Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grenoble Car Hire

Poster: A snowHead
We've booked flights and accommodation for Jan next year. Because of how Xmas falls the accommodation runs from Sun Jan 2nd to Sun Jan 9th, which is fine by us.

However, we seem to have run in to a problem. It seems that most car rental sites don't have any availability for the dates of our trip. Does anyone know what is going on with car hire at Grenoble?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I had this problem as well I think. All the car hire companies show as being shut for Winter on the hire companies trading hours on the booking sites yeah?

This is of course not true and there's no way that car hire for that week has sold out, I think it's just the local inbred lazy franchise operators being crap. How are you trying to book? Give holidayautos a go.

Also, when you inevitably return and find mysterious sums of money charged to your credit card, tell Martin O'Boye I said hi..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulio, thanks for the reply.

That's exactly what's happening.

Even HolidayAutos is showing no cars in Grenoble. What kind of crazy world are we living in?! Twisted Evil
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ring them up and ask.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its just too far in advance, as lizzard says call them. which companys are you trying to call and where are you going. as many resorts are accsesible by trsansfer bus. from grenoble try bens bus. asa cars are normally not needed in resort, depending on resort. either way I live in the grenoble area and can probably help you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We were originally looking to go skiing that week but changed dates one of the reasons being that I couldn't find any sunday to sunday car hire. Have now booked a car later in Jan through Eurostar. The price they quoted is cheaper than the price on the Europcar website. Maybe you could try ringing Eurostar for a car hire quote - you do not have to book train tickets, they do car hire or hotel only rates.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, we have spoken to Avis. They claimed that it is correct they are shut, but for £40 extra we could arrange for an out of hours collection. How can a major hire company be closed at the height of ski season? They didn't have an answer to that question.

piste2powder, I'm not so sure it is too early. We're going to the US for Summer hols next year, and I can hire a car for July 2011. I can also find plenty of car hire in Geneva for the same week we're going away in Jan. We looked in to transfers, but it appears to be about the same cost as hiring a car, and obviously doesn't offer the speed and flexibility of having your own car in resort. Besides, we always stop off at the supermarche on the way up to resort to stock up for the week. Don't think Transisere would be too keen on waiting while we get loaded up on groceries snowHead

snowymum, I'm now beginning to wonder if we've done the wrong thing. The ESF also said they were still going to be running their lessons from Sun-Fri, and not Mon-Sat. I figured they just hadn't realised what was going on yet, and may well change their mind closer to the time.

I'm sure it'll come out fine in the end. I was just wondering if anyone had any inside knowledge that might explain the strangeness.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
m00958, Where are you going? Alpe d'Huez or Les Deux Alpes I would guess. Ben's Bus do very competitive, economical and professional coach transfers from the airport to both. Les Deux Alpes has a decent supermarket in the resort with a decent range and prices (Marche U I think), Alpe D'HHuez not so good in that deparment if I remember correctly from my last trip there.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 8-08-10 18:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Colin B, close. Vaujany. Same difference, I guess snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
m00958, cross posted I've just added to my post, guess there's not too much in the way of supermarkets in Vaujany, not sure whether Bens go there either.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
m00958,
I don't know who you are flying with but if you go through the easyjet site to the europcar site, that certainly gives a quote for cars 02/01/11 to 09/01/11. £180 for a golf.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
m00958
It happens every year at Grenoble - wait until Autumn and everything will start working.
Its because the airport car hire offices don't officially open during the summer due to demand.
There are only a few flights and all car hire is run out of the town centre offices instead.
Even in winter, the car hire offices aren't open 24/7 like other airports.
I've had to leave the keys in a post box on many occasions.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
janner wrote:
I've had to leave the keys in a post box on many occasions.

Me too. With hilarious consequences.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
janner, that is entirely correct, and I don't know why I'd forgotten about it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That's cool. I had come to the conclusion that the world couldn't have gone that mad, and they were probably being somewhat tardy snowHead

I'm keen not to use Holiday Autos, or EasyJet, as every time I go to Grenoble all the people seem to be lined up at one desk. Last year it took 1.5 hours for them to process the 5 people in front of me. Even if it costs ~£50 more I'm not doing that again. Never seems to be a queue at Hertz or Avis, so I think they'll be getting my business, when/if they sort out their websites.

paulio, I'm curious to know what happened with the keys and the post box snowHead
snow report
m00958,

er, I am no particular fan of Ryanair either, they are just a useful tool sometimes, but you can go through their site and book with Hertz, £177 for a Ford c-max 02/01 to 09/01. I don't think they have a separate, slow, desk at Grenoble for those who arrive at their site through Ryanair. Or maybe they do Toofy Grin
latest report
skitow, good call! I didn't realise Ryanair had a deal with Hertz. The main Hertz site is quite expensive (£201 for a corsa)

Can't see a C-Max for £177, but they do have an astra for £189. That's certainly in the ball park.
latest report
m00958 wrote:
paulio, I'm curious to know what happened with the keys and the post box snowHead

Follow that link I posted then...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy