Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So where does it all go?

Poster: A snowHead
rjs wrote:
Bode Swiller, The humidity could also come from people breathing out.

Exactly

Get your kids to do this – its fun

Have a go at this when you get home.
Highly scientific gear you’ll need.
A hot tap and a cold tap
Two glasses – same size
Bag of sugar
A spoon

Fill up one class with really cold water
Fill the other with really hot water
Put one spoon of sugar into the cold glass and one into the hot glass
Stir well after each spoon
Keep doing this until you see the sugar start to collect in the bottom of the glass (it “will” be the cold glass). Stop putting sugar into the cold glass
Now keep doing this until you get some sugar forming in the water in the hot glass as well.

The difference between the amounts of sugar required to saturate the water in each glass will depend on the difference in temperatures.

It’s the same with the air (clouds and lack of them)
Warm air can absorb more water molecules before it become saturated (at this temp and pressure it's the dew point) but using sugar lets you see it

So there you go.
As the people (bodies, breath, etc) warm up the air in your big fridge the air warms slightly and so can hold in suspension more vapour which you see as mist. When the people leave (the vapour doesn’t, it stays there) but the heat source does, so the air cools down and the air can no longer hold the vapour in suspension so it falls down and the mist disappears.

Test it for yourself
Put your eye as near to the ground in snow as you can (that’s head on the floor looking sideways) you’ll notice a layer with no vapour.
Why ?
The snow is cooling this layer so it can’t hold as much moisture in suspension and you don’t see any mist.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
holidayloverxx wrote:
Mr HL says that sublimation is to change from solid to gas without becoming a liquid. Carbon Dioxide does this ice/snow will always go through a liquid phase before becoming water vapour.

er.... questions and cries of disbelief direct to Mr HL please (4 years Hons degree in materials science). Also, BTW, the fogginess is out of balance air con (he worked for the company that did the ice rinks and bobsleigh runs at Lillehammer winter olympics)

Ask him what the triple point of water is, and what triple point means. Can you clarify exactly what Mr HL did in this company. Given that he doesn't know that water can sublime, I am hoping he was making the tea and not involved in any important decisions.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thornyhill, He knows very well what triple point means. Sublimation is a phase change from solid to gas with no liquid (he says).

If you think he's wrong then clarify how water sublimes and I'll tell him. (BTW, he wasn't actually making the ice rinks!)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know anything about the physics but I do know that snow disappears (out on the mountain, not in a fridge) without any noticeable melting. It just goes up, up, up and away. On some days it does it so fast you can see it "steaming" (and yes, I do know that that is water vapour). But it still happens, whether you can see it or not. and when the dry, warm, foehn wind blows for a day across a section of off piste which has been tracked the tracks end up like railway lines, sticking up above the surrounding snow.

Whether that's sublimation or evaporation, and what the difference is, who knows? It's disconcerting, though. You can almost see the snow depths dropping.
It happens when there's no foehn too (ie the air is not so warm and dry), just slower.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, there isnt a roof over most mountains though, plus, they tend to be higher than sea level wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I believe the ski centre at Hemel physically removes the 'old' snow from the botom of the slope (to where it gradually gravitates) and stick it in a big bin outside to melt & drain away. I overheard the piste-basher driver telling someone in the bar.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
Thornyhill, He knows very well what triple point means. Sublimation is a phase change from solid to gas with no liquid (he says).

If you think he's wrong then clarify how water sublimes and I'll tell him. (BTW, he wasn't actually making the ice rinks!)

Mr HL is right in normal everyday circumstances
At normal pressure and temps water will always go from ice to water to floaty stuff.
So in his working environment he is correct.

This all changes when you go up a hill.
For sublimation happen you need a few things. Low pressure, shed loads of energy and cold.

Of course you get this up hills
Low pressure as there is less air up there (see item 4 for why)
Energy, on a slope this is from the sun – too complex for here but basically in the sun stuff goes bang and energy is released (see 1st para for why)
Everyone knows it’s colder up a hill (see 2nd paragraph and item 4 for why)

So, on a ski slope
If it was warmer then the ice would just melt and then the water would evaporate.
If it was dark there would be no energy to speed up the atomic mass (so vibrating the molecules enough to break bonds that hold the ice together)
If the pressure was higher the triple point would change (drop) so you’d need more (or is that less – who knows) cold and/or more energy.

Mind you this still doesn’t tell you why the snow disappears at Hemel, not clue about that one. Maybe someone pinches it each night.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wayne, thanks for today's science lesson - never my strong point!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, I'm not too sure what the lack of a roof has to do with it. If the air is less than 100% saturated, and is warmer than the snow, then surely the snow will evaporate? Slower, no doubt, than on a mountain with a foehn blowing, but it will disappear gradually, nonetheless.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
holidayloverxx wrote:
Mr HL says that sublimation is to change from solid to gas without becoming a liquid. Carbon Dioxide does this ice/snow will always go through a liquid phase before becoming water vapour.

I'm afraid that is wrong - for a multi-component system, such as water plus the components of air.

Mr hlxx is probably remembering the single-component phase diagrams for CO2 and H2O, for which the statement is correct at anything approaching a pressure equivalent to one atmosphere.

I don't know if Mr hlxx ever came across the "phase rule"; but that explains (at least the logic leading to it does) the possibility of transitions between multiple pairs of phases in a multi-component system at any given temperature and pressure.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
If the air is less than 100% saturated, and is warmer than the snow, then surely the snow will evaporate? .

Hmmmmmm.
Not really – if the snow was (for example) at -10’ and the air temp was at -5, the snow would not melt. Unless you took it down a really deep mine shaft.
For way to boring reasons if it was the other way around ie. the snow was -5 and the air was -10 you’d get sublimation.

Oh yeah, the mine shaft stuff is like this. When most stuff is frozen and you apply heat to it will normally expand (so the volume pushes outwards) as it melts. The higher the pressure around our stuff, the more energy is required for this push outwards, so the temp at which it melts is (ever so slightly) higher.
But with snow it’s different. The volume of snow/ice contracts when it melts so any increase of pressure will make it easier to contract and the melting point is (again, ever so slightly) reduced. So take a block of ice down a pit and it’ll melt quicker.

laundryman, I think (maybe wrong) that Mr HL was talking about ice/water/floaty stuff - not independent binaries, so he's right in everyday experiences. At least thats what they have dumbed down to now at A level (F=0 with pure water)
So a bit of slack may be awarded to a fellow snowHead - or at least the over'arf of a snowHead

All this has nowt what-so-ever to do with the theft of the snow at Hemel, so that's me out of this enormous thread drift.
I live therefore I snow-plough Toofy Grin

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 11-08-10 18:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, i was just trying to get the point across that in the dome we dont get sunshine, which adds a lot of the energy needed for sublimation...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wow this is technical, and I was worried about the amount of snow I transported out of the snowdome in the bottom of my ageing ski pants Toofy Grin

Have always wanted to ask, the experts!

why is snow white?
when it melts where does the white go? (OK Warren Miller said that)
and why is ice, blue, clear or grey?

O and I know why snow is yellow before anyone adds that one Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne wrote:
laundryman, I think (maybe wrong) that Mr HL was talking about ice/water/floaty stuff - not independent binaries, so he's right in everyday experiences. At least thats what they have dumbed down to now at A level (F=0 with pure water)
So a bit of slack may be awarded to a fellow snowHead - or at least the over'arf of a snowHead

I agree with all that apart the phrase "everyday experiences". It is A-level experience, in the sense that frictionless pulleys and ideal gases are A-level experiences, but not real-world experiences. Specifically, it's not mountain or snowdome experience.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is this going to be another 1,00 post thread, complete with A level physics, diagrams, personal abuse and trolling? (opens popcorn)
snow report
Spud9, ooh, I do hope so! (Passed physics "O" level thirty odd years ago and never had cause to do any since Cool .)
ski holidays
Come in, GrahamN, your time is up.
latest report
This thread could go from the sublime to the ridiculous. wink
snow report
The night pixies dress off the nasty bits and put them outside before the magic snow fairy covers everthing in nice new white fresh stuff to make it all look nice especially after the mini 'bully' has been
(Unless its Castleford in which case you just let it go grey and turn to boiler plate Toofy Grin Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
Hurtle,

GrahamN and I were taught this stuff by the same crew, so I'd be surprised if we differ. wink
snow conditions
Wayne has it sussed with the pit thing. I could go into about 100 pages of this, just for the proof, but I fear I would die of boredom at the same time as everyone else. You don't need low pressure or loads of energy for sublimation of water. In fact, it is almost impossible to create a scenario where snow/ice won't sublime if the conditions are right for it to melt. Every time you make a turn, you are expending energy..... where does this go? Into the snow you have just turned on. The snow can basically either gain heat, potential energy or kinetic energy from it. If you are throwing the snow uphill, it will have gained potential energy. If you just throw it to the side, it will have converted your energy to kinetic energy. If you push it down the hill, it will momentarily have more kinetic energy than it had, but by the time it lands it will have the same kinetic energy, but less potential energy. The energy you expended in the turn will seem to have disappeared, along with a small portion of the potential energy. We all know that energy in a closed system can't just disappear, so it can only have been converted to heat. (This is how ice skating works - the pressure of your blades melt the ice below your skate so you can glide along on an incredibly small skin of water.) The heat required is fairly large in proportion to the other energies involved, so if we take P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2, T2 has increased substantially so P2V2 must also increase for the snow under your turn. As you have just melted a minuscule amount of snow, V2 will be smaller, so P2 will have to be greater than the increase of T2 and loss of V2 combined. Once you leave that bit of snow, the reverse happens. Suddenly T1 and V1 have been reinstated, so P2 will drop under P1 by the amount of energy you have expended making the turn. During the course of 1 turn, you will exert a relatively massive amount of pressure and temp on the snow. As the snow jumps from being frozen to melted and back to frozen, a tiny amount of it will have evaporated, without ever becoming water. You have to trust me on the triple point thing though. (You don't even need to make a turn..... the friction related to skiing straight down will do the same thing.)

So every time someone comes down the slope, they evaporate a tiny bit of it. Mr HL could have a point that the fogginess is caused by underpowered AC, but his dismissal of sublimation would mean that in a cold enough snow dome or ice rink, you wouldn't ever need any energy to make new snow or ice
snow report
Thornyhill, I'm sure loads of us were all thinking exactly that.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Thornyhill, I'm sure loads of us were all thinking exactly that.

What... That you would die of boredom?
latest report
Great thread Toofy Grin
What is the effect of inner tip lead on the energy transference, does inner tip lead melt the snow faster Puzzled
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
What is the effect of inner tip lead on the energy transference, does inner tip lead melt the snow faster Puzzled

You're a very bad person Toofy Grin

Go into a small dark room and have a dam good talk with yourself about your attitude then come back and apologise to the rest of the class/forum. Right class, whilst we're wait waiting for Boredsurfing to return we have time for some cakes and lashings of ginger beer.
latest report
Boredsurfing, You are just plain evil Toofy Grin
snow report
Well, we are back from hols (very nice time, thanks for asking). Mr HL might wish to come back in, if he can be ars*d
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy