Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

advice on first time avi equipment please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret, there are good and bad shovel techniques so worth knowing that in case the worst happens
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno, agreed fully but a manufacture defending collapse of a shovel, which is meant to be a piece of safety equipment, when tested in real world conditions failing due to "inappropriate" use is a bit much...if i was jacking my car up in a rain storm and it collapsed cause i wound the crank too fast or kicked it when it got stuck i wouldnt be too happy..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As ever, lots of really good comments but we have diverged from the OPs original question ...

Play with some transceivers, go for the one you understand & like, don't be distracted by all the bells & whistles & latest computer wizardry.
Buy a shovel ... some think metal is better, some think plastic is as good, nobody thinks plastic is better ... so buy metal
Buy a probe .. not one of the little short light-weight ones ... 2.2m or 2.4m should be the minimum

But most importantly ... Buy some training
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
..or go with the SCGB holiday arm, they provide transceivers at no extra cost.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Boredsurfing wrote:
..or go with the SCGB holiday arm, they provide transceivers at no extra cost.

They also do excellant mountaincraft weekends & weeks.
The SCGB also has reps in most major resorts that you can ski with. They will have at least one off-piste day a week, and will suply transceivers.

However I would reccommend buying your own transceiver. They really are a bit of an art to use, and all have their own little quirks.
Owning one, & practising with it regularly, will make you far more proficient, & confident if the need ever arises.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've owned 2 snow shovels

an Ortovox Polycarbonate one that I've had for 15+ years now. Its not even chipped and its dug many a snow cave and the landrover out of mud and the blade has been used as a sledge many times. I also have the matching snow saw that fits on the same handle (telescopic). Ortovox state "Guaranteed unbreakabke" and I believe them

I also had an Grizzly Alu shovel. It pretzelled when I landed on it. Into the bin it went. it was was less than a year old

As for digging, I couldnt tell any difference apart from the telescopic handle is better for snowcaves cos you can shorten it in restricted placed and lengthen it when there is space. I also have a snow claw now which is fantastic for shifting loose snow and for sitting on in snow caves

So I think it wrong to genralise metal or plastic. There are good and bad of each

I've also owned several transcievers and played with many others. I use an S1 now, simplest and easy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
madmole, I only have one test of a shovel. Do a practice dig in avi debris. Doesn't matter what it's made of as long as it stands up to that well. But just piled up snow is not the same.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 19-08-10 21:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarpa, So, since the video I linked to earlier showed a successful rescue with an polycarbonate-bladed shovel, and madmole has given his rough use which it has survived, it does seem that the case against polycarbonate is over-hyped. I gave away my rather heavy-duty Black Diamond aluminium one to easiski for her van, and bought my Orotovox polycarbonate-bladed one because of its lighter weight. The sort of comment I used to get about the BD was that if a skier was in a party with me he would be glad I was carrying it - but he wouldn't want to carry it himself. Keeping down back pack weight is sensible primary safety - you are less likely to get tired and so less likely to make a mistake. And as I am sure you are aware, overall backpack weight is brought down by keeping the weight of each individual object carried down to a minimum. I have not seen anything in this thread to suggest I should change my present shovel. Of course I could find avalanche debris I couldn't dig with it. However, I don't think you'd survive buried in the debris I am thinking of, even if the party had a JCB on hand.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Ortovox Blades are actually Lexan which is stronger that Aluminium anyway and they are guaranteed unbreakable. It flexes a little and thats a benefit when you land on it Madeye-Smiley. For avalanch debris and hard snow/ice my snow saw is FAR more effective than a shovel and I always carry that. (Also better for Avalanche assesment pits!)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
madmole, is right about using a saw. They can realy cut through dense snow and ice. great for snow pits, snow caves and other snow shelters as well as avi debris.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a big difference between Polycarbonate and polyethelene (HDPE) cheap nasty stuff is made of polyethelene, its way too flexible, degrades badly in UV, gets brittle in the cold etc etc. Polycarb is a totally different beast.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy