Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Compact cameras for skiing, part II

Poster: A snowHead
hmm, looks like Panasonic are doing cashback £20 on the TZ8 and £30 on the TZ10 until 31st August...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
"spray and pray technique"

^ .... errrr - are we still talking about photography ? Shocked
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haggis_Trap, is it possible to work out which of the action pics on your website were taken by the optio-W at all??

ie was this one?

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ha - you managed to pick one of the very few pics that was taken on a friends SLR Very Happy

But 95% of the pics on the site were taken using the optio-W (then resized for the web) Including all of these ones...
http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/photomonth/2009.shtml

If you really needs load of features then get an SLR (but be prepared to lug it around and also spend time annoying your ski partners by setting each shot up properly).
Otherwise I would just get a decent waterproof compact that can be attached to the shoulder strap of your rucksack for 'point and click' opportunities ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Might be worth using the comparison feature at http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp if no-ones already suggested it.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap, cheers, I already have an SLR and have zero intention of skiing with it Smile

.....was the first one (below) taken by tracking and taking one shot, or a succession of shots in rapid fire mode?

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That was just a simple point and click.

I am far from a photography expert.
However on any camera the best way to take ski photos is definitely to frame the photo first, and then wait for skier to enter the shot.
As opposed to tracking the skier - which often ends up blurred and badly composed.

On most decent compact's if you half press the shutter then it will auto-focus - then you just need good timing & a little luck.
On most compacts there will probably be a measurable shutter delay, but you soon get a very good feel for the camera.
If you really want a good rapid-fire mode then 5fps is probably what you want. But for dependable good quality pics I suspect you might then be getting into SLR territory ?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree shutter release delay and optical viewfinder are important. Both difficult to get on compacts these days. If you are flush the Olympus PEN looks an interesting option but I haven't handled one. This table on shutter delays might be a good starting point.
The little Sony I use is no longer made, but is fast and easy to use with gloves.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mountain Haddock, the PEN and the Panasonic version, the GF1, aren't really pocketable, esp if you have something other than a pancake lens on them
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haggis_Trap, Pan de Rideau - La Grave. Wow!

kitenski, have you had a look at Fuji? I'm using a Fujifilm Finepix F200EXR and have been very impressed by the picture quality. Miles better than my old Canon IXUS. The new version looks like it has one hell of a zoom http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/f/finepix_f300exr/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, your choice is even more important that you thought!!

http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/dont-be-ugly-by-accident/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One Lumix TZ10 arrived, unboxed, and tested in the office much to the chagrin of my colleagues. It's a thing of beauty (that camera that is, not the office).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dr John, presumably you know about the Panasonic cashback offer??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, do tell
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dr John, http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Dealers/LUMIX+DMC-TZ8+%26+TZ10+Cashback+Offer/3112818/index.html#anker_3112820
snow conditions
Ahh, got you, cheers. Doesn't look like it applies to Amazon purchases though. But that's OK, because the difference between high street in store price and the amazon price (£240) is about the same as the cash-back.
snow conditions
Dr John, gotta be worth a punt at it though, or ring the helpline and see what they say?

Lumix Cashback Helpline on Tel: 0800 072 7649 (Monday to Friday 9:00 - 17:00) or e-mail: cashback@FOTF.co.uk

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Dealers/LUMIX+DMC-TZ8+%26+TZ10+Cashback+Offer/Lumix+TZ8+%26+TZ10+Cashback+T%26Cs/3112812/index.html#anker_3112814
snow report
at the risk of coming across as a massive pimp for mathers, they are cheaper than amazon and my experience has been that they will include the cashback voucher on a nod and a wink
latest report
I got £30 back from Amazon for the Panasonic video camera I bought from them last month. Came as an electronic Amazon voucher.
snow report
achilles wrote:
richardhbe, 100 IS works fine for me. I like the viewfinder, and the slimness is very handy for dropping into a jacket pocket. Battery life is fantastic. Downside is the low zoom.

Bought one recently for exactly the same reason - really good camera.
ski holidays
Right I need some input, went looking at cameras over the weekend.

As I suspected the G11 isn't a pocketable compact, so that basically knocks my requirement of having a viewfinder on the head.

So now with Haggis_Traps advice in mind I started looking at the tough, weatherproof ones having worked out in 4 years 1 camera got destroyed by my little one's water bottle leaking all over it and the Lumix got broken last week by getting dropped.

It appears Sony do a very nice and slim TX5 with a rather nice sounding 10FPS continuous shooting mode, however it only has a 25-112mm zoom lens, Olympus has a Stylus Tough 6020 which does 5 fps and has a zoom of 28-140mm, whereas if I got another Lumix (the TZ8) that has a zoom of 25-300mm but only 2.3 fps.

So I can't decide wether to go for the bigger zoom or the waterproof/shockproof ones with lesser zoom, and wondered what fellow snowheads thought...

I have my SLR I use for taking shots in the UK where I have a very good zoom lens (mostly used for indoor shots of my girls doing gymnastics....)

cheers,

Greg
snow report
in contrast to you, I have (touch wood) never broken a camera. good quality cameras tend to be well built anyway, so I am not sure I would worry about it too much myself and get the one with the best spec for you. my LX3 and my transceiver had a coming together last season - the camera was unmarked; the transceiver will need it's whole case replaced!

that said, i don't have kids, so all i need to do to look after my stuff is not allow mrs A to touch it Wink
snow report
Arno, yes that was my mistake in letting the missus handle the TZ65 Wink

Trouble is I am now torn between the slim Sony with 10fps and lower zoom and the thicker, heavier TZ8 with lower FPS but bigger zoom......

Sony would really be a pocketable camera, which may mean it gets used more......

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
Dr John, we bought the TZ10 - very chuffed but there are some colour problems (which have also been written about on the net) - are you finding an overly blue-ish / green-ish tint on test photos?
ski holidays
considering most DSLRs don't have the capability to shoot 6 or 7 fps, never mind, 10.... i don't think there's a problem opting for the TZ8.
snow report
boardiac, not that I've noticed yet, but I've only take a few test shots in the garden. I'm very impressed with it's close up/macro capabilities though, crystal clear pickies of flowers with rain drops in them and such like.
latest report
kitenski, does the sony shoot at full quality at 10fps?
snow report
Arno, yup apparently so...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've heard great things about the Sony DSC - TX5, and following the theme is nion indestructable, and has 720 filming
latest report
the TX5 looks pretty cool. the question in my mind for skiing use is that most of the controls look to be through the touch screen so queries as to how usable it is in very bright light or extreme cold Puzzled
ski holidays
Arno just looked at its cold features, i think this or TZ8 will be my christmas present to self as my sony is showing signs of wear and age now.

From review below........... You can drop it from 1.5m, freeze it, and dunk it in up to 3m of water, and it'll keep coming back for more

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/compact-digital-cameras/sony-cyber-shot-dsc-tx5-review-49305883/
snow report
Arno, I agree that is a concern, would love to find a skier or a beach goer who has used one in very bright light....
snow report
I asked on preview re the LCD and fps on the tx5

Quote:
The screen has a "bright" mode that helps a lot in Sunlight. It is just "OK" in direct sunlight, better than my Panasonic, about as good as my Olympus which is about as good as they get for Sunlight visibility. You will still wish for an old fashioned optical viewfinder.
As for burst modes, there are three modes. The fastest is 10 frames/sec. The camera does show an image in between frames, but the effect is more like stop action and is worse in lower light where the exposures are longer. Still better than a complete blackout. The high rate is much more fluid in bright light where it can hit 10 frames/sec.
snow conditions
kitenski, a mate has recetly bought the TX 5 and he loves it. I had a fiddle and the touch screen didn't seem to bad. He reckons he can zoom in and out with ski gloves on but I'm not convinced. The zoom is relatively modest but the picture quality looks really good. And there's a fab feature where you pan across a landscape, it takes multiple shots and knits them together automatically for you with amazing results. And it's really slim so perfect for a chest pocket.
snow report
BobinCH, thanks for that, has he tried the LCD in bright alpine sun at all?
ski holidays
kitenski, I've got a Sony HX5V, fantastic results so far, I was a bit wary of it not having a viewfinder, but the screen is really easy to see. 10fps at full resolution, but it does take about 14 seconds for the camera to load onto the SD card from it's buffer.
Panoramic mode is really cool.
It uses an Exmor chip like DSLRs rather than the normal compact camera one, so even though it's only 10 megapixel, image quality is really good, I view my pictures on a 42" plasma and they're still good.
It's also got GPS built in with a compass that allows you to see where the shot was taken and in which direction, all linked up with Google Earth.
snow report
kitenski, maybe try one of these if you are missing a viewfinder:

http://www.clearviewer.com/
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Trouble is I am now torn between the slim Sony with 10fps and lower zoom and the thicker, heavier TZ8 with lower FPS but bigger zoom

I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has already been said:

Be wary of zoom levels on pocketable cameras, most of them are digital zoom, which is the equivalent of cropping and then enlarging an image in post production - the quality of the end result will be dictated by the quality of the sensor, i.e. a larger sensor with not too many pixels crammed on it will provide a cleaner image.

I don't know the specs of the two cameras in question but if zoom is important to you then go for the one that has the largest optical zoom. If neither has optical zoom then go for the one with the larger sensor and lower megapixel number. You only need 6 megapixels and a good lens to get a quality 8x10 print. It's all about the lens!
snow report
Insurance has paid up, new Sony TX5 ordered, arrived and tested around the Snowdon area, it's AMAZINGLY fast to take a shot, the rapid fire mode is equally blindingly fast, and it seems to take some nice snaps Wink

This was taken to test 'action'...

and I think my 10 year old took this one testing out landscapes Wink

and this was me mucking around with Macro

No editing or touching up on any of these shots!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy