Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do helmets have a shelf life?

Poster: A snowHead
I've had my helmet for around 3 years or so now - never had an impact with it. Even so, I was wondering if there comes a point when it needs to be replaced regardless. (Notwithstanding the fickle finger of fashion).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ajpaul, we have never been told of a shelf life on helmets, however it would depend on what helmet it is and the construction type. Some of the older helmets may deteriorate over time and become brittle, but you would see this just by looking.

Most manufactures say replace after an major impact or if the outer shell is cracked or punctured or if the foam has started to come away from the outer plastic shell
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would say that helmets did have a shelf life but the manufactures would be the people to state what this is!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Motorcycle helmets certainly do. I don't know much about ski helmets but if they are made of similar materials I'd guess the same applies. For plastic/polycarbonate motorcycle helmets the recommendation is 3 years of weekly use, up to a maximum of 5 years of age and for fibreglass/composite motorcycle helmets it's 5 and 8 years respectively.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't know about helmets but helmet threads have an indefinite life
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Most plastic products have a shelf life. As a general rule, a climbing rope is usually replaced after 5 years even if you never take it out of it's wrapper and use it. Obviously if you use it every week, it will wear out faster.

Kersh
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To all intents and purposes ski helmets don't have a shelf life.
However, you should consider replacing if it has the slightest dent, especialy if it is a lightweight one.

The climbing equipment stuff is about UV degradation - nylon molecules gradualy come apart when exposed to prolonged UV radiation.
However modern plastics are a lot more stable, and recent research by the British Mountaineering Council has shown this to be much less of an issue than previously thought.

The 5 year rule may still apply for other reasons !
Modern helmets are a lot lighter and more comfortable.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Three to five years as UV degredation is massive at altitude. A bike helmet (althought worn more) lasts about the same time. It all depends on how much you value your head i guess
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If it's never had to save you when you've stacked, and structurally it looks fine... it's fine.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wrong oz, UV degredation is massive at altitude. It may look ok but................................................... Confused
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
UV degradation at altitude is massive.
However UV degradation does not affect everything, only specific polymer chain types.
Modern lightweight helmets are not affected by UV degradation, although the straps might be.
For example, your skis & boots are made of plastic, and are undergoing considerable continual forces, but they don't disintegrate.
It did used to be an issue with very old plastic ski boots that were used all season every season ... they became brittle, Scarpas were notorious ...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maersk, cobblers.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't know if they are made of similar plastics or not, but helmets for use in construction sites do have a 'replace by' code on them and IIRC that is usually around 3 years, but again that might assume constant daily use outside. On the other hand that might be to prevent litigation if someone gets hurt, things like horse riding hats don't have a date on, but in that industry the current standard updates so regularly that its easy to spot an old one and folks that compete must keep their's up to date at least.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It makes you wonder if the hire companies in the Alps have ever thought about a shelf life for helmets Shocked

There are also different standards that helmets are designed to, there is the CE and the ASTM, the ASTM US standard is higher than the CE standard, then there is another standard for racing as well. Most recreational helemts are not made to the race standard, but you can get them.

I have asked regarding life span, of ski helmets and will update when I get an answer
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I have asked regarding life span, of ski helmets and will update when I get an answer

It would appear not, Ski Helemts do not have a shelf life, however the advice would be to carefully inspect your helemt from time to time.
snow report
livetoski wrote:
Quote:

It would appear not, Ski Helemts do not have a shelf life, however the advice would be to carefully inspect your helemt from time to time.

Whose position is this? I'm somewhat surprised as, though it may not be a "shelf" life, I'd expect the glue bonding the outer shell to the deformable inner to degrade with sunlight & large temperature variation. I've certainly got a bit of an airbubble forming under part of my shell.

Had an old protec (not typical modern construction) that would completely deform with heat e.g. when left on backshelf of car. Got rid of that.
snow report
fatbob, The info was from one of my suppliers, the question was shelf life? not life span, probabley wrong of me Embarassed to say life span in other post

I would agree with you that any deformation in the helmet due to heat etc then maybe adviseable to think about replacing

The older Ski helmets, (not sure about protec) were made from a different plastic, the regs. standards changed in 2009 as well which probabley had an impact(pardon the pun) on helmet construction.

Quote:

e.g. when left on backshelf of car

The temp in cars gets very very hot and IMHO would not leave a helmet uncovered in a car in direct sunlight
ski holidays
Did not realise oz5000 was a Schumacher fan, soz. Cool
latest report
I have an old-ish Scott ski helmet with a 3-year life.
snow report
I did wonder whether there was a lifespan built into the codes themselves, i.e. to conform to a code does a helmet require a certain 'plastic life' stability?
ski holidays
Hmmmn maybe I should have said lifespan, rather than shelf life in the OP. I take it I'm probably still OK with around 6 weeks wear over 3 years with no impacts then?
latest report
ajpaul, all depends - is there a newer model in a slightly different shade on the market yet? That's how it works for all other equipment........if the answer is yes, clearly your current helmet is shot and needs replacing.
snow report
The Voice of Reason wrote:
ajpaul, all depends - is there a newer model in a slightly different shade on the market yet? That's how it works for all other equipment........if the answer is yes, clearly your current helmet is shot and needs replacing.

Also remember that helmet brands are still striving to make them standard equipment and too negative a message about how often they should be replaced may deter casual first time buyers. Once the market is fairly saturated I'd expoect we get to see more studies of how ski helmets weaken over time and therefore should be replaced frequently.
ski holidays
Another update from the states Puzzled Helmet "life span" is approx 2 years, after a bit more digging, it would appear that their two years is two full seasons use, and then its more an issue of helmet abuse than a breakdown in the materials.

Helmet abuse, by American standards is general wear and tear in other words helmets get kicked around abit and not looked after. I wonder if European wear and tear is different Puzzled Or British wear and tear is different again.

Please dont shoot the messenger on this one, I can see the responses about Helmet abuse already Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
I am a sad person and was thinking about this today when I clapped eyes on our riding hats. If we assume that it is UV damage which weakens the shells then I wonder what role the coating on a helmet makes. horse riding helmets have a covering of dense velvet fabric, or a fabric helmet cover in the case of a 'jockey helmet', cycling helmets are often finished with a light covering of coloured plastic - the same for many ski helmets that I've seen, motorcycling helmets are often coated with paints and laquers by the manufacturer. How much does it take to stop UV - IIRC from the recent thread on sunglasses not much is required. Is helmet degradation a real phenomenon or a means for manufacturers to flog us a shiney new one?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 5-08-10 18:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I'm buying a new helmet this year (replacing 3 year old Giro), for no other reason than the latest ones look much better than mine and it's the only new bit of kit I can possibly justify purchasing, however flimsy the reason, having got a whole new outfit + skis last season.

Don't judge me.
latest report
A bit of clarification ...
... relevant to all sorts of helmets, & pretty much anything else these days ...

A CE mark is not a standard, it indicates at which approved body the product testing was done. The standard the product was tested to is usually indicated by an EN number.

For example, climbing equipment & pesonal protective equipment for working at height both carry CE marks, but are tested to different ENs, & you can't use climbing kit as PPE at height.
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni emailed sweetprotection.com in March 2008, questioning the general 3-5 years helmet lifespan he had read about.

Sweet responded: "Well, 3-5years is LONG! We normally recommend that one should consider replacing a helmet after 2 years. This is, if you use the helmet quite often. The problem is that there’s no way any helmet manufacturer can say how the helmet has been treaded [treated?], or what ”damage” the helmet has been suffering. This is also why we say 2 years."

See: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37568
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Walter-Spitty, I've had my Rocker for 4/5 years, used pretty regularly, and it's still fine, although I'll probably convert my Trooper for paddling too this time next year. I do keep losing the bloody screws for the peak though, which gets pretty tedious.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy