Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Club Med, Aime La Plagne, 6 year old, advice please.

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for general advice and opinion on the Club Med 'all inclusive' deal at Aime La Plagne I've booked for myself and my daughter, who will be 6 when we go (first week in Feb).

I'm an experienced skier, my daughter has never skied. We are going with another family who have girls who will be 5 and 7 at the time. the other family skied for the first time last year.

The 'all inclusive' deal includes ski school.

My specific questions are-

1. Any reports/feedback on how the ski school works with Club Med? Do they arrange special classes for the Club Med residents or do you get sent off to the local ski school with a voucher or something.
2. What are the class sizes likely to be like for the kids?
3. Will instruction be in English, or will the kids be expected to muddle through with a French instructor throwing in the odd English comment?
4. I've done about 25 weeks skiing over the last 20 years. I can get down anything, but not with much style. I'm all over the place in bumps. Am I likely to get much out of a week in the default ski school or should I think about making other arrangements.
5. Generally, how have people found Club Med sking holidays?
6. I live near the HH snowdome. Would it be a good idea to get my daughter a few hours practise there?

All comments welcome.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spud9, have no experience with Club Med but as regards Point 6 - yes that will be a great benefit.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spud9, Not stayed with club med but have stayed in La Plagne a lot.

1. They seem to use ESF ski school, but the Club Med children are all kept together - and wear Club Med bibs. I'd guess the instructor would come to the hotel.
2. Depends on the time of year, I'm guessing it's not school hol time when you go so there aren't so many kids about so the groups tend to be small. We always go with ESF and the groups could probably reach about 15 or we've had just 2 in a group out of school hol times.
3. We ask for English lessons with ESF, always had a French istructors who speak English, to varying degrees, never really been an issue.
4. not sure
5. Sorry, not done it...think it can get pretty lively as the booze is free
6. I'd take your daughter a few times, it'll build her confidence up for when she gets to France. You'll also benefit in realising how hard it is to get them kitted out lol doing up two pairs of ski boots, carrying two pairs of skis, putting kids ski gloves on etc lol not sure about the five year old but the 6 and 7 year old should be able to get in the same group together if you get your daughter used to skiing in the snowdome. The five year old might be allowed in aswell - depends what her standard is...did they use ESF last year? If so what badge did they get? Would be nice if they could all ski together.

As for general tips for with kids. I put a couple of mini choc bars in my daughters' pockets each morning - that'll get them thinking positive about skiing and they do need a little sugar boost. Make sure you get her really good gloves. Make sure she has a wee just before you leave the hotel.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spud9,

I have done Club Med and may be able to answer some of your questions - however, I haven't been to the one in La Plagne so won't be able to comment on that specific resort

1) Generally you will take your child to the "kids club" where they have assisants etc. They will then help them to the ESF ski school for Club Med. This often meets right outside the hotel.

2) Shimmy has the sizes about right - can vary a lot

3) A friend's child, in other resort, had good english speaking instructors outside of the UK half term BUT . .

4) I'm pretty much the same as you - I'd recommend going to ski-school for at least the first few days to assess it, meet other people etc. You can always opt out later. At this sort of level it's tended to be ski-guiding with some teaching thrown in. Amount depends on the group more than anything. You are likely to be in an English "speaking" group ie Brit/Israeli/Dutch ski-iers

5) People tend to either love them or hate them. It really is all inclusive - including all booze - unless you want a premium whisky (single malt type) or Champagne. A couple of years ago all I spent extra was 2Euros to get into the Ice Sculptor's at the resort. The food tends to be excellent and I normally put on several pounds during the holiday. There are a LOT of French at them and not necessarily too many brits.

6) Can't comment as no kids.

Anything else you want to know - drop me a PM

Skitrack
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Along the lines of what Shimmy Alcott, said, I'd recommend that the most useful thing that you can do is encourage your daughter to be excited about the skiing. Even if it's only by putting some ski boots on in the house, or talking about building snowmen, kids that are enthusiastic learn much better than ones who aren't.

Club med in la Plagne work with ESF. They usually have pretty big groups, but are restricted to club med only so hopefully the children she skis with, will be the friends she makes in the hotel too.

La Plagne is great for beginners and I'm sure she'll have a good time.

Enjoy the holiday!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Spud9, we have stayed with Club Med in Chamonix (Feb Half term 2009) and Club Med in Serre Chevalier (Feb Half term 2010)

1. As Shimmy Alcott, says, they use the local ESF instructors but you only ski with fellow Club Med folk. You meet at a central meeting place, normally right outside the hotel.
2. Depends on the level and time of year but for new kid skiers the class size seems to be around 12-15.
3. The instructors have varying degrees of English ability. I think this is resort dependent. The kids, in the main, don't seem to have a problem when they are learning as they teach mainly by imitation. (This naturally also depends on how gregarious your kids are)
4. Sounds like you are around a level 3b in the Club Med levels. I went in Group/Level 4 and then you generally go straight off piste with transceivers etc (conditions dependent). There were 9 of us in this group this last February and I was the only native English speaker. No problem as they were all great people and after I bumbled my way through my whole French vocabulary they opened up and spoke some English. In the level 3 groups and below there were a number of native English speakers.
5 We have found them great which is why we are going back again next February half term.
6. Yes - to get your daughter used to the snow and equipment and the instructors are generally very good at HH.

TG
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
She should have great fun. Might be worth teaching her some basic French - especially "Bonjour, "merci" and "je parle pas francais". We taught my grand-daughter (same age) a few words and she really enjoyed using them - her ski instructor was good at being impressed!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you for all the helpful replies.

I'm pleased to hear that the Club Med kids all have lessons together, it means she can see her ski school friends in the evening.

All the rest seems pretty good. I'll get her a few hours tuition at HH.

To be honest this is very far from my normal type of ski holiday, but this is all about my daughter. If she enjoys it I'll be happy. Any decent sking I get in will be a bonus.

What's the food like at Club Med? I imagine it must be pretty reasonable because it's a French company and has (I guess) a majority of French guests.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spud9, I'd echo what pam w says and get your daughter used to the idea that she will be with a french teacher and french kids, if you can get her saying a few words so much the better. Club Med is very french and the week you are going is in french school holidays so I would expect the vast majority of her class mates to be french speaking.

In your position I would get her up to 'recreational standard' at HH, they must have a kids scheme there, that way with a bit of luck she will be in the same class as your friends' kids who have done one week before, then at least they will have each other to talk to. Also get her used to the gear and make sure she can carry her own skis, having watched the Club Med kids in Les Deux Alpes last year they do have to 'get on with it' no mollycoddling like with the english tour operators Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spud9,

As I said tends to be excellent - although to be honest it can be a bit overwhelming and by the end of the holiday you just want a pie and chips. Kids food has pizza, spag/pasta & various sauces - not that there is anything stopping them eating big peoples food or vice-versa Toofy Grin

Example for an evening meal there is always:-

The Kids stuff
A Special – See below
Starters – Tends to be cold salady type things to which you help your self
Soup
Two items being cooked fresh by the chefs – dependant on the theme – See below
Two or more help yourself main courses (Lots more in some cases – depends on the size of the resort).
Puds/cakes
Ice-cream (aimed for kiddies but available to adults – some of the sorbets are excellent)
Cheese and breads – very French and scummy

Every night has a theme – so you might have Italian, seafood, Foods of the World or Tasters. The Special is often related to the theme, so you might have Carpaccio of Beef on World foods or Lobster on Seafood night. The Chefs will also be cooking food fresh – so that might be whole trout on Seafood Night. I’m sure you get the idea.

Red/White or pink wine available as wanted. Tap water on table. Larger, coke, fruit juice in the machines somewhere in the restaurant. Coffee and brandies from the bar after.

My favourites themes are Seafood night (lobster, King Prawns, Crevettes, whole fish, fish stews etc etc) and a taster night we had in Peissey-Vallandry where they filled shot glasses with various wonderful things – You just went and picked up a few glasses and then the conversation went “you must try the green and pink stripped one, it avocado and prawns” or “Try a bit of this one, it’s great” – with of course the occasional opposite one where you found a glass with blue cheese which you hate!

Whatever else – you are unlikely to be hungry.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skitrack, food sounds amazing, I might have to have a serious look at Club Med Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the info about the food skitrack, it doesn't sound as though we're going to go hungry!. I know what you mean though about just wanting pie and chips by the end of the holiday. I'm not sure my body can adjust to a week's worth of proper food, I'll be on the kiddy menu by the last night!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Food is seriously good! We're back to CM in Tignes in Feb for the 7th year running. It's Paris 1/2 term week though Sad which makes it (a) more expensive (they really don't like the Parisians!) and (b) busier
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spud9,

Sorry I know this is an old post but I saw it and as a newbie felt I could actually help.

I went with CM as a 8yr/9yr/14yr and now twice whilst in my 20s so can give you a little feed back. And I have booked CM for next March too.

Ski School is always separate from the rest of the ESF ski school with the meeting point always (well the ones I've stayed at) right outside the CM hotel. You just need to register the evening you arrive in what group you think you should go in. Don't worry if you get this wrong as you can move up/down very easily once the groups are initially sorted.

Other than American Ski Schools, Club Med has been the only Ski School I have enjoyed as a child. About 50% of the class could speak some English and the ones from International Schools were always fluent so I never felt out of place or not in the group as such. I'm sure your daughter will find someone to talk to as children tend to just get on with it. I think the class size are a max of 12 but I may be wrong. Instructors will quite often have Dutch, German, Italian, Russian, Isreali etc as well as French children so just end up talking English to speed it up as most can grasp this and other bits are just demonstrated.

For you I would give Ski School a go. If you don't like it you can give up but you have to go on the first day if you want to be in it at all. Once you've been graded on that first day and have a Instructor you can come and go as you please anyway. And as I said earlier you can move groups if agreed by your instructor. For adults the top groups are more like guides. As a warning the highest group (level 4 in CM French Resorts) is a off-piste non stop group so unless thats what you like you might be better in the level 3 group which does go off-piste but just not all the time.

All in all I've never had a bad CM hols. As long as you don't mind NOT being surrounded by the English and have a little patience for the slight language barrier (most GO can speak reasonable English if not fluent) then you'll be fine. The shows can be a little naff but I have to say as a child I liked them so your daughter will probably appreciate them more than you! lol.

The rooms tend to be small but then how much time do you spend in them, but the food is the best I've ever had in a Ski Resort. Mainly because you have so much choice you will never go hungry.

And finally my bro and dad went to CM Aime La Plagne last March and really liked it so hopefully you and the family will have a great time.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chelseafc,

Thanks for that feedback, I'm sure it's going to be great.

The posts on this thread have been really helpful. I've now got a much better picture of how things work.
latest report
davehk,

Which week are you going? Just booked CM Tignes for W/s 27/Feb

Skitrack
snow conditions
It sounds terrific. As a young teenager I learnt about Club Med places on gorgeous beaches where you paid for drinks with strings of cowrie shells round yer neck. Probably complete garbage but for several years I dreamt about doing that in Corsica, canoeing down wild white water rivers into a turquoise ocean. I've still never been to Corsica. Or done white water canoeing. Or paid for drinks with cowrie shells. Probably left it a bit late, now. Sad

It would be good to have more trip reports on CM holidays. A more expensive, family, version of UCPA, I suppose.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy