Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva (Sella Ronda) "OR" Madonna Di Campiglio (Brenta Dolomites) ??

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some feedback.

For 2012, have been offered a few hotels in both Selva (Sella Ronda) and Madonna Di Campiglio (Brenta Dolomites).

For logistics reasons I think I’ll only take one extra resort in addition to F. Both areas have logistic advantages and disadvantages. The cost of running tours in both areas is approx the same. I have skied extensively in both areas and I know that I’m biased (?) so thought I'd ask around.

So assuming a fully inclusive cost of about £590 PP (flight, lift pass, 3* hotel near piste, transfers, equipment, etc) which area would you go to.

Yeah I know that you can DIY and save money by stopping at the YHA in Moscow or Reykjavik then hitch hike over every morning, but as I said the selling price would be about the same, so it’s just about which resort in preferable.

Not trying to flog anything here BTW as may decide to take niether.

Any ideas
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Selva for me every time. And that's despite having had one of the best ski days of my life in Madonna di Campiglio. But I think the ski area is too disjointed. I can deal with that for Chamonix given what it has to offer, but normally I would not go to Madonna for a week.

But as a rule I would avoid Selva at half term and New Year, the queues are pretty long (even longer than in other places, I felt). Of course I DIY-ed, staying in Santa Cristina and driving the car to where queues were shorter wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wayne, I skied one day in Madonna back in 2006 when I was staying in Passo Tonale. I really enjoyed skiing there and have been looking at possibilities for going back there for a full week ever since. I've been put off by the usual TO suspects due to price and flights only from Gatwick and Manchester. At that price, it's certainly within my remit if the single room supplement isn't excessive.

Having said all that, I haven't yet skied Sella Ronda and I would love to some day. Again, the same flight restrictions are the offputting bit.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah come on Wayne, ! Nice touch but list the hotel you are thinking of taking in Selva and then let us decide if you are cheaper! After all it could be the Crown hotel next to the two main lifts or it could be down the valley towards Moscow!!! wink If it were the Crown I would book with you, if it is near Moscow, convenience and the DIY trip would be the winner!

In relation to your question, my vote would be for Selva!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
horizon wrote:
Of course I DIY-ed

Shame on you Toofy Grin

queen bodecia wrote:
the same flight restrictions are the offputting bit.

I understand what you mean, but if you think about it from an airline's point of view, running flight from Newcastle or Southampton or Beflast to say Verona or Rimini is never going to be a good earner.
Oh and me and Mrs W are off on summer hols soon and we have to fly from Gatwick, so it bugs me as well. We can't the major airlines fly from Wigan International.

Roy Hockley wrote:
list the hotel you are thinking of taking in Selva and then let us decide if you are cheaper!

I didn't say I was cheaper ? only mentioned the approx price to show that both resorts will cost about the same, so any preference you may have wouldn't be based on cost, just asking which resort you prefer.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have skied both and loved them, but Selva has the edge.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Easy, Selva
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wayne, Sorry I used the the wrong word "cheaper" (it is a bank holiday over here and I had a late night), I meant value Embarassed Embarassed Value does not always equate to cheap!

Selva would be my favourite out of the choice by far!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Roy Hockley,
Hmmmmmmmmmm, you sound suspiciously like a DIY'er to me
You have to come round to the dark side one day Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wayne, I understand that but I always restrict my outbound airport to a 2 hour drive. Anything further is a level of cost and inconvenience I don't want to consider. This tends to be why I end up with TUI every year. They seem to have the best choice of regional departures.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wayne, There are Easyjet flights from Liverpool to Insbruck during the winter with a 2/2.5 hr transfer to the Sella Ronda resorts.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
riverman,
Flights are not really the issue.

I understand that snowHead's are not really representative of most people who go on ski holidays but it does give any insight in to "type" of resorts that people would choose if given a choice, being that sale cost from us is about the same.

When I say not representative, I mean that the vast majority of UK tourist are what could be described as lower intermediates. They may want to ski off piste, down bumps, through the trees, etc but in reality they are happier with a resort that suits their needs rather than aspirations. I assume that most people who join in with a ski forum have a higher than average skiing ability skills set than others, being that they are obviously quite interested in the sport, well enough to join in a ski forum anyway (hope that makes sense).

I know the TO's get a hard time on here sometimes, from mild comments up to having a Pandora dropped on us, but at the end of the day we "are" the ski market in the UK, even if a skewed forum input has it differently. Most, almost all if you want to look at it like that, people use TO's, basic fact. From our stand point, whilst we are not that financially reliant on our winter income (like many smaller TO's are) we still don't want to try and sell a product that won't sell. Skiing make up less than 5% of our group’s income. But on that point, it is growing as it was less than 3% only a year or so ago, so it may continue to grow. Hope so – I live therefore I snowplough.

Madonna has its plus points as does selva. My personal choice would be * wink * but that's not the point. So I was just interested in people’s views on two quite different ski areas/resorts, and baring in mind that some SH's are not really our target market, it's still good to get at least a few considered opinions.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wayne, You are partialy right. I tend to do far more DIY than TO's. The main reason is that I am based in Ireland and we are confined to either Inghams, Crystal, Topflight which are overpriced for on the whole poor accommodation. Or Highlife, an upmarket and expensive "independant TO". It is far easier to book flights at sensible times and contact hotels or chalet operators directly. Driving is not an issue and either we hire a car/mini bus or get local taxi operator to pick us up! The third option is use our own place, but when we go on a boys holiday we want something different every year!

I am open to an independant TO but as you can see from my location it can be difficult to "marry into" charter flights out of the UK!

Good luck with the venture, but do not take the organisation to Selva!!! The less people go there the better AFAIC!! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've not been to either but of what I know of them Selva would be my choice especially at that price. Isn't Madonna part of the same area as Folgarida anyway (ie you can ski between the 2)?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roy Hockley wrote:
Wayne, You are partialy right. I tend to do far more DIY than TO's. The main reason is that I am based in Ireland and we are confined to either Inghams, Crystal, Topflight which are overpriced for on the whole poor accommodation. Or Highlife, an upmarket and expensive "independant TO".

We have quite a few booking flying out of dublin. But I do understand about your cost point. We "have" to add on a flight supp of about £60, for the simple reason that flights from there cost more to buy in.

We have an office in belfast and one of the guys there travels with a company called McNeil ski and I think tey also run trips out of Dublin. They run lots of tours so you gould give them a call and see what they can do for you.
snow conditions
I know of Ski McNeil! €60 out of Dublin is OK but an additional €120 to get to Dublin!!

Will keep you in mind, if location is right if you go to that "terrible and ugly" resort!! wink Would be useful if you are looking at the southern market to put prices in € as well as £'s as a bone of contention in the "Paddy" market is that UK based operators use a special exchange rate!! wink That is why when dealing with the hotel/chalet owners directly in the €zone we feel we are not getting ripped off! After all everything with the exception of air fare everything else is paid for locally in €'s by the TO's. European accommodation, european transfer companies, ski schools, lift passes. If you look at SkiMcneils website they are quoting their prices in €'s, this is the way to go!
snow conditions
Wayne wrote:
Why can't the major airlines fly from Wigan International.

Pie in the Sky airlines. wink
latest report
Link changed

Site not up yet - will take a week or so to sort it.
Hotels sorted -
ski school sorted -
flights/transfers sorted -
gear/lift passes almost sorted,
can I be an honorary DIY’er now Madeye-Smiley

Toofy Grin Selva Val Gardena sto arrivando (ma non fino a l'anno prossimo) Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy