Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often do skis need servicing?

Poster: A snowHead
I bought my skis from the lovely snowHead Sarah and she'd only used them for one ski holiday I believe (they're certainly unmarked!) and waxed them before selling them to me. So I have used them for one full week in Italy, a day trip to Another World and a few fridge trips since then. I have a couple more fridge trips and two trips to Austria arranged for next season, so will my skis need servicing and/or waxing before or during any of that? How much should I expect to pay? I'm sure I had my old skis serviced once upon a time, but I didn't have any advice about it at the time.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia, Go and see Spyderjon and learn to DIY. wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geepee, I haven't got the time for all that, but Spyderjon isn't far away so he might be a good bet for getting my skis serviced. However since I work six days in seven, it might be tricky to sort.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia, agree with geepee, he's on your doorstep. They generally need waxing after every trip so your's are overdue. £15 or so for waxing, more when edges are done too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
He's the other side of Nottingham to me so only 20 or so miles away, I'm just not sure his 'opening hours' are going to be easy, but I'll email him and find out.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
queen bodecia, I work just off J26 so could easily meet to collect/return skis etc.

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/25/38/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As if by magic! Very Happy

Sounds perfect Jon, next fridge trip is a couple of weeks away so I'll be in touch after that. I'm guessing they'll need servicing again between my January and March trips if what Colin B says is true?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, Knight in shining armour rides up to help queen bodecia Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia - sounds like you have things sorted by using JST for servicing your skis, awesome ski tech so your skis are in good hands.
Just wanted to answer your question about when your skis need waxing for future ref:
*Handy tip I tell the younger guys that race train at Hemel/MK is that if by pressing (lightly) & moving the flat of your finger nail on your edges you are still able to remove shavings from your nail this means the edges are still in a decent condition.
*For ski bases - wipe your base clean with a cloth and stand your skis upright against the wall, flick a generous amount of water at the top of the ski base, if the water droplets form nice rounded beads and run down the base of the ski this means you still have a healthy amount of wax left in your base - if not go and book your skis into Jon!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Edge2Win, hello T welcome to snowHead 's !!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Edge2Win, thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure your race training buddies have rather more technical requirements than me, but I am conscious that keeping my skis in good condition will ensure they last me longer.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia, Edge2Win has a good point , the better the edge on the ski (well not so much in powder) and the better the base is waxed the easier it is to ski.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think spyderjon, is at Hemel tonight, I'll have to ask him if mine need doing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, spyderjon is as good as it gets. My experience is that, unless there are particularly rough conditions, starting off with the skis nicely waxed and edged by spyderjon, the skis will last a week without another technician service. However, it does pay to run over the edges with a stone and an edging tool (which spyderjon can supply) every evening, unless you have been skiing only in gorgeous powdery snow during the day. And you may need to give the skis the odd wipe with Zardox notwax - again obtainable from the mystro. This season I will have a viable workshop so I may service my own skis - but if I do I will miss the very sociable chat, tea and biccies I get when I have my skis serviced at the moment - because I have always stayed whilst my skis have been serviced - I've never been bored!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I would say wax/edge tune after every week away, but I'd probably wax after every fridge trip, as it seems to strip the wax very quickly. If your bases have a silvery, white look to them they need waxing!
snow conditions
if it is hard under foot i sharpen every few days when on hols and every night when training (unless i am knackered) Embarassed
snow conditions
queen bodecia, i'm in Nottingham too and had a great tuning lesson with Jon in June. If you're doing that much skiing, it will pay to DIY in the long run. It's straight forward once Jon's shown you. And let's face it, you're SOOOO close to him, it's a no brainer. Get yourself on one of his courses! snowHead

Cheers
Kersh
latest report
Kersh, I second that.! its a fantastic afternoon and a really worthwhile course.

queen bodecia, it makes sense and once you have seen it done properly you will never want to take your skis to a 'shop' tune again. Besides which he makes a good cuppa Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy