Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Milton Keynes or Hemel Hempstead, which is best?

Poster: A snowHead
Been to MK but not Hemel and fancy a half day soon. Which do people think is best based purely on the on slope experience, that is length and variety of slope, quality of snow, queues, lift speed etc.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
HH has better snow because it's built on a natural hill, rather than above shops. This enables it to have a greater snowdepth. MK is, I think limited by the amount of weight the slope can support. MK is also a bit tired looking. HH is new and shiny. Free parking at HH as well. Does MK have pillars in the middle of the main slope, ( I can't remember), HH doesn't.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ill give an honest review since I teach at HH... this is based on the feedback I hear from people on a daily basis - honest.

1) the staff are more friendly and more knowledgeable - HH was built by skiers for skiers so that helps
2) the snow quality is better ALTHOUGH it can get more chewed up because it is popular
3) lift queues are not important at this time of the year - you rarely have more than a 1 min wait for a lift and we have two lifts in case one gets clogged up with beginners or whatever learning the ropes.

Hey its fun wherever you go and that's all that matters!

Steve.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys. As Hemel is nearer these were the answers I was hoping for. Is it quiet now even though its school hols?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yea Friday is a busy day when all the freestyle stuff is out but daytimes weekdays are always the quietest. No school hol programs this week though so its fairly mellow!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
MK does have pillars but IIRC the slope is wider but this is often offset by large areas of the MK slope being roped off for sledging and other activities, as well as freestyle furniture left around the parts of the slope (there are frequent complaints about these). Staff at HH are generally far more helpful and, as mentioned above, the slope is run for skiers/boarders by skiers/boarders rather than as an 'attraction' tacked on to a shopping mall. HH gets far better feedback than MK although I'm sure some people may like MK just as much. HH is newer too and parking is free as are the lockers (you get your money back) and these factors alone can save you quite a bit of money.

Personally I'd choose HH every time but ultimately it's down to what you're after, if you want to spend (lots of) money at a leisure attraction with shopping where the slope is an added attraction then MK is okay. If you want a snowsport centre that's primary purpose is to provide a great snowsports experience and is striving to be as excellent as possible by making it's core product (snowsports) it's primary focus then HH is the one to go for.

It was quiet Monday afternoon (2pm to 6pm) when I was there, got a bit busier at around 5PM with some kids activities going on but the main slope was fine as these were going on on the nursery slope.

Oh and HH is doing 2 hours for the price of 1 Monday to Thursday at the moment ... Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've only been to Hamel in the evening and the snow wasn't good. Lots of bumps, chopped etc.
Next time I would def go in the morning.
MK was always good first thing in the morning so I assume Hamel could be even better.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tom W wrote:
I've only been to Hamel in the evening and the snow wasn't good. Lots of bumps, chopped etc.
Next time I would def go in the morning.

Depends what you are looking for. I would say that chopped up bumpy snow is 'good', it would get really boring really quickly if the snow remained perfect corduroy. Surely the changing conditions of a 'natural' skiing surface is one of great advantages of indoor slopes over matting.

I accept that for an absolute or near beginner a smooth even slope would be 'better', but HH seem to keep the learner slope in pretty good nick for this purpose.

Edit, spelling
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Did anybody else think this thread was about the merits of the two towns ?

On that basis MK - though I would not particularly want to live there.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spud9, I don't like "perfect corduroy" but that time it was extremely bumpy. No joy on such short slope.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
loatie, the snow at HH is much better - snow making technology had moved on by the time CFe and HH were built.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As beanie1 points out, the newer the better with such things as technology moves on and people learn from the past.

While the OP was only concerned about the snow experience, in general terms MK is beginning to look a little shabby whereas HH still has the "new" feel about it with things still being shiny and clean.

And Latchico, surely if it was about the merits of the two towns rather than their ski slopes it wouldn't be in The Piste zone? rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tiger2, if it were about the merits of the two towns, it wouldn't exist! wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I live near HH, so know it quite well. Beyond the ski slope I can't think of anything good to say about it.......err......

It's got some nice countryside nearby.......

It had an oil depot that became famous.....

That's it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spud9, It has lots of roads leading away from it wink
snow report
Quite happy in the choppy snow and the 2 for 1 offer at HH at the moment definitely swings it. Thanks for everyones help
snow conditions
Personally I prefer MK, having been to both a few times. On both occasions I went to Hemel (in the evening) the snow was "choppy" with a defined gulley down the slope which I personally didn't like much. I like the wide slope at MK, although it's usually only wider at the top as people have said the bottom sections are often cordoned off for sledging etc.

That said HH is still very shiny and the bar area is really nice, with a balcony over looking the slope!
latest report
I agree with most of these plus points for HH, but the MK slope is a bit longer (20yds ?) and a bit steeper.
snow report
snowball, MK isn't steeper than HH. Figures are: MK 15 deg top, 10 deg bottom. HH 15 deg top, 12 deg middle, 10 deg bottom. Skiable length for MK and HH is pretty much the same.
ski holidays
Spyderman, it's funny cos I would have agreed with snowball so it must be how it feels...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy