Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

wide skis on piste...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

How do you ski on piste? If you're properly carving turns on LP's you'll be going at light speed after 3 turns on anything steeper than a gentle blue.

Indeed. Not skied the LP but the main difference for me with wider skis on piste is the turn radius rather than the width. Not that there aren't wider skis with tight radii, just that they are less common. You really need to enjoy the feeling of working the ski through the turn and be prepared to work the ski hard. Either that or nuts of steel and empty pistes.

SZK, cheers. Strongly considering the Corvus/Navis as a replacement for my non-powder ski.

One of the reasons I like both my sets of wide(r) skis on piste as well as off piste is because the Rosas have a radius of 13.2 (168) and the Line Pandoras a radius of 15.5 (172) so both of those aren't hugely different to my piste skis which were 13.7m (161) I think.

kitenski wrote:
Dr John, VolklAttivaS5, Missions/Rosas aren't considered fat anymore Wink

Maybe not, but my 110 wide Line Pandoras are Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dr John wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, yep, took my ever reliable K2 Recons with me just in case the Missions didn't hack it on piste but they never came out of the bag and I've since sold them.

My Volkl skis were really, really good on piste too, but I do always use my Rosas for everything now as I'm mostly off piste than on. I was thinking this summer I might as well sell those Volkls. They are in really good nick too as they've only seen about 5-6 weeks use on snow and serviced after every week's use.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
VolklAttivaS5, had my heart set on the AC30's, but took a last minute swerve to the Missions. Tested the AC40's for a day and they felt quite were a bit heavy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dr John, Yes, agree they're a bit of a beast for an all mountain ski, only ski in this range i feel works well has been the Nomad Crimson from the Atomic Knackers Yard.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr John, but the Volkl AC40 is narrower all together than the Mission anyway so you were probably better off going for the Mission if you knew you were going to spend a fair bit of time off piste?

My Volkls feel heavier when you pick them up to carry them etc, but they were really good on piste/bumps etc as I said. You can tell they are a solid quality ski that's for sure. They were a bit stiff for me to start with as I'd only been skiing about 3 weeks when I bought them, but I soon 'grew into them'. I've used them a couple of times since and they were awesome. If anyone here knows anyone (Wife? Girlfriend?) who is wanting a good on piste ski then let me know as I have some skis for sale Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
VolklAttivaS5, long story, but I wasn't looking for 50/50's at the time. Missions came into the picture late in the decision process. I got seduced, as one does, but was very glad I was in the end. If I decide to get piste specific skis I'll first look again at the AC30's.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dr John, ah right.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy