Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

two 3 valleys questions - should i change weeks and what ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have booked up for Courchevel 1850 for March 20th. I've just had a big troll through all of the snow reports for the place from last year and it looks like it can be very warm and the snow at lower levels can get slushy at that time of year. Not a problem for me as i can jump on a lift and get to some higher stuff, but will it affect my 1 wk skiing experience wife - are there decent beginner level slopes at higher altitudes that are within easy reach of 1850?

I also have the option of booking for the week before (March 14th) for an extra few quid. Opinions please?

and...

I'm considering changing my skis for next season. Currently on K2 Xplorers and looking at last seasons Kung Fujas as an all round ski. Funnily enough, they're both Fall-line's skis of the year for the past two years, but i'd like opinion of those who have used them. It's looking like there's a lot of off-piste opportunity at Courchevel and if the snow turns softer in the afternoon, would the Kung Fujas offer any more than i'd get from the Xplorers, on and off piste?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shoogly While a week can make all the difference if it snows in general terms it will not make a huge difference.

IMHO Courcheval has plenty of beginners skiing higher up and it is accessed by easy bubbles (so you could ride down too) or chairs.

Can't help re: skis I'm afraid.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly, 1 week around that time shouldn't make much of a difference either way, although I would suggest as early in March as possible if you want to hedge your bets.

Re. skis I can only speak from similar experience; I had K2 Recons for 4 seasons and served me very well. Upgraded to Scott Missions last season as was very glad I did. I added 10cm in length and 10mm in width and haven't looked back since.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
another vote for the "there is enough easy enough stuff which you can get to" voice

We've been there at similar time of year and had better snow than early season so you never know
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As advised above, the week before is statistically slightly more likely to be cooler but either week should be OK. The previous week - March 14th - is the first after the end of the French school holidays, and might be slightly more crowded as a result. Courchevel is great for an early skier - plenty of scope, and easy way back down to the resort.

Some good instruction available, too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Soft snow.

Fat skis.

Do you hang around MTB forums?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly, stick with the booked week, no significant difference between the two weeks IMO. If it helps reassure you any, for the last two seasons we have skied there 2nd -3rd week of April and had good snow, yes slushy by the afternoon but plenty to go at higher up and this is nearly a whole month later than you are going. We have had fresh snow too then snowHead No problems and your wife will finds lots of suitable places to go very easily. I am very tempted to book same week same place as you, had a nice quote from them wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pic taken from La Tania chalet window 22.3.08 after first night of a foot of fresh with another foot still to follow that week.

As for skis, size is everything wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, I recognise that very nice pic, nice chalet, nice spot, we stayed down the road the main one you can see in your view Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly, what length are your current skis? How tall are you?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc, used to frequent singletrack quite a lot... injury forced me to stop being as silly on bikes as i was known to be Very Happy and i only get out on the bike every couple of months or so now that we've got the wee one. plan on getting out a lot more once she gets her balance bike in the next few weeks though.

o11y, my Xplorers are 177. i'm 6'4" and around 13.5 stone. i know they're too short in anything over 6" of freshies, but on piste and in anything up to that they are a riot.

I really like the look of last years Kung Fujas - this years are a touch too wide i think!

sarah, and everyone else, thanks for the re-assurance. Had a talk with my wife about it last night and we're sticking with the booked week, especially in light of pam w's, school holiday comment. I think my wife will enjoy the quieter slopes.

sarah, get it booked!!!! it's a bargain. i got costs for various different hotels and chalets with various companies and the esprit deal is the best value and actually level on price with the cheapest we could get. and it includes child care, which would need to be added on to the same price quoted for anything from Crystal.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Slush is better for beginners.

Helps to control speed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a Val d'Isere man myself to be assured of good snow late in the season, but a week either way woan't make difference.

On the ski's, I'd wait till you get to the resort and test a few out 'cos what suits one person won't suit another, wieght and style etc. They'll let you test as many as you like if you end up bying the teset wil be free at worst case you may have to pay a small hire charge. Kepp an open mind and have a look at Amada all terrain or one of the Line range.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm a Val d'Isere man myself to be assured of good snow late in the season

But March isn't remotely late in the season! And Val D'Isere wouldn't be anything like such a good place for shoogly's wife. We ski in an area with a top altitude of 2000m and March, for the last eight years, has been by far the best combination of snow and weather.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's ok... after this thread, and reading a bit more, and talking with HID, we aint changing weeks, and absolutely not changing location Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy