Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help, Beanie1 I need an answer :)

Poster: A snowHead
skimottaret, yes. Some of my L2 hours were race coaching, but as I was with the new people to the club it was mainly like instructing anyway.

As said above the shaodwing hours for L1 only need be ski school experience, but I'd recommend the more teaching experience they can get the better. There's nothing more scary than your first class of 10 beginners staring at you!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1 wrote:
I'd recommend the more teaching experience they can get the better. There's nothing more scary than your first class of 10 beginners staring at you!!

Fully with you on that one and make sure you're shadowing experienced instructors too if you can. I've seen newly qualified L1's shadowing other new L1's, it was like the blind leading the blind.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Spyderman, beanie1 and Steve Angus

All duly noted

TG
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
couldnt agree more with getting all round experience and at L1 focusing on beginners, i just wanted to check because the shadowing for Race coach badges is specifically within a race club, instructing hours dont count and i just wanted to see if there was any change at BASI re instructing hours. On my isia teach there was a guy who had all his 200 hours from race coaching and hadnt done any low end instructing and was a pretty shocking teacher of CT stuff, the trainer said that BASI was looking at separating the two to avoid people becoming one dimensional... Takes a fair while to get 200 hours of coaching hours....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve Angus, skimottaret, I've got the official stats from the BASI office. This rerport is a couple of months old, and as people are qualifying all the time, the numbers change constantly. But it gives you a ballpark idea.

These numbers are for alpine, as I think that's what's being discussed here:

Alpine Level 1 574
SSS/BASI Alpine Level 1 5
Alpine UK Adavanced Instructor 13
Alpine Level 2 2066
Alpine Ski Teacher 95
Alpine Level 3 ISIA 145
Alpine National Ski Teacher 65
Level 4 ISTD 298

Whilst there are only 145 L3s, National Ski teacher (old grade 1) and L4s are of course also ISIAs, so 508 in total.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
beanie1 - thanks - that clarifies!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, thanks that is interesting, i am surprised there are only 65 grade 1's and 95 grade 2's... is this the total number that actually qualified over time or is it current active members?

i would assume a lot of members would have let their membership lapse if not actively teaching anymore with refreshers, dues, first aid etc...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, that's current members. The old teachers and national teachers are only those who haven't upgraded their qualifications. I think the L1 and 2 numbers would be higher otherwise if it was anyone who'd ever qualified, due to all the gap years.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1, tah makes more sense .. but raises the original question... 110 eurotest passes doesnt equal 298 ISTD does it? even with a few exemptions for racers wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, no. What I understood, is that during the change over period there was a time when existing grade 1s had to fill in paperwork to upgrade their qualification to ISTD, as long as they did it before a certain date they didn't have to do the Eurotest. Which is why you still meet ISTDs (including trainers) who haven’t done the Eurotest. Those who are still classified at grade 1s, therefore didn’t do the paperwork to convert.

Current grade 2s need to do second discipline, common theory, mountain safety, second language, and coaching and then they get their L3 with ISIA stamp

Current grade 1s need to do EMS and Eurotest to get their L4 ISTD.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, ahh that makes sense. so 65 grade 1's never upgraded to ISTD but kept their membership running...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been asked a question by PM about BASI instructors working in France, and what the exact requirements are.

A L2 or L3 needs to pass the test technique and then get a job as a stagiere at a training centre. From this season there will be several British ski schools with training centre status, but this year stagieres still need to have passed the teste technique. The entry criteria may change in future.

A L4 can work freely in France, provided they have completed the relevant paperwork. Only once a person has completed all the elements of the L4 and have received the certificates should they then apply for right of establishment in France by firstly requesting Equivalence then registering their intent to work by requesting a Carte Professionale.

I hope this answers the question snowcrazy.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1, Thanks, more or less what I thought and posted over on another thread, but good to have it confirmed.

I take it that with the L4, the Euro test is a part of the final assessment which is why they can work in France if they have passed.

Interesting that you say there is only one brit that has completed the whole thing to L4 under this system. I have to say that when you read the BASI web site, it does not make it clear that an L2 or L3 cannot work in France even 'on piste', let alone 'off piste' unless they are taken on as a 'Stagiere' at a recognised 'French system' training centre' having first passed the Ski teste technique.

So the new L3 and L4 Mountain safety course does not in fact apply to France unless a BASI Instructor has his Euro Test, Equivalence and is registered as holding a 'Carte Professionale'. A French stagiere must pass a whole lot of stuff at BASI Level 3 before they will allow their instructors to go off piste even in the resort. From an insurance point of view this is really important, quite a few companies have put restictions, saying you must be with a qualified Instructor or Guide off piste.

My advice to anyone would be to ask the Instructor or Guide to show you there 'Carte Professional' if they are running an off piste course or even an on piste lesson if they do not want to be taught by a stagiere. That way they will know they have nothing to worry about. Would be interested to hear your feelings beanie1, about this?

Do you know which British run Ski Schools have been given a 'French Training Centre status' by the authorities there so they can take stagieres? As far as I know, there are none in the Paradiski area. What about Three Valleys, Espace Killy or any of the other areas? Would be good to know.

I did email BASI myself, but they have not yet replied to my email so thanks for finding out. I know at least one young guy who will now work as a French Stagiere and go through there system as it is cheaper and he only has to pass the ski teste technique and then train and work with the ESF and take there exams like the French kids do. A much cheaper and quicker way, know need for him to do any of the BASI stuff at all really. (But only if you are a good enough skier in the first place of course and can speak French ok.)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowcrazy,
Quote:

Interesting that you say there is only one brit that has completed the whole thing to L4 under this system.

Sorry, where did I say this? Apologies if I gave that impression that's not the case - I don't have the exact number to hand, but there are several hundred L4s, and a lot of them work in France, so will have registered in the correct way.

I think it's always a good idea for members of the public to check an instructor's qualifications.

I'll find out which British ski schools will be training centres this season.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Beanie,
My BASI licence is 3 years old March 2011.
I might not be able to do a refresher or other course before that date.
What happens if I do either after March, is that OK or do I need to redo whole course.
snow conditions
Dek, I was in the same position as you onace and asked the same question. No, you won't need to do the whole course again if you don't get the refresher in before March, but your licence won't be valid until you referesh again.

Why haven't you done your L2 yet anyway?! wink
ski holidays
snowcrazy,
Quote:

Do you know which British run Ski Schools have been given a 'French Training Centre status' by the authorities there so they can take stagieres?

BASS Morzine, and possible one other, TBC.
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
snowcrazy,
Quote:

Do you know which British run Ski Schools have been given a 'French Training Centre status' by the authorities there so they can take stagieres?

BASS Morzine, and possible one other, TBC.

See http://www.basi.org.uk/docs/Training%20Centres%20-%20Text%20DR.pdf

The two schools are BASS Morzine and NewGeneration in Courchevel.

What is unclear is if the French authorities have said this is Ok or if this is BASI setting up a couple of centres to see what the French reaction is and give them a case to take to the European court if the French are against this. Perhaps you can comment Beanie1?
snow report
Beanie, Thanks for that

Quote:

Why haven't you done your L2 yet anyway?!

I was set up for it, but had a set back start of this season when Stu was hurt in avalanche, also too much work not enough time.....
Excusses I know Embarassed

Must try harder
ski holidays
Quote:

What is unclear is if the French authorities have said this is Ok or if this is BASI setting up a couple of centres to see what the French reaction is and give them a case to take to the European court if the French are against this. Perhaps you can comment Beanie1?

snowrider, Training Centres are a new avenue for BASI. However, there are no laws that prevent BASI from establishing training centres.
ski holidays
beanie1, Will the new generation manuals feature an Index? (please say yes) Toofy Grin
latest report
The word is: it will have an index.

Smile
snow report
kevindonkleywood, I haven't heard, but will check if what altis, has heard is correct!
snow report
And it will be A5 in size and both manuals will be in one...

..according to the (nearly) highest authority.
snow conditions
yea they will both be in one but I believe from the editor they are behind schedule on producing it therefore not sure it will be out this side of Xmas at the rate they are going. They are going to condensce it down in size too. Idea of it being A5 in size is that it is more 'handy'.
snow report
Do you know if there will be an isia refresher in the UK this year ? they don''t seem to be listed on the site as far as I can tell.
snow conditions
david@mediacopy, you just missed one at hemel last weekend... the word i got was that the new 2 day refresher that is good for 3 years will be a few months at least and any old 1 day refresher will do.
ski holidays
If anyone's heading to Braehead from Edinburgh area for the refresher on Sunday, and interested in sharing a lift, then please PM me.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
david@mediacopy, as skimottaret says, until the ISIA refreshers are available the 1 day refresher will do.
latest report
beanie1, Do you know if the Scott member deals have gone for good? Or will they be making a return ?
ski holidays
Jamesc, defo coming back v soon i was the markerting director last week and got it from him
ski holidays
Ahh perfect! looking to get some kit before I head out for the season Smile
ski holidays
beanie1, ta Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Jamesc, defo coming back v soon i was the markerting director last week and got it from him

Thanks, skimottaret!
snow conditions
anyone know why I cant pay for my L2 course through the basi website?

I get this message

This transaction attempt has failed. Please use the Proceed button go back to the web store from which you were purchasing. The details of the failure are given below.

Status Detail: 3114 : The BillingCity field is required.

Possibly the website knows how good I am and doesnt want me to waste my money. I paid the deposit ages ago, just cant do the balance. Puzzled
ski holidays
Id say the error message its giving you might be somewhat of a clue...

"Status Detail: 3114 : The BillingCity field is required. "

Id check that all your info is correct and you have something entered for the City field - If not id call the office and im sure they'll do it over the phone.
ski holidays
I havent entered anything, just clicked pay now, I'm not that dumb, I hope.
latest report
stab, technical web questions are a bit beyond me I'm afraid! If you haven't already done so I suggest you call the office as they might need to get tech help. I've also alerted them to the issue.
snow report
stab, I broke it trying to pay too. I think they took the money though wink
ski holidays
turns out my membership details were filled out a bit wrong, where I live has an address line missing and that fuxored the pay part. Now I have to pay Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy