow report
sarep, we stayed at Les Lindars on our first two ski trips, once as Hotel Les Lindars, and the second time as Club Med. It was a great option for families, with childcare, full board, good food and inclusive wine. I love that fireplace.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all - we've done a "sensible" lads weekend ski trip to Flaine for the last couple of years in January. We enjoy being such a short transfer from the airport (important for a weekend), lack of opportunities to get too silly in the evenings, extent of the ski area etc.

This year we are booked for the 13th - 17th January (Thursday to Monday), and surprisingly our normal accommodation, the PV Flaine Foret Apartments are either fully booked and / or not taking weekend bookings (checked both online and over the phone). Does anyone have any suggestions for accommodation to suit a group of approx 6 - 8 30 & 40 somethings in and around the Flaine area.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
reded78, have you tried booking the PV Residence through another operator? You could try Erna Low (and they will usually price match P&V).
latest report
Well you have all given me lots to think about!
So many choices all of which have there own appeal.
The good thing is I am happy with the choice of resort and it sounds like there has been lots of positive things going on in Flaine recently. My wife has put the date in the diary so we just need to make the choice of where to stay. I shall be booking it this weekend all being well.

Anyone else planning to be therethe week of the 5th of Feb?
snow report
LDM, Terrasses de Veret will have 90 apartments, all South facing. The pool is a reasonable size (16m x 6m) and the spa is outside on the terrace. I've stayed in Flaine pretty much every winter for 10 years and the best place to be based for a beginner would be Flaine Foret.

Residence de la Foret is warm and comfortable (billb, it was refurbished about 5 years ago, there arn't any studios anymore). If you want a balcony then pay extra for south facing, if not then I'd recommend a north facing apartment as you still get a view of the forest and don't get the noise from the apres crowd late at night...

LOU, the new piste foret - forum (a red) will join the existing red piste (azurite) at the corner before the schuzz to the DMC, it is called Satan Shocked The rope tow has been removed as will the small drag, both will be replaced by a 'magic carpet'
snow conditions
Hi Mutley, Thanks for the info I will get in touch with Marcellus, I've just seen his Grand Massif thread!
All the best
Tumble
snow report
jgr1, Thanks for that, quite a while since I stayed there. Usually use Renand agency who manage various apartments. My wife will be pleased to hear the rope has gone - she hated it and always preferred to use the short drag but that's such a bottleneck. The new link down to Forum sounds good.
snow report
jgr1, aha! Satan sounds interesting, will go well with Lucifer. Though Jade is the one that I have a love/hate relationship with Toofy Grin
snow conditions
We have booked "Les Terrasses de Veret" to be honest there were quite a few places that looked interesting.
I just thought it would be nice to have access to the pool / spa and I quite liked the idea of being in Foret.

Once again thanks for all the advice.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy