Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Dillema

Poster: A snowHead
I have had my Nordica Speedmachine 8 boots just less than a year now and whilst the fit was initially good it has deterioated a great deal recently and as the liners have seemingly packed out a good deal. The boots are now causing me a great deal of discomfort and horrible pins and needles in the ball of my foot once i take them off, probably as a result of the much tighter buckles that are now required to stop my heel lifting.

I did take them back to a 'well known chain' in Gateshead where i originally bought them hoping that they may at least have some usefull advice other than my own 'maybe i need new liners' but they were not particularly helpfull. Sad

To be fair I have about 90hrs on snow and over 200hrs on plastic on these boots so was accepting that they have had a fair wear.

Should I?

1) Man up and enjoy the pain?

2) Accept that I need to make the 700mile round trip to Bicester?

3) Buy some zipfits and DIY them and if so which ones and what size?

4) Buy a new boot that is more freestyle oriented.

Just in case some kindly boot guru's happen along Toofy Grin My current boots are 29H and my feet are Left 29.5 and right 29. with a narrow forfoot and med mid foot and a med/wide heel I have very low arches and heavily overpronate. To try and counter this i have the orange superfeet insoles.

One other issue I have is that despite my best efforts to keep a hip width stance i am invariably left with a annoying little bit of inner edge on my left ski is it fair to blame the boots as its easier than sorting out my skiing rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i'd go to another ski shop that know what they're talking about.

I'm no where near an expert in this, but i'd suggest you were sold the wrong boots and that you need either new ones, or at least new liners.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevindonkleywood, if you can manage getting from Newcastle to Bicester I would contact CEM and book an appointment - and bring your present boots. One of the best there is. He'll sell you new boots if you need them - but if you don't he'll do what's needed with your present kit. Dead honest - won't sell you what's not right for you.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevindonkleywood, I've been through this dilemma and in the end I just couldn't find the time to see Colin. It does feel like it's that, or a well-recommended in resort fitter. I gambled on the latter, and it paid off. The season's pretty far off, you're not down south at all before winter?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kevindonkleywood, the bootfitter at LD Mountain centre is meant to be very good. I haven't used him myself, but a few others on here have.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would first carry out a shell-fit test (see below) - if the shell doesn't fit you could end up throwing good money afer bad every year.

Quote:
Try a shell-fit. The first thing that should happen when you're trying on a ski boot is a shell-fit. To do this, take the liner out of the shell (often more difficult than it looks) and slide your foot (with a thin sock) into the plastic shell only. With the boot on the floor, slowly slide you foot forward until you are just touching the end of the boot with your toes. With your foot in this position reach your hand behind your heel to the space between your foot and the back of the boot; you should have no more than two fingers (about 1 ¼ inches) of space there. Any more than this and the boot will actually be too big for you.
Here is where an experienced fitter can help you because if you ski more than 40 or 50 days a year, you probably want to go smaller than a two-finger or “comfort fit” into a one-finger or “performance fit.”

There must be some good bootfitters that far up north. You can't beat a good bootfitter be it trip in the UK or a resort-fitter. If you do opt for the well-reccomended resort based fitter then visit him/her early during your holiday so that they can modify the boot to suit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is anyone able to recommend a good fitter in the North East of England? I'm in Newcastle a couple of times of year so would be very interested - I can't believe CEM is the only man in britain who can fit boots!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Friends of mine who live in Yorkshire have been very pleased with boots fitted in this place http://www.bac-e.com/ but I can't vouch for it personally.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I must admit i was thinking of going to Anything Technical in Kendal, anyone used them?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
before, driving here, there or anywhere, try the shell check as described above, (the sizes are a bit off, i would look for betweem 10-20mm if you want performance and for a holiday 1 week cappacino fit then up to 25mm but this is pretty generous, the above post mentions 1 1/4 inches and fingers which is a bit vague) this should be the first clue as to whether the boot is correct for you, from your foot description it could well be that the shape is good and the shell is just a size big (most boots are oversized to give that "ooooo these are comfortable" feel) if the shell is a good size then changing the liner may be an option, it doesn't work all the time

that said, the amount of skiing you have done is not really the life of the boot, possibly 1/2 of it or maybe just slightly more.

there is no point putting a zip fit liner or similar into an oversize shell as it will be great for the first few weeks then just pack down to a similar fit as you have now, same applies with foam and there are plenty of places where they will happily fill the shells you have up with expanding PU foam

as for fitters in the north, Graham at Rivington Alpine is a good bet, not got experience of any work from the others mentioned although i do know them all
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advice, The shell fit was quite interesting, the smallest gap was 25mm and the larger one is over 30mm (probably closer to 35mm), so I guess even a limited amount of packing out will have my foot flopping about.

I did ask for a fit to ihelp me mprove technically and not just a comfort fit, I guess they just wanted to get me out the door with a 'comfy' boot.

Lesson learned Sad

And just for anyone interested it was Si and David at Snow and Rock in Gateshead who 'fitted' me up
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Opps should read what I pick up off the internet and post. Thought it said 1 1/4 fingers not inches. rolling eyes I normally go for around 20mm shell fit (1 1/4 fingers) on my allround skiing boots (includes ski touring). For racing boots / alpine performance I would go for even less.

kevindonkleywood, If it's any consolation I and a few (million) other people have been in the same position. At least this time you are likely to get it properly sorted and the fit / performance will likely be better than ever.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i had a similar issue with boots from the same shop, i went back a couple of times and they agreed to change them. With the shell check the originals were about 22 mm the new ones 12 mm which certainly felt snug but felt very good after about 3 days skiing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have to say, major fit issues aside, the Speedmachine is the best shape, functioning boot on the market. Easy to work with, modify, use, great performance and quality. Sad to see that Nordica will do away with it, 2011/12.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
funny you should say that
Quote:
kevindonkleywood
, I have exactly the same issue after what i thought was a good fit at Blues in Edinburgh and after 4 n half weeks they are sooo sloppy i have to crank them up to the last hook, they are also SM8 - is this a general problem or are SM8s particularly bad for the liner packing down. Im a bit confused by the fingers thing, and i have very skinny fingers but when toe just touching front i can get 2 n a half fingers side on betw heel and shell - sounds bit more than you
Quote:
sledger
. I phones and they said they would "take a look" not exactly sure what they meant by that, but with a 150 miler each way i hope there is something they can do. First boots so i just did what i was told by the boot fitter - fingers crossed!
ski holidays
reading this reminds me that, yet again, I have forgotten to wear my ski boots with their new zipfits for a couple of hours.... and now it's time for bed.
ski holidays
bitoffluff, the only real difference between 8/10/12/14 is liner, some plastics and buckles. The boot would be the same pretty much in version 12 only with a liner that actually does stay put. We only do 12, fixtures and fittings mean the value is fair. This is standard throughout all boots, all brands. Always go for a top numbered, middle entry boot, you get proper buckles, proper plastic and a proper liner. It has nothing to do with ability, as the marketing might suggest. Now I must go, the lump on my head from banging it against the same screen for years is again starting to hurt.
ski holidays
CEM, on shell fit how do you guys tend to determine which last to go with when measuring width? is is similar to length and just add x mm's or is it more of a mark one human eye ball job?
latest report
skimottaret,overall shape is most important, heel width and instep height are my first "eyeball." width is the simplest thing to change stretch, so never really figures after the the purchasing has been done.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, thought that may be the case, i am quite narrow and have developed bone spurs in the heels hopefully my next pair will help with that. seeing col on sat to get my new shiny atomics fit, fingers crossed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy