Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need to do something different - but a bit fussy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok so I've done about 10 trips now but seem to be getting stuck in a rut of French resorts and mostly P&V self catering. Puzzled

Have been to Austria (Kitzbuhel) and loved it but there was no snow in the village in early March. Whilst there was snow for skiing that's only 50% of the holiday for us, the other half is the joy/romance of being on a snowy holiday.

Want to go to Austria or Italy or maybe Switzerland (but don't want to go crazy on price; no >£600 each on flights/accom/trans).

We'll have an 18 monther so need accomodation to suit. Just me, my wife and baby and don't want to share a chalet.

So, looking for a reasonably snowsure (in early January) resort in those countries, and a guesthouse/hotel/apt with rooms suitable to house us and a toddler. Oh and preferably not "car free". Went to Avoriaz last year and loved it, but pushing a buggy in snow was a pain. Short transfer would also be preferable.

See told you we were fussy... Embarassed

Thanks,

Ian
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ishay, Ian, at this stage of the game, as regards booking, I'd probably be looking at a last minute TO deal, come January. Although you won't have the comfort of "having one in the bag", it'll not only give you the best bang for your buck, but get you to somewhere that actually has snow.

In the meantime do your homework, put together a list of probable destinations, say a dozen or so, so when January comes around, you know the crack.

I'm sure people will be along presently with suggestions, and that together with doing a search on here will throw up some alternatives.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ishay, well wherever you go, if you're lucky enough to have lots of snow at village level, you're likely to have to push a buggy in the snow, whether or not the place is car-free. But maybe this year your little one will be able to walk a bit herself? Or, more fun, hire one of those little toddler sledge things and pull her (or him) around on that. Romance of the snow, and all that. One very pretty village in Austria is Alpbach - but you might not get great snow in the village itself because (like most really authentic, proper, pretty, villages) it was built down in the valley so people could get away from the snow. And you need to get on a bus for anything other than the short village nursery slope. But very pretty indeed, with cows in the middle of the village etc (when we stayed there, our chalet boy got the milk from the cowsheds every morning!).

Or there are lots of others - you'll get lots of suggestions - though some of the higher, more snowsure, Austrian villages are not necessarily that pretty.

Our village in France - Les Saisies - is not a real village, it's too high for that (1650m) but it is quite pretty, will definitely have snow and there are any number of apartments. Not car free, and parking is easy - you can park right by the slopes. Most accommodation is in apartments. The main hotel is rather expensive, but does have a pool and there are other options, such as serviced apartments.

Do you take it in turns to look after the baby, or do you need child care?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What sort of skiing do you want?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
clarky999, I ski and board, but I'm a weaker skier and plan to practice more of that and my wife has 4 weeks under her but is still very nervous. So really just easy intermediate. We may not get as much time to ski as normal with the toddler so a massive ski area is not really needed.

pam w, Don't get me wrong, by 'romance' I don't actually mean it needs to be particularly pretty. I've done Val D, Val T and Avoriaz in the last 3 years and few would describe them as pretty, but they are snowy which is all I require. I'm just a kid at heart!

BCjohnny, I can never wait till the last minute, I've tried, but 3 months is about as last minute as I can stand before something has to be done...

I fancy Madonna Di Campiligio (sp?) but I don't think any of the hotels look suitable for a room for 3. Anybody got any reccomendations for housing 2 adults and an infant beyond self catered apartments? I think a hotel with a good bar/rest would be good because after baby is in bed we won't be able to go far, but hotel rooms always seem to be made for just two.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 15-08-10 9:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ishay wrote:

I fancy Madonna Di Campiligio (sp?) but I don't think any of the hotels look suitable for a room for 3. Anybody got any reccomendations for housing 2 adults and an infant beyond self catered apartments? I think a hotel with a good bar/rest would be good because after baby is in bed we won't be able to go far, but hotel rooms always seem to be made for just two.

If you look through the TO brochures, you will find a heck of a lot of hotels where many of the rooms can take a third person - they often have a price for a third adult sharing, so a small kid would be easy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maybe Kuhtai? High, so likely to be snowy, small and compact so easy to walk round even with a child and very close to Innsbruck, about 30 to 40 mins. Looks like they have some fairly good offers.

Lots of guesthouses or garnihotels in Austria will have a sofa in the room that can be made up into a bed.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ishay wrote:

If you don't need/want to stay in the centre of Madonna (and now a days, if you don't speak Russian, this may be the best idea) then our resort is on the same lift pass as MdC (extention about 50euros per week)
Send me a PM with details of dates, departure airports, etc. plus hotel type (2*,3*,4* we have all)
As for rooms being made for 2, that's just how it is in ski resorts. No-ones fault, it just is.
This said we have some very large rooms that are normally used as quads - note we "never" charge for under-occupancy for quad/triple changes, so if you took a quad as a triple, with the 3rd being a cot then I think it would work out ok.

Note, we charge for kids under 3. Approx £37 per week (as this is what the airlines charge us). Baby sitting is available so you could ski all day if you want but it gets a bit costly at 10 Euros per hour. Free cresh is only available to kids over 3, so it would need to be baby sitting for which they charge as it's 1:1.

Transfer time (outside Half Term is about 1hr:15 up to 1hr:45 depending on traffic from Verona.
Pushing a buggy in the snow, not sure about that one ??. If it snows then you'll need to.

Oh, our resort is not that high, top station about 2,000m - if fact my house is the same height as the top of Ben Nevis (1,344m) - can't say what the weather will be like next year, but can only say that in the 7 years I've been here, I have never once not been able to ski back to the town.

Hotels are approx 100m from the the slopes - pushing a buggy thats about 3mins (wink depending on snow)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne, Thanks that's loads of help. I have been thinking about the various bits of Trentino (the endless Bode Miller ads on Eurosport last year obviously did their job) but hadn't gotten round to researching it at all.

By the way when I say I don't want to push a buggy in snow I really mean soft, deep, unbashed/cleared snow. Val D and Val T obviously get their fair share of snow in the town, but it's quickly cleared and trodden down. Avoriaz on the other hand is deliberately left as a lays, which made pushing a buggy not difficult, but impossible.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy