Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

10 Things You Didn't Know About Avalanches

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just watched this on iPlayer. It was shown earlier this evening on BBC4 and is well worth a watch.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 31-07-10 23:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes I watched it earlier on. Good program.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the heads up, was interesting. The footage of Galtür being engulfed by that enormous avalanche left my jaw on the floor - looked like something out of a Roland Emmerich movie Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for the heads up. i've just watched it too. WOW! though i'm not sure i could be one of the scientists stuck in a concrete bunker Shocked !!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in St Anton when Galtur was hit, we had a good 6 foot of snow in 24 hrs. It wasn't safe walking in the street!

A very good article on Montroc here http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Articles/Montroc-Avalanche
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yup, that was pretty ballsy. Bet a few of them had to consider a change underwear after the door exploded!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jbob, I was was there too and living in St Jakob at the time. We were made to stay in doors for 3 days as they were worried about slides coming down at the far end of the village and between us and Nasserein. That was a crazy season for snowfall and some of the photos I have of our front garden after that storm show 3m+ of snow down at that level. Still, no sooner had the lifts opened after that storm, the ski bums were out tracking the powder and ignoring the heightened avalanche risks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geepee, thanks for the pointer - just downloaded it and watched it. Scary when the guy blasting pulled the bit of dynamite back that hadn't gone off Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jonm, Yes, I liked that bit. I also didn't realise that they had used avalanches as a weapon in the war and as for those glacial avalanches, It's hard to comprehend. Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008vrwk
(you didn't give a link)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

geepee, thanks for the pointer - just downloaded it and watched it. Scary when the guy blasting pulled the bit of dynamite back that hadn't gone off

I was surprised by that. Coming from a non-explosive using background, my preferred option would have been to chuck more explosive at the first charge. Once you've lit it and thrown it away I can't see why you would want to see it again. I presume there is some reason why they don't do this.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some kid finding it in the spring?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has this been on before or is it an all new programme?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing, I thought it was a new program, but I've seen some of the footage before. I particularly remember seeing the rock avalanche scenes before.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy