Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski season in Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've got my heart set on a ski season this upcoming winter as it's my gap year and so I'm trying to get all of this youthful flights of fancy out of my system. Originally I'd set myself up for somewhere in France as that appears to be where the vast majority of British TOs (and thus seasonnaires) are based.

However I've now begun looking at the Swiss resorts as I speak basic German in addition to my French and thought it would be useful to use this season as an excuse to build up my proficiency in both languages. Aside from that, as a keen photographer I am very excited by the prospect of seeing the Matterhorn and some of the spectacular scenery around Verbier or Zermatt (my top choices).

At the minute, I am compiling a list of hotels and bars to which I will apply. However, I've been searching these forums and those over at Natives for wisdom on the Swiss resorts and there appears to be a school of thought that Verbier isn't appropriate for beginners and that it may be too 'uninteresting' to keep someone's attention for an entire season.

Part of my interest in going to Switzerland is that my brother lives in Zurich and it is a nation with which I am already (albeit to a limited extent) familiar with. I didn't know whether my brother residing within a 4-hour drive of the resorts would quell any employer's concerns regarding homesickness - am I thinking too outside-the-box here?

What resort would people recommend for a working season?

Any other tips for applying for jobs in Swiss resorts? They don't appear as forthcoming as their French counterparts!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Astraeus, I think you may have left it a bit late for this season with tour ops, but they're better placed over on Natives to confirm that for you.

At the moment it can be very hard to get jobs in ski resorts - with so many city types taking career breaks there are lots of applicants.

Personally I think Verbier would be fantastic for a season! But it would maybe depend on your level - if you're a beginner or intermediate and don't ski off piste, then perhaps less so. I wouldn't narrow your search to specific resorts however - apply absolutely everywhere, then make your decision when you get offers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Astraeus, If you are applying directly to hotels and bars, you will need to read up on getting a short term Work Permit. If you find a job over here with a UK holiday company that places you in Switzerland, they will deal with the Permits. Don't be tempted to start work without the right paperwork.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Astraeus, plenty to entertain you in verbier for a season Very Happy Sure it's not THE best resort for beginners but presumably one of the points of doing a season is that you're looking to improve rapidly? there's always somthing harder,steeper,narrower to aspire to.......

it'll be fairly tough to just rock up and look for a job in a bar or hotel as there's plenty of applicants for each post, whichever resort you choose. try googling around for some of the smaller operators to try.

good luck, and come say hi if you do end up in verbier. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Verbier would be brilliant for a season if you could get a job there (not perhaps the best place for a beginner on a weeks holiday learning to ski but for the whole season would be as good as anywhere else). Natives should be good for the general 'how to get a ski job' advice with regards to timing/method etc but sometimes you might not have a choice where you go with a big Tour Operator
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Definitely not too late for this season. It all goes quiet for August but a lot of ads will reappear when we hit September. However ... the jobs market is tough. If you have a skill or experience to offer great. If not you may struggle.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Natives is the site to ask all those questions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not too late for the TO`s but do it NOW NOW NOW.Not many will let you pick where you go but Skiworld do.Research only Swiss companies and apply for them NOW.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At the risk of being hounded, what kind of work are you looking for, and whats your work life balance outlook.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sorry to be rude but I completely forgot about this thread in my hunt for jobs!

I applied to about six TOs and got rejections from all of them save Mark Warner who placed me on a shortlist and told me to contact them in 4 weeks. I did, and received nothing back.

nixmap, ideally I'd be looking at driving work or bar work but I'm so keen to get out there that I'll take just about anything. I'm a sucker for work (work full-time in England just to keep me busy!) so a couple of days off a week for skiing would suit me fine. If I was driving, would appreciate another day or two off. I'll be learning to ski whilst I'm out there so enough time to get me some lessons would be ideal!

I've been on Natives and they're helpful but, even with their help, there doesn't seem to be anything forthcoming.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here is a link for jobs in the Jungfrau region. I don't know if this is of any interest to you but it might be worth a look, http://www.myjungfrau.ch/de.cfm/infos_services/offer-InfosJRM-JobsImmobilien-335250.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I've got my heart set on a ski season this upcoming winter as it's my gap year

Stop applying for driving jobs (assuming by 'gap year' you mean you've just left school) - slim chance you'll get one under 21 or more likely 25 (insurance etc). Bar work likewise - it's popular so it tends to go to returners and older staff.

I'd do the rounds of TOs again and apply for KP, hotel staff, chalet assistant, other such dogsbody roles. If your French is decent there are pages of seasonal jobs on www.pole-emploi.fr and upcoming job fairs in Albertville and Chamonix. Natives also runs a job fair in London, probably this weekend (usually coincides with the ski show).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

I've got my heart set on a ski season this upcoming winter as it's my gap year

Stop applying for driving jobs (assuming by 'gap year' you mean you've just left school) - slim chance you'll get one under 21 or more likely 25 (insurance etc). Bar work likewise - it's popular so it tends to go to returners and older staff.

I'd do the rounds of TOs again and apply for KP, hotel staff, chalet assistant, other such dogsbody roles. If your French is decent there are pages of seasonal jobs on www.pole-emploi.fr and upcoming job fairs in Albertville and Chamonix. Natives also runs a job fair in London, probably this weekend (usually coincides with the ski show).

Thank you, some helpful advice. I'll check out the website but I'm not able to attend the Natives job fair owing to work commitments. With hotel experience, I suppose I'm in decent standing...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy