Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lewes Avalanche

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies - to Swiller and all other avalanche collectors - for the false alarm last week. I'd been emailed by the programme makers that the Lewes Avalanche item was going out last Thursday 29 July. I've just spoken to the producer of Questions Questions who's confirmed that the interview goes out in today's show - Radio 4, 1.30.

We had some fun putting it together down in Lewes, initially by trying to gain access to a back garden of one of the cottages directly under the avalanche cliff (the edge of Cliffe Hill). Some of these cottages replaced the eleven dwellings which were destroyed, or partly destroyed, by the avalanche. That wasn't successful, so we moved to some land used by South Street Bonfire Society, next to the river. That site gives a great view of the whole scene.

The Snowdrop Inn, as reported some months ago, is under new ownership with much improved food. We did part of the recording next to the framed copy of William Thompson's pamphlet of 1863, and his eye-witness record of the disaster site, rescue and recovery.

If you miss the live transmission, it should be on BBC iPlayer for a week.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David E Goldsmith, Chuffed I will be able to see all those interesting places. Welcome to SH by the way. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I will be able to see all those interesting places

you must have a very special radio Shimmy Alcott, wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
( Colin B, that was my little joke wink don't tell the others)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David E Goldsmith, Welcome to snowHead , we had a member here with a very similar name to yours - wonder if you're related?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shimmy Alcott, poor recovery.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
OK the radio is on and have the transceiver standing by just in case
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Here 2 - waiting with bated breath. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kick-off!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
the intro was scary Skullie
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Strapping on Ave-cords as we speak in case of sudden attack of white fury
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
coins ??? I have
4 x £1
2 x 50p
3 x 20p
2 x 10p
3 x 5p
3 x 2p

spoof anyone? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
transceiver switched itself on automatically!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh, I expected his voice to be deeper.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ski holidays
A massive sausage of snow. Nice.
latest report
Nice little piece. Well done, David.
snow conditions
Kudos to you Mr Goldsmith. Nicely done.
ski holidays
I was expecting a different voice too! (Not sure how or why though.)
latest report
Well, that was good; the smooth tones, the informative style, nice job Goldfish. I hope you all feel warmer towards me now. After a week of therapy I feel my life can continue normally now.
latest report
Nice little talk, like how we still manage to blame the storm on the French as it came from Mont Blanc! and it was a North East Gale
snow report
Well done Mr. G.

Nice to hear you speak without harrumphing and tut tutting from The SCGB Choral Society.

I was not aware weather science was that advanced in the 1830s. A depression centred on Mont Blanc affecting Lewes sounds very precise for those days.
ski holidays
livetoski wrote:
coins ??? I have
4 x £1
2 x 50p
3 x 20p
2 x 10p
3 x 5p
3 x 2p

spoof anyone? Toofy Grin

Yes that is actually the Dufrais character from the Fonejacker series on Channel 4.

Terry Tibbs will be along in due course.
latest report
Hollywood are probably sniffing around now with a view to making a blockbuster. I would suggest a flashback type movie with Jeff Goldblum as DG relentlless in his investigation into finding the truth about Lewes. Russell Crowe and Julia Roberts could be the Lewes residents in the cottages in 1835 battling to save their neighbours from the huge avalanche.
snow report
Colin B, Mel Gibson, battling to rescue survivors, while railing against the evils of the English ruling class who force their serfs to live in hovels in the direct path of avalanches, on flood plains, earthquake fault lines, etc.
snow conditions
Colin B, I'd prefer Leslie Neilson in Frank Drebben mode playing the DG part.
snow conditions
Very nice.
ski holidays
Colin B wrote:
Hollywood are probably sniffing around now with a view to making a blockbuster. I would suggest a flashback type movie with Jeff Goldblum as DG relentlless in his investigation into finding the truth about Lewes. Russell Crowe and Julia Roberts could be the Lewes residents in the cottages in 1835 battling to save their neighbours from the huge avalanche.

The late John Candy would have been ideal for the part of the sausage.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Colin B, or (joke set-up alert) Do you like Dickins?
ski holidays
Colin B, Possibly Goldblum's love interest could be Renee Zellwegger as an oppressed single mother avalanche cord weaver, still trying to establish her wares are the most superior in the face of evil big business technology punted by Alan Rickmann's Mega Ski Corp.
latest report
youspurs1 wrote:
David E Goldsmith, Welcome to snowHead , we had a member here with a very similar name to yours - wonder if you're related?

That was Dave.

No they are not related.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone for the comments. I hadn't heard the edit until it went out and I think Whistledown Productions - who put it together for the Beeb - did a grand job. The readings (the voice was Dilly Barlow) were from the pamphlet mentioned above, which you can read in full in the Snowdrop Inn.

Latchico, very good point. You're quite correct that weather science - particularly storm science - was relatively undeveloped in 1836, although good data (temps, barometric pressure, wind direction (but not very reliable on wind strength etc) was being recorded by meteorologists across Europe.

The knowledge that the storm was centred near Mont Blanc comes from a very impressive retrospective analysis of that data, which I'll be able to talk about in a while.
ski holidays
Re. the Hollywood angle. Regrettably, all the directors/actors I'd like to work with on this project are now dead. Most of them died in avalanches.
snow conditions
David E Goldsmith, great to see you back. There's a really nice helmet thread going in the Piste that needs your input. Go on, you know you want to.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, have you been bored lately? Toofy Grin
snow report
achilles, I'm not sure if that's an observation or an invitation.
latest report
Bode Swiller, Laughing
snow conditions
Aah - just caught the end of this - must listen again!

Steve Sparks wrote:

Me too Puzzled
snow conditions
For those who missed it, the programme's now up on iPlayer ...

... http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t7h8y/Questions_Questions_05_08_2010/

... the Lewes Avalanche is about 07.40 mins into the programme.

Steve Sparks wrote:

It's interesting how skiers always expect things to be deeper. My voice was deeper last winter. Then there was a thaw (along with my genitalia being swept away by an avalanche).
snow report
David E Goldsmith, Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy