Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Race training for adults in UK

Poster: A snowHead
easiski wrote:
spyderjon, You're absolutely right about the cross-blocking introducing rotation. You should only do it when close enough to the poles to need to, and many kids try to do it even when they're miles from the pole - hey presto! ROTATION Crying or Very sad

Click on thumbnail to enlarge Any guesses as to "what happened next" to this skier from Kosovo? Photo taken Sunday morning in Le Sauze, click on thumbnail for higher resolution image... (rotation was definitely not his main problem! Laughing)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well apart from the fact that he was trying to ski on grass rather than snow, I'd guess he stradled the pole and probably went down quite hard, did anyone tell him that he was on grass skis not carvers Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not even close! Over to Ally...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, Looks like a terminal case of 'being in the back seat' .......... Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, Did he do a sumersault? It looks as if his inside ski is going to "head butt" the pole, which might have caused him to flip up in the air .....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paulhothersall, does that mean it's not a great night to "debut"?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
marc gledhill, should be fine, especially if you came up on Sunday to have a go.

Just making you aware, so you don't get scared off by the kiddies, and also that there will be a bit more of a queue for the race course.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski wrote:
PG, Did he do a sumersault? It looks as if his inside ski is going to "head butt" the pole, which might have caused him to flip up in the air .....

Close enough! He didn't straddle but broke the pole somehow, did a forward somersault, ended up on his skis heading for the next gate and only lost a couple of seconds on his time for the first run (course not reset)...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
paulhothersall, no sign of grass skiing making a comeback in the UK? Apologies for the diversion, I'll start a separate thread later...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, Never tried it myself, although wouldn't mind a go.

The (snowsport england) responsibility is for some strange reason under "nordic", as opposed to alpine. Setup a new thread, and we can go into this
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had fun last night and it was good to meet you all. All the whizzy kids were a bit intimidating, so hopefully next time we'll pluck up the courage to have another go through the gates...

rockyrobin,

Quote:

its probably going to be B5's

Still feel the same?!! wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It was really nice to meet up with spyderjon, rockyrobin,and beanie1 last night. Sorry I didn't get to say goodbye to you beanie, but hope to see you there again soon.

paulhothersall and rjs made us feel very welcome, as a new "Lion" it helps a lot if you "veterans" do have a couple of words - we don't feel like we've crashed the party then. I also welcome any tips you can give or critisisms of my skiing, as that's one of the reasons I'm there, so I appreciated the chat with rjs - it did pay off. snowHead

Looking forward to getting there on a normal night as the squad timings meant I didn't have the chance to try the gates. OK, the kiddies were intimidating too Cool

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 2-08-05 12:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It was nice to meet you guys last night. Its always fun to do some sliding with some friendly faces and really enjoyed having a slide with you guys. I'm really looking forward to doing the poles next week all being well so will be badgering you all to join me Laughing

Spyderjon did a good demonstration of how to make yourself look like a teapot exercise for angulation which got a few chuckles from the onlooking crowd. Laughing

Everyone put in some really nice turns last night and was great to listen to the technique advice tips the guys who run the training night give to us.

Beanie1, Funny last night watching you mince down the slope on those B5's first run. You certainly looked good on them. I do feel that once taken out of the sterile environment of a snowdome they would be too much so its probably not going to be B5's now Laughing
I'll see if I can get hold of some M11's for us to play on next week if my ST11's haven't arrived.

I'm going to try and get hold of some shin and hand guards this week and will bring them and my helmet next Monday as long as you guys promise not to leave me to do the poles on my own.

Cheers,

Chris
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good tip for arm protection: Take 2 old sweatshirts and sew them together with carrymat strips in between. Carrymatt is the biz for stopping the pain of poles, and that way you keep adding new bits as you progress and start hitting the poles in different places. Cheap too!!

If anyone wants a pair of hand guards for poles let me know and I'll post them - they've been hanging around in my bag for years, a bit of use would be good. I won't be using them again anyway. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What's carrymatt please?
snow conditions
she means karrimat Very Happy

(although I'm sure someone will contradict me)
ski holidays
Ah ha!
snow report
what's karrimat? am i being thick?!
snow report
beanie1, it's the roll up foamy stuff you lay out under your sleeping bag when camping.
ski holidays
No idea how to spell it - but that's it - really good stuff, and dead cheap.
snow conditions
rockyrobin wrote:
Spyderjon did a good demonstration of how to make yourself look like a teapot exercise for angulation which got a few chuckles from the onlooking crowd. Laughing

I resemble that remark! Rich too, coming from the guy who's ordered girlie skis Laughing

It was good to meet Mark again who definately needs some orange Tecnica boots to match those skis.

Beanie1's style showed us all up, especially on the b5's (does that mean I've got girlie skis too?Embarassed) You can tell she's done her BASI 3 Mad

I'm on a course next week but hopefully I can make it.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
I resemble that remark!

Your words not mine Laughing

Quote:
RACING SKI WITH A
SOFT LINE
With the soft racing ski, ATOMIC combines racing
feeling with easy handling
The ski which has been especially developed for
comfort-conscious sportsmen and sportswomen
offers the perfect solution for all those who do not
want to do without the features of a racing ski, yet
also prefer easy handling on the piste.

Just to clarify for the people on here that i'm not the type of guy who has a liking for girlie stuff Very Happy

Hope you can make it next week mate. Do your best.
ski holidays
rockyrobin, SL11 = Men, ST11 = Ladies, LT11 = light weight wuss girls

In reality though, Atomic have finally made a ski, (that shock horror) can be made to carve more than one turn radius.
ski holidays
paulhothersall, Would you settle for - SL11 = Larger Men, ST11 = Unisex, LT11 = light weight wuss girls Very Happy

You've made me feel better about the ST11 being able to carve more than one turn radius. I felt the SL9m would have been too much for my ability so sounds like I will get a good compromise for my ability Smile

I'm not sure now if I will be able to come next Monday as i've got some nasty shin blistering from yesterdays sliding antics.
Do you allow people to join in the fun on bum sliders? Laughing
Sickening thing is i've got a pair of Atomic M11's sitting here waiting to be demoed which i'm itching to get sliding on.
I'll see how things go and hope to see you guys on Monday, fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Chris
ski holidays
rockyrobin wrote:
paulhothersall, Would you settle for - SL11 = Larger Men, ST11 = Unisex, LT11 = light weight wuss girls Very Happy

There seems to be a race version of the ST11 that is only available in 155cm - they are ladies' skis.
ski holidays
rjs, as "used" by the top ladies on the latter part of the year in the world cup....

The daft thing is the skis are probably better for most people (including me) to race on than the SL11 , which is very stiff and requires a fat git like me to literally jump on them.

I am tempted with the race department P60 "race tiger" skis at the moment though.
ski holidays
paulhothersall wrote:
rjs, as "used" by the top ladies on the latter part of the year in the world cup....

The daft thing is the skis are probably better for most people (including me) to race on than the SL11 , which is very stiff and requires a fat git like me to literally jump on them.

Sure, I would have thought it worthwhile making them in 165 as well for use by Junior guys.

My Fischers don't need me to jump on them all that hard, but I do notice if I lose any leg strength.
ski holidays
rjs, I just downloaded the race catalogue and your right. I didn't realise they did the ST without the consumer railflex setup for the Device 310/412 bindings like I have on my Metrons.
I may have a pair of Look P10's going begging that I could have used on them. Do you know whether I can use these on a normal consumer version of the ST11 if I decide not to fit the railflex plate?

paulhothersall, Are you not happy with your Omeglass's your on at the moment?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rockyrobin, omeglass are ok, but the bases have 2 very large patches of p-tex in them, and won't last forever. My luck usually means I break them just before i need them for a 3 weeks camp or some such..

My old fischers that i sold in january are due to be paid for by the bloke in a few weeks, and i might as well just put the money back on skis.

Incidently the dynastars (165cm omeglass 63) were a "free" upgrade from a knackered rock-hopper 2 year older version (the 157cm omeglass 64). I lent them out to a RAF guy as his BASI deal Slalomon skis needed rejecting, thanks to the infamous QC on skis that they have at the factory. Thankfully Favre sports in Tignes did a swop out for me within a day, so happy to give them a good plug here. They are aslo excellent boot fitters. Anyway,,,, back to the story... he hit a few rocks and took them to the shop on the last day for a grind.

When he went to pick them up, he was given the ones i have now, complete with my ski strap on them. he didn;t notice, and i didn;t until we had left the resort (we packed 50+ pairs on the bus).

The onlt thing is these "new" ones were both not new ( had just been patched and ground), but most importantly have the crappy look binding on them. The ones that went in the shop had salomon riser plates, with salomon 14-20 FIS bindings, all ontop of the dynastar plate. oh well,
latest report
paulhothersall, Ouch! That sounds like a real bad experience. I don't know whether to think they made a genuine mistake or someone took a liking to your setup and thought they'd have a go at trying it on. Just me being cynical I guess.

I always feel very wary of having my skis serviced by shops as i've seen one or two really sloppy tune jobs friends have had done. It takes a brave person to trust a resort shop if your only there for a week or two. I'd be scared that I was setting myself up to get the "punter" treatment.

I'm curious about your dislike for the Look bindings you got back in return. Were these the P10/12/14 lifters?
ski holidays
rockyrobin, i got newer skis, in the newer FIS legal length. Believe me they were in better condtion than the old ones. I was reasonably happy with the deal

bindings are P14. i don't like the movement i can feel in the heel in the middle of turn, or feel confident with the little thud it makes when putting them on. The heel dis is also a rreal pain to adjust. The all metal salomon FIS binding (the old design one) was absolutly solid, released when needed and never gave me any problems.

I trust very few people to do anything to my skis. Stone grinding and proper patching is the only thing I let others do, and even then I am very selective.

i have all the kit to prep skis properly if you want to learn/have a go yourself. I will be doing ski prep post the saturday race, if you want to do anything then?
latest report
paulhothersall, Glad to hear you got the best end of the mixup. I reckon my thicky batton must have been close to hand when I read your last post resulting in me getting it back to front Laughing

I'm surprised there's so much difference between bindings feel on the ski. I guess not being the most competent of skiers I probably wouldn't notice the difference myself. I hope that will change in time though doing the race training when I get my gear sorted out.

I'm afraid i've been roped into my familys carryon on Saturday which would be hard to get out of. If I can wriggle out of it i'll come along and would be eager to see how ski tuning/repair is meant to be done. If I can make it i'll bring my battered M9's with me as there's plenty of potential repairs they need.
If I cannot make it I hope to see you guys on Monday evening if my blistered shins can cope with it.
snow conditions
Who's going tonight?
latest report
Me Cool
ski holidays
I want to, but I am up at Pendle Ski Club putting in and wiring up a new cable for the timing and audio system in the ground for this next weekends race.
latest report
I'm going Very Happy
latest report
Sorry I didn't say goodbye to you last night - suddenly realised it was 9.40 and I had a long drive home! Doesn't time fly when you're having fun?!

Had an excellent time last night - beginning to get the hang of it a bit more now, and I love my new skis!
snow conditions
It looked like the famous phantom job to me, one minute you're arguing with Graham that your times were faster than he'd recorded, then you vanish! wink snowHead

Nice to see you again, getting shinpads and hand-guards on for the first time gave me something else to think about, hopefully I'll get to grips at the next session.

I found that tip rjs, gave us about the hips worked very well, if I could only put it into practice in the gates rolling eyes .

Cheers.
snow report
Nice to slide with you again last night. You guys look like your getting the hang of this gate whacking Smile
Sorry I could not spend more time in the gates with you last night but I felt I was skiing them so badly, not ontop of my skis, back seat, scared of the poles, getting confused of which hand to block with, oh my!
Will try harder next week if I can pluck up the courage.

Was great to see everyone doing so well. Hope I can work my way up to doing the same soon.

I'm having a lesson tonight so will badger my instructor to sort me out Laughing

Look forward to seeing you all next Monday Smile

Cheers,

Chris
ski holidays
rockyrobin,

Don't be so down on yourself - I'm sure you weren't half as bad as you imagine. I find that skiing can be a particularly emotionally and psychologically draining sport - particularly when you care so much about improving. Try to focus more on the positives, and just have fun!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy