Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is everyone paying for their 2011 trips ? ( outside school hols in Jan/Feb)

Poster: A snowHead
Wayne, I'm going to apply next year just for the night out Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
scotia,
I interviewed all of the 16 guys I have working for me in Fort William. Hmmmmmmm.
That was a fun time - 17 tuned up and 17 got a job - gave em all a job (coz alex salmond told me I had to), sacked one 2 weeks late as he was cr@p, but the rest have been there since then (1994) so we have never done another interview in scotland.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wayne, that says a lot for your company Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wayne, brilliant! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
to stop the thread drift, have started a new one in The Piste
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle wrote:
paulio,
Quote:

Ultra-low for the win

Puzzled
It depends on how you compute these things, which is what makes this sort of thread a bit pointless anyway. Not very logically, I throw everything in to my total holiday cost, including all food, all the cash I've spent (irrespective of what I've spent it on) in resort, car parking in the UK and so on, nor do I make allowance for what I would anyway have spent had I stayed at home. I've always been in mid-range on this basis, but then I am not interested in the oneupmanship of being seen to spend the least, or the most, possible.

I'm the same, although I do try and do it cheaply, not for the sake of oneupmanship, but because we aren't rich (though reasonably comfortable), and skiing is a selfish pleasure for me since my wife has no interest whatsoever in it.

But my total cost, including car parking, insurance, diesel to reach the airport, whatever I spend out three has always come in between £600 and £800, which puts me firmly in the "low end" category traveling as a solo, usually in January.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Wayne, I sympathize. On your ad, you should say that anyone cutting and pasting anything off natives, or mis-spelling the name of the resort, gets chucked straight in the bin. Reading application forms, it's always so obvious when people have standard blurbs they put on every application, and have given no thought at all to the application in hand.

Kids today. rolling eyes My daughter is a teacher - gave a geography assignment last year sometime, specifically telling all the kids that anything cut and pasted off the internet would be an instant fail. some of the so-called brightest kids in the class still did it. Beautifully "presented" (ie clever computer skills and nice equipment at home) but duly failed. One little lass who had tried very hard and dun it in her own pawly speld wurds, and put sum thort into it, got a good mark.

It depends on whether you are marking based on creativity or efficiency.

The ones who cut-and-pasted good-practice examples from Natives show efficiency. No point in reinventing the wheel. Efficient workers are key to profits.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just booked a catered chalet (chalet monique) in Les Arcs 2000 for 13 people for 1 week. Costs are £520pp which includes flights from Dublin/transfer/accommodation/catered inc wine with dinner. We also have use of pool and sauna.

Lift pass will be approx £200 and skis £80-100.

Weall try to stick to a budget of £700-£800 every year. This year is working out a bit more than previous.

Hope you find a good deal on your hol! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
forgot to add - we booked for mid January! rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
n1ckster, was a DIY job, easyjet flights, Chalet found after posting on chaletsdirect.com , transfers are by the chalet owners so were cheaper than other companies
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
well, we're not going until March, but it's outside school holidays and it's £1,800 for 3 of us (2 adults and one infant) staying in courchevel 1850 half board catering and including flights from edinburgh and transfers and child care for the week. only really need lift pass and around £20 per day for lunch.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Heading back for my 12 consecutive year to Val Thorens (Les Trois Vallees, Savoie, France), 7 days from 15/01/2011, and for the 3rd year on the trot I'll be driving it.

Self-Catering at Le Cheval Blanc, 3-valleys liftpass, Channel Crossing, Fuel, Toll Roads, and everything else (bar what we'll spend in the resort) is looking to be £390/person with 6 of us going.

Cheap and cheerful Smile
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Paying £ 568 each for 7 nights half board in 3.5* Hotel in Siusi (Italian Dolomites) departing 29th January. This includes the flights (Easyjet) and transfers (Train one way and taxi back to airport). Final cost will be more once I get the Lift pass and ski hire and lunch time meals and drinks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
€1150 for 2 adults 2 kids staying in Gasthof right on piste in Kappl. 4 x £245 flights Edinburgh to Innsbruck and €320 return private transfer (divided by two, as going with other family). Lift passes will cost around €700. Total cost around £2750 excluding beers and lunches. PLUS my 13 year old going with school at £800.
Around £540 a head excluding lift passes for piste side accomodation (half board and decent food), good flights and private transfer. Just wish easyJet did Edinburgh/Glasgow to Innsbruck as it would bring the cost down considerably Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
£1700 is fine if you get a big spacious fully catered chalet providing good quality food and wine, and you can afford it. If it's for bog standard fayre (and not knowing exactly what is covered in the "etc") then I'd say you've been stiffed. Last season, mid-March, we got a decent, if slightly small, chalet in Mottaret. Slope-side, food on the decent side of average and gratis wine throughout the entire evening. Through ski-world, we got a deal that included 3V passes and basic ski hire for 3 for £880 each, only thing on top was own spends on lunch and evenings out. I fully expect to get similar deals this year.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
£1700 is fine if you get a big spacious fully catered chalet providing good quality food and wine, and you can afford it. If it's for bog standard fayre (and not knowing exactly what is covered in the "etc") then I'd say you've been stiffed. Last season, mid-March, we got a decent, if slightly small, chalet in Mottaret. Slope-side, food on the decent side of average and gratis wine throughout the entire evening. Through ski-world, we got a deal that included 3V passes and basic ski hire for 3 for £880 each, only thing on top was own spends on lunch and evenings out. I fully expect to get similar deals this year.

This is what ive been wanting to hear - I'm fed up with the 'its not ski in ski out, wrong end of the village, its not within 100m of a lift, the menu doesnt include this or that - it hasnt got a chef !!!!!!! Basically im fed up with paying through the A@se for other peoples profilgacy/laziness/avarice!!! Id rather go twice and it sounds like for £1700 pp I should be able to do it
ski holidays
marksovereign, I reckon you should be able to do that. The food and wine, in my experience, are all much of a muchness until you get to the £1500+ bracket where you get someone worthy of the title "chef". It does depend a great deal on the particular chalet staff, but you don't have to be cordon bleu trained to learn how to cook 6 x starters/mains/deserts, then repeat on a weekly basis. The client feedback is taken quite seriously and staff who extract the urine are very quickly kicked back into line or kicked out altogether; the threat of losing your accommodation, lift pass and having to fund your own flight home is a powerful incentive to pull ones socks up for the average gap-ya chalet walla.

There is an awful amount of BS talked about a sliding scale of prices depending on how close you are to the lifts and town. Shop around and, importantly, call the TO's and talk to someone about what your requirements are, they are almost always very helpful and very often have places/deals that aren't on the web-sites. For the past 3 seasons going with the same group of 4 we haven't paid more than £900 for the chalet+lift pass and haven't walked more than 3 minutes to the slopes/shops, and this is in Courchevel 1850, Meribel, and Mottaret. Happy hunting mate.
snow conditions
Are you going for the Winter Sports or going on a Gourmet & Wine trip?

How much Food does one need?

Continental Breakfast & either Lunch or Dinner. All three is unnecessary an added expense.
ski holidays
stanton, going slightly off-topic here, but continental breakfast is a false economy seing as you'll be hank marvin by mid morning and snacking like a madman. Big fatboy breckie is what you want, then a late light lunch and decent dinner.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Are you going for the Winter Sports or going on a Gourmet & Wine trip?

How much Food does one need?

Continental Breakfast & either Lunch or Dinner. All three is unnecessary an added expense.

Me and My Missus are there to Ski - the rest of the party im not so sure about and I'm fed up with listening to peoples requirements for Egyptian Cotton bed linen, Cordon Blu cooking - Im thinking we will probably go by ourselves this time!
latest report
Dr John wrote:
stanton, going slightly off-topic here, but continental breakfast is a false economy seing as you'll be hank marvin by mid morning and snacking like a madman. Big fatboy breckie is what you want, then a late light lunch and decent dinner.

Im with you on the full fat boy breakfast - the only trouble is the full fatboy mid morning dump it tends to generate !] lol
snow report
I've never had a full fat boy breakfast in a chalet. "Cooked breakfast" usually consists of one thin sausage OR two thin bits of warm parma ham with a fried egg or a teaspoonful of scrambled egg. Admittedly you usually get offered porridge as well (yuck, I hate the stuff) and you can scoff unlimited cereals but you really need a help yourself hot buffet offered by a decent hotel for a decent attempt to run through til dinner time. (Or self catering I guess but even then purchasing the necessary ingredients can be a bit of a hassle).

As for marksovereign's other problem - my ski buddies always insist on such ablutions being undertaken off site for obvious reasons Toofy Grin
latest report
if you're staying in a hotel which does a buffet breakfast, you can quite easily make up your own packed lunch from the buffet... couple of sausages, some cheese, yoghurt, couple of rolls - voila, on-slope picnic Very Happy

take water or other drink with you in the same backpack that you're carrying the above in and you can save yourself £100 in a week easy Very Happy

if the weather is good, it's great sitting out on the side of a nice slope somewhere munching. If it's poor weather, just use one of the mountain restaurants for a bit of shelter Very Happy
snow report
Dr John wrote:

Nah, only light eating before any sport .

Would you eat a huge pile of food before any other exercise like Football,Swimming,Running & eating a huge pile of food before sleeping is not good either? rolling eyes
snow conditions
"sport" ahahahahahahaaaaaaaa. Much as I admire your obvious dedication to hard-core snowsports, I fear you're out of touch with approximately 80% of the people you're sharing the hill with. It's a holiday, during which some form of physical activity features. Also featuring is eating (hopefully good) food and drinking wine and beer in the evening, resulting in the need for a fried breckie before doing it all again. A boot camp it isn't.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 16-08-10 16:00; edited 2 times in total
latest report
stanton How am I going to take on board 6,000 calories if I can't eat breakfast, can't stop for lunch, can't stay up drinking all night and can't eat before bed Puzzled
snow report
shoogly, they're setting up a picnic room in Monetier mext winter, so no need to even sneak in the picnic in bad weather.
latest report
shoogly, if I suggested to my regular ski buddies or girlfriend that we take a packed lunch I'd get pelted with the remnants of the breakfast materials you suggest be used and be told which restaurant to meet them at when I came to my senses.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 16-08-10 16:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2300 (? - am ignoring finer detail) + lift passes for 2 weeks catered chalet St. Anton - 2 adults, 1 baby, full creche service.
snow conditions
Alexandra, has baby arrived yet?
ski holidays
Dr John wrote:
shoogly, if I suggested to my regular ski buddies or girlfriend that we take a packed lunch I'd get pelted with the remnants of the breakfast materials you suggest be used and be told which restaurant to meet them at when I came to my senses.

We are certainly on the same wavelength - so too are my ski buddies
latest report
7 nights commencing 9 Jan. 2 adults, 2 children, half board chalet in La Tania inc ad lib wine (for adults Very Happy ) £778 each. That includes flights, transfers, lift passes (Courchevel valley, upgrade to 3Vs on arrival), ski hire and kiddy care from ski school pick up to tea time. Just ski school for the nippers and lavish lunches for the grown ups to pay for. And a few beers and toffee vodkas on the hosts night off. wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 16-08-10 18:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Tiger2 wrote:
stanton How am I going to take on board 6,000 calories if I can't eat breakfast, can't stop for lunch, can't stay up drinking all night and can't eat before bed Puzzled

You probably need only about half those calories.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Dr John wrote:

Nah, only light eating before any sport .

Would you eat a huge pile of food before any other exercise like Football,Swimming,Running & eating a huge pile of food before sleeping is not good either? rolling eyes

Other sports (or exercise) which continue all day (or for anything over a couple of hours), YES.

The ones you have listed are generally high impact short duration - and marathon runners etc. WILL usually have a large breakfast, as will cyclists (for instance) doing stage races - and will be taking in more nourishment during the event.
snow conditions
Quote:

The ones who cut-and-pasted good-practice examples from Natives show efficiency.

not if they're planning to work for wayne, they're not. And they're being particularly inefficient if they fail to read the instructions carefully before filling in a form - probably the same types who don't read exam questions carefully and spew everything they know onto a piece of paper.
snow conditions
I went to Sestriere Club Med last January and I liked it so much I am going back. Food is brilliant,plentiful,beautifully presented. Good quality alcohol including cocktails and Peroni on tap. Ski pass & ski school included in the price. Short transfer from Turin included. In flight meal & ski carriage included. All of the staff were efficient and friendly. Rooms were comfortable. Night Club open every night. Met some lovely people. This can be booked for as little as £780. All that is not included is Ski & Boot hire.
When I travel on holiday my greatest pleasure is dining out so I had until last year always booked accommodation on a room only basis. My experiance of Club Med Sestriere convinced me that A.I. on the slopes is absolutely the most relaxing way to enjoy a ski holiday. between three of us we honestly spent less than 100 euro the whole holiday.

I had a hugely relaxing time. I would recommend it whole heartedly. I suppose it helped that the powder (which I was not experienced enough to master) was waist high.
latest report
palumbex wrote:
I went to Sestriere Club Med last January and I liked it so much I am going back.

That's good because we've booked it for next January too! snowHead How was the swimming pool?
snow report
We've never spent more than £130 a day, even for short breaks, all in. Two weeks in Tignes at the end of Jan was £850 at the end of Jan this year.

£1700??? they saw you coming!!
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The ones who cut-and-pasted good-practice examples from Natives show efficiency.

not if they're planning to work for wayne, they're not. And they're being particularly inefficient if they fail to read the instructions carefully before filling in a form - probably the same types who don't read exam questions carefully and spew everything they know onto a piece of paper.

wayne should amend his form to allow for Natives cutandpasters. Having a policy that overpromotes creatives at the expense of efficient people will deliver an unbalanced team.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
wayne should amend his form to allow for Natives cutandpasters. Having a policy that overpromotes creatives at the expense of efficient people will deliver an unbalanced team.

Answered in the other thread so as not to cause too much of a thread drift
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy