Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trains to Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Having taken the cheaper version of the snow-train (Eurostar to Paris, change to Austerlitz then sleeper to Bourg St Maurice or Moutiers) on a number of occasions, does anybody have any experience of getting to resorts other than those in the Tarentaise Valley on the overnight sleeper trains from Paris?

I appreciate that there may be a bus or taxi required at the other end to actually get to the resort itself (as you do from Moutiers and Bourg), but I'm not sure of where else I could get to overnight. I guess it doesn't have to just be in France if the trains from Paris go further afield, then so be it!

Any thoughts greatly received!

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fleecy, you can get to Briancon for Serre Chevalier, and the ski bus stops outside the station. The train also stops at other stations for Risoul, Vars, etc. My kids travelled out on it a few years ago to join us.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sleeper to St Gervais for Chamonix valley, Megeve(?), St Gervais, other nearby resorts. You would have to change at St Gervais for the train up to Chamonix. Perhaps it also stops at Cluses, which might be a way into Flaine etc? It was fairly busy when I used it in a September - I suspect you would need to be quick off the mark to book it in Winter!

It's easier if you know the resort you want to get to, since their websites generally give travel information - I know that doen't help you with this question!

I presume you are looking for the minimum of changes? Can you get anywhere in Switzerland - I've only trained there in the Summer, but both times we had to change in Basle (I think - it was over 20 years ago)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fleecy, apart from those already mentioned, I think you can also get to Cluses (sp?) for Avoriaz/Morzine area.

I don't know about anywhere else, but I'd have thought Switzerland was worth a look, possibly even St Anton (starting to get a bit far there). In fact, in Visp (Zermatt) last year there was a train passing through which was bound for Rome, and I vaguely remember thinking it had come from France...could be wrong though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fleecy, check out www.seat61.com for very excellent help and advice.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have also taken the Briancon line and used it for Puy St Vincent getting off the train at argentiere les ecrins - no bus service so need to book taxi from station to resort.
You can get to Montgenevre either via Briancon overnight or take daytime TGV to Oulx. We did the latter - there is a resalp bus from either station
La Clusaz/le grand bornand - from Annecy - there is a bus service from the station.
Chamrousse - not far from Grenoble. I think there is a bus
We have been to the following from moutiers or bourg st maurice - valmorel, 3 valleys, les arcs, la plagne, la rosiere

Look at the Snowcarbon website for more ideas.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A pretty useful website: http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/train-options/eurostar-corail-lunea

Also for Austria: http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/train-options/eurostar-city-night-line
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fleecy, Just about anywhere in Switzerland is one answer ... many resorts served by trains ... Zermatt, All of Gstaad Superski, Wengen area, Verbier (nearly) etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
2Alpes/Alpe d'Huez - train to Grenoble, bus to resort.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fleecy, Agenterre got me thinking. Not all Swiss resorts will be that easy to get to (or at least, they'll be easy enough but time consuming). However, you can leave Paris Gare de l'Est at 10h24 and be in Wengen by 16.44 having enjoyed the EXCELLENT DeutscheBahn ICE train on the way. While it may seem a little odd to take a German train from France to Switzerland, that's one of the joys of Railteam http://www.railteam.co.uk/

So probably lots of options.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Trains to Italy are technically possible but quite difficult
http://www.folgarida.co.uk/pages/folgarida_other_self_drive.html
There are a number of links on the page that should help
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I caught a TGV once from Milan to Turin which was on it's way to Paris. So it should be easy enough to get to Turin to change to a local train to get to the resorts around there.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Italian Milky way resorts can all be reached from Oulx which is on the Paris to Milan line.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There used to be more overnight trains, now if you want to go to Switzerland via train you need to get an early start from London, but if you can get to London in time to catch teh 09.30 train you can be in Interlaken by about 20.00 it used to be much better when I was a child with an overnight train from Calais that would arrive in Interlaken for Breakfast, sadly that vanished a long time ago Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We sat and worked out the journey time from central London to Wengen by plane via Basel v's by train and figured there was half an hour in it either way depending on how long a wait there was for baggage in Basel.

Windymiller and I travelled to/fro the MSB this year by train and the journey was as civilised as could be, considering the company Toofy Grin
We chose a direct train from Paris to Berne of which there is just one per day but u can also go via Geneva, Laussane or Basel with fairly similar timings.
ski holidays
Christopher, ooh, haven't seen that site before, thanks for posting. It's *nearly* very useful...if only they listed more of the resorts you can get to by train!
latest report
Colin B, hmmm, 6h40 ish paris-turin and then you're at the mercy of local italian trains - not always excellent. not sure how many italian resorts are interlinked into the rail network? unlike the Swiss ones which will at least have a postbus link. interesting concept though

D G Orf, seems like the Railteam idea has started to improve things again - see my post above. Paris to Interlaken in 6hrs20.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 11-08-10 9:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
under a new name, if you get off the TGV at Oulx, you have quite a bit of choice, with bus connections to Sauze d'oulx, Montgenevre, Briancon, Sestriere, Bardoneccia etc etc.
snow report
Swiss system is fantastic though even to those resorts without direct rail access. In February I went from Zurich airport to Laax. Direct train to Chur, escalator at the end of the platform to bus station where post buses were waiting to go to every resort covered from there. All this for the price of your train ticket. In my case £75 for for swiss visitors pass for return trip for my daughter and me.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, interesting also. (and not an area I know well at all). Seem to be lots of options and presumably much better for the environment than flying?
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
2Alpes/Alpe d'Huez - train to Grenoble, bus to resort.

That works very well by TGV - but fleecy asked about overnight sleeper - does it work for that?
ski holidays
achilles, don't think so; it's only about 3 hours to Grenoble so they probably have trouble spinning out the journey long enough for anyone to get any sleep!

can't be long before there are direct trains from London to Lyon can it? it takes less than 6 hours including a 45 min changeover in Lille, so you'd think a direct train could get it down to about 5
latest report
under a new name, actually five and a half hours from Paris Est to Interlaken Ost, assuming you can get to Paris Est by 14.30 with just a change at Basle
Given that Paris Est is only 10mins walk or 2 mins in a taxi/metro I always consider it the better choice as Gare du Lyon (the other likely departure point) is halfway across Paris (or feels like it) which can be a pain when it's busy.

No overnight options anymore though unless you go down to Milan and then come back via Spiez, the Old Milan route went via Spiez which was great as it meant you could arrive in Wengen in time for Breakfast and didn't need to leave untill after an early dinner a bonus 2 extra days skiing, these days you arrive after dinner and leave after breakfast which isn't as good.

Of course I still long for the days of my youth where you got on the sleeper/couchette at Calais and got off at Interlaken the next morning with no changes en route wink
latest report
D G Orf, Ah I didn't see that faster route. Laughing
snow report
Arno, There's a direct Eurostar to Avignon in the summer which is a little bit further - 6 hours.
ski holidays
D G Orf, thanks for that - may go that way next season. Are there any rail deals like the Swiss pass that take in the non-Swiss section as well?
ski holidays
achilles, Ah a good question, I've found in the past that booking the Eurostar and the international portion of a journey together usually saves some money, what you need to check is the difference between booking through to Interlaken Ost (then paying for your ticket up and back to Wengen) And booking through to Basle/Bern/Geneva and buying a Swiss transfer ticket to cover you the rest of the way
ski holidays
Going to the Jungfrau area, if you use the direct Paris-Bern route, once you're at Bern it's cheaper to just buy a normal return than a Swiss transfer.
From Basle/GVA though it tends to be best to use the transfer ticket.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin, dankeschön.
latest report
achilles, I think "merci veil mal" was the phrase you were looking for Wink
ski holidays
admin, achilles, you are actually both right, but for that matter in Wengen thankyou would probably also work, given that the local language is a mixture of primarily Swiss german with added French and English.
ski holidays
admin, D G Orf, Madeye-Smiley
latest report
admin wrote:
achilles, I think "merci veil mal" was the phrase you were looking for Wink

Actually I think it's more likely to be "merci vielmal" . vielmal means (literally) many times. People often mix up the order of i and e in German words, both ei and ie occur in many words, but they have different pronunciations . wink NehNeh
ski holidays
I have taken the TGV in the day to Bourg st. Maurice and then also got the Paris - Turin TGV in the evening from Chambery (it leaves Paris just after lunchtime I think) and getting off at Oulx. Waiting for the train are two buses to go to Montgenevre and Serre Chevalier, I was worried about catching the coaches etc but had no need to be. Just remember to have your passport on you when you travel between France to Italy on the train. There aren't any buses that meet the TGV that go to Sestriere and Sauze d'Oulx as far as I know, but booking a taxi wouldn't be too farfetched.
ski holidays
I am looking to travel across Europe from the UK this summer by rail, as it is much greener and I reckon it will enhance my experience and make it more of an adventure.

I have been using www.raileurope.co.uk as I found it offers the most extensive range of train tickets throughout Europe

Hope this helps Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy