Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Race training for adults in UK

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know of courses similar to this one being run in Europe?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marc gledhill, How about this.

I have been on their courses in the past and have several friends who still do each year.

You should have asked last night, the main reason people were standing around talking was that we were discussing when we were going out to Tignes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs, that looks pretty good. I'd presumed your trips would all be coached from within the club.

When are they all thinking of going out there?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
marc gledhill, I'm booked onto Snoworks race training course for the week of 19th November. This will be the second time I've signed up - I did a review of last season's course in this thread.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar.org.uk, Somehow I missed your post last season. Excellent review.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Should be back on Monday. Had holiday / work things past couple of weeks. Will you guys be there?

You'll be 3 sessions better than me now!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, I haven't been myself for a good few weeks. Doing ASSI course next week so won't be there. Hopefully back to Mon nights in a couple of weeks. Have fun.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure I can make it tonight after all that!! Woke up this morning and done something to my neck... Will see how it feels later on.

If I'm not there then have fun!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Err, if this is now the semi-official Lions Ski Club thread; then this is a heads up that there's no meeting on Monday 7th December as the slope have an event on. So don't turn up.

The Sunday meeting is still on, and I'm probably popping over to that if I can wake up on time. Confused

Nice to see spyderjon, spyderdebs & rockyrobin there last night though
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
marc gledhill, Good to see you again last night. Thanks for the note re 7th Dec. Hopefully see you next Mon.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc gledhill, Just checked my diary & I think you mean Mon 5th Dec?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, he might mean the 7th November??
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elizabeth B wrote:
spyderjon, he might mean the 7th November??

He might
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill, You can come here and do summer race training either with Dave Morris or with Pierre Alain Carrell. They both run very good weeks. I'm not sure how to contact Dave, but Jeremy at the European Ski School will know. Pierre Alain can be contacted either through me or via the LDA website connection. He's a top guy and you just have to book and turn up - it's not a "camp" per se, but real race training and not everyone is that expert - ask Graham N and Spyderjon It's much cheaper - that one you put up is a horrific price!!!

BTW Phil Smith is also very good - but it's Tignes (ugh)!!!! Sad Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is there a Lions equivalent at Milton Keynes Xscape?. The web site shows race training on Sunday mornings, but this looks like it is run by Xscape rather than an indepedant club and is more expensive.
latest report
GONADS!! Sorry I did mean 7th NOVEMBER Embarassed

easiski, I'll have to buy a bigger browny point bag first and then try to fill it. I'm off to the ESA in Jan/Feb without the rest of the clan and I'm not sure I could swing anything till next summer. But if I combine it with a family trip to the Alps!...............Mmmmm, I feel the stirrings of a plan coming together Twisted Evil

(Note to self, "gonads" not recognised by profanity filter. As anticipated!)
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
it's not a "camp" per se, but real race training and not everyone is that expert - ask Graham N and Spyderjon

...thanks rolling eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing (but entirely accurate). This was excellent value: we paid Eur25 each for 3 hours slalom training. The first couple of hours were technique exercises (including an absolutely evil tight verticale, which really showed up the back-seat aspect of my technique - I did start making a marginally better than completely incompetent stab at it towards the end though). Then the last hour was a real course. My time improved by over 6 secs in 30 while running down that - and even beat by about 0.4 secs the time he said I was capable of to egg me on.

In the afternoon Pierre-Alain gave us another couple of hours of GS (for free - "just tell your friends"). I was well chuffed that by the end of the session I was approaching similar times to some of the rest of the class (*), again improving by well over 5 secs - but this time frustratingly unable to beat 30 second mark (the last 5 runs were between 30.06 and 30.18 IIRC). And even more frustratingly I realised about half an hour after the end of the session how what he was telling me about the 2nd half of a GS turn works, but couldn't then try it out. Also it's clearly time to work on starts, as I was probably losing up to 0.5 secs there. I was of course still well down on the leaders (about 4.5 secs in 30 on the leader, and about 2 down on the next couple).

And when we finished, he said he was off to see "the fast kids". Shocked Shocked

The grip a decent pair of skis (Stockli Spirits) gave on perfect snow was a revelation, and it took a while to realise how agressive you could be. After all that though, I'm going to have to be careful about going back to Dendix, and take it pretty steady until I find out how far I can trust things there. But I get to try out my new Fischers (which turned up the day we left for LDA) tomorrow
[crazy_skier_jules mode]whayyyyyaaaaaaaaaayyyyyYYYYYYYYY yooohoooooooohoooooo snowHead snowHead [/crazy_skier_jules mode]

* Our competition in the class was mostly 6-9 year old kids Very Happy - and some of them were doing it on only one ski!
ski holidays
mac wrote:
Is there a Lions equivalent at Milton Keynes Xscape?. The web site shows race training on Sunday mornings, but this looks like it is run by Xscape rather than an indepedant club and is more expensive.

I've tried to find something like the Lions Club at MK but failed to find anything. The XScape race training session on Sunday mornings is too expensive for a regular commitment (and no point in doing just once or twice in my opinion), so I won't be trying it. Shame really. By lowering their price a bit I probably would have become a regular. Now I'll save my cash for the Alps.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy