Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowfall Totals

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=b01&featureid=851

Quote:
Special mention should also be made of the snow in Scotland this winter [and thanks to forum-poster mackley for the reminder: Ed]. Nobody we talked to at Cairngorm Mountain could remember having seen anything like the 7.5m it had on its 1100m summit this year - pretty impressive, even by Alpine standards. Not only was it snowy, it was cold, the coldest in these parts since 1963, which meant Caingorm could offer skiing and boarding for 147 days this season - more than in Courchevel! Play was finally halted on midsummer's day, when a hardcore of 60 enthusiasts enjoyed one last slide high in Ptarmigan bowl.

Cairngorm Mountain, 2010. It was snowiest season in the Scottish resorts anyone can remember. Picture: Cairngorm Mountain.

According to welove2ski.com Cairngorms was one of the snowiest places in the world last season. Cool article Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting, so Whistler had more snow pre-season in November than the Tarentaise managed all year (except La Rosiere which I assume had the usual 20+ m of perfect blower)?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob, La Ros could get 20m of perfect blower overnight but it would still turn to mush if there was a hint of sunlight the next day Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Niseko Resort Area, Hokkaido, Japan

15.8 m in the village (300m asl)

Considerably more at the peak 1,000 m higher Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LOL, love everyone immediately ignoring the fact arv's post was about Scotland and all banging on about other parts of the world - as they say in the Tarentaise "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose " Wink rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
roga, Actually his original post had a bigger excerpt covering everywhere which was then edited NehNeh
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
roga, I originally had the whole article quoted in here but removed it because it took up far too much space Laughing

Mike Pow, Shocked wow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Those snow fall figures are best taken with pinch of salt...
As there aren't any scientific standards for measuring snow depth over a season.

For example a test site situated on a sheltered hollow will accumulate more snow than a windy ridge line.
Other factors include aspect, altitude, exposure to the sun and snow density.
So making direct comparisons between resort figures is tricky.
Plus the North American figures are usually written by marketing departments.

The Cairngorm figure is a good example - as most snow in Scotland arrives on a strong wind.
Some parts of the mountain will probably have been under 15/20m+ of snow (i,e the ciste gully).
Will other areas such as the fiaciall ridge will have had much much less than the 7m quoted.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, well I managed to mention the Tarentaise as well just to keep you happy Wink NehNeh

arv, I'll bet it took up a lot of space but at least you've kept the most important bit Wink

Haggis_Trap, very good points but it should also be remembered that one of the unique (certainly in my experience) features over significant parts of the season was the lack of wind, Xmas/New Year comes to mind, which meant that the snow just plastered everything for a while and parts of the mountain were skiable that nobody could remember sliding on ... the conditions at times were full on Alpine to be honest ... and there was a hell of a lot of snow, at one point the only thing I could compare the amount falling to was North America (observing it whilst waiting at Glenmore one morning there was a measurable 2+ inches build up on my car mirror in around 40/45 minutes) and I was as gobsmacked as anyone else I have to admit! You are right though about the drifting, one of the reasons for the first, and subsequent, 'big digs' which redistributed the snow to a massive extent - the blooming gunbarrel was flat most of the season as a result! Shocked Historically though, as I know you know Toofy Grin , Scottish skiing takes place on drifted snow so comparing snow depth figures is very difficult as you say.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good article.

The Jet Stream sat over southern, not northern, Europe for most of the Winter.

That kept Scotland colder, snowier and stiller.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
roga wrote:
LOL, love everyone immediately ignoring the fact arv's post was about Scotland and all banging on about other parts of the world - as they say in the Tarentaise "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose " Wink rolling eyes Laughing

I included the Niseko info in the spirit of completeness. Welove2ski have obviously not heard of Japan Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy