Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to Splice a Lift Cable

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.lift-world.info/en/technology/documentation/2/page2.htm
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brilliant - I'd always wondered how they achieved that

I can now go & splice one of my own....... Razz :
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geoffers wrote:
brilliant - I can now go & splice one of my own....... Razz :

They said team work was essential Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I watched mega engineering or something on Quest the other night. The Dubai ski building thingy was being featured. The project manager was expecting a splice of 5 or 6 feet. From my boating days, we would have thought a 6 foot splice on nylon rope was indestructible.... A 6 foot splice on steel cable would surely anchor the solar system. For the lift cable, the installers had specified a 50M splice. The complexity of a 50M splice on the ground with no tension is incredible. Doing it standing on a scaffold, just above your head with the full weight of the cable creating tension is just unreal. A bit of googling shows it isn't unrealistic, in fact it is a standard lift spec. No wonder ski passes cost so much
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suspect in part there are a couple of reasons for such a long splice, first and most obvious is that lift cables must maintain a constant diameter in order to run smoothly, with a normal splice in a rope this does not occur, with a wire cableway half the wires have to be removed from each side . secondly what they are doing is not a splice in a nauticle way, normally a splice would involve interweeving teh swo strands so that tension in teh cable actually causes teh strands to tighten against each other, that does not happen here so therefore the lengths involved most be significantly longer otherwise the strands would simply unravel
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Another reason for the increased security is the legal requirement of an increased factor of safety for wire ropes required for personnel transportation.

Max load requirement for the wire is identified and then multiplied by 5 - i.e. 5 times stronger than it is calculated that it needs to be to support the expected load. Hope this makes you feel safer.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dek wrote:

Max load requirement for the wire is identified and then multiplied by 5 - i.e. 5 times stronger than it is calculated that it needs to be to support the expected load. Hope this makes you feel safer.

What makes me feel safe is the fact that it is almost unheard of for modern lift cables to snap - unless hit by a military jet Sad

There was an incident in Whistler a couple of years ago when a pylon collapsed, but I don't recall hearing of any spontaneous cable snaps since I started skiing (1997).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Used to do just that when I worked for Land & Marine and we used to pull pipelines a couple of miles offshore with 3 1/4 inch wire rope.
Splice used to extend a couple of hundred feet hence the name "long splice".
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy