Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling regular drivers in France - telepaege help for a numpty

Poster: A snowHead
I’ve just received a ‘liber t’ badge from APRR. I think that I’ve purchased a badge which will charge me €1.50 per month for any months that I’m using it. (does that sound right/likely?).

My French is very, very rusty (more rust than substance actually) and I’m struggling a little with some of the fitting instructions. Particularly with regards to having an arthermique windscreen. I’m assuming that as my satnav can see through the screen the liber-t badge would be able to too. Again, does that sound likely?

Finally, could anyone give me any clues as to where on the screen the badge should be placed? The instructions refer to the ‘stem’ (excuse dodgy translation). Does this mean up around the rear view mirror?

TIA
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowlamb, ours is at the top of the windscreen by the rearview mirror. The subscription sounds right.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm guessing arthermique means heated? In which case the elements could block radio waves.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There should be an inheated portion where the badge can be located though, usually near the rear view mirror.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hells Bells,

Thank you.

Looking forward to testing it out next week with the rest of the hordes driving South.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowlamb, stick it behind the mirror. And the hordes went last weekend, I think. Have a great trip. snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, Indeed they did and broke a record

Quote:
26/07/2010 - Eurotunnel sets new record for cross Channel transport: 9,382 cars Shuttled from England to France in 24 hours

http://www.eurotunnel.com/ukcP3Main/ukcCorporate/ukcMediaCentre/ukcNewsReleases/ukcNews2010/ukcJuly2010/ukpPr1007New-Traffic-Record.htm
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tiffin wrote:
I'm guessing arthermique means heated?

No, not heated, but coated with a very fine metallic layer which helps stop the sun from heating up the car too much. The coating can play havoc with satnav signals as these can get blocked too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, they might have broken records on Saturday, but on Sunday they had some kind of signalling mess up, and big hold ups. We arrived in good time for a pre-booked 15.45 train, and thought we might get on an earlier one. But we were ticketed onto one that was supposed to leave at 1720 and eventually got off almost an hour later. We got south of Reims, then stopped in a Fast Hotel for the night.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowlamb, that's right monthly charge when you use it, mine lives in the glove box, next to the DART tag, I just hold it up against the windscreen, avoiding the darker bit at the top and it works fine
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm with Sanef and pay 2 euro a month for use.
mine lives on the left corner of the dashboard when in use, flat side up (cos that side is where the receiver is) and I've never had a problem.
I find that you have to drive very close to the barrier before you hear the 'beep' and up it goes - is that just me?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
youspurs1, yes pretty close sometimes.

I drove down in June with our badge - the holder for which is in the other car - so I had to hold it up each time. So of course it didn't work the first time and I got out and got the ticket, did that a couple more times which was a real fag and defeated the object of the badge so much muttering from me about it - the last peage station I got to when it was only something like 1.70 euros - I got out again but had it in my hand and as I got to the front of the car the barrier did go up.

My problem (explained by OH when I collected him later on in the trip) was that I was holding it up OK, but not holding it still, - of course in my panic I was waving it around a bit. Lesson learned.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is it possible to get one of these boxes in a service station in France? We're driving to Les Arcs next week and I guess I don't have time to get one online. It won't be such a big deal for this trip but when I drive out in December I'm travelling by myself and not having to leap out of the car at every peage station will be a good thing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. You can get them from the offices situated at the actual peage areas on the autoroutes, but not at a service station.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think youspurs1 is right. You can't get them at service stations. Some péage areas have clearly-flagged Télépéage offices - I'm not sure they all do.
snow report
Correct - they don't all have them but the larger ones do - usually over to the side a bit, little office block. But of course being France they are not open 24/7 or even 12/7 and do have lunch breaks, so we have had to drive on a bit when we had to replace ours.
snow report
youspurs1, Pamski, thanks. Any idea where some of the offices are? We're driving from Calais down past Reims. Also, I think there are a couple of different companies that do the peage boxes, is there a preferred company to go for?
snow conditions
I'm off to les arcs this afternoon and have a sanef badge works great but i just hold it out the window (on my RHD cars) )and it seems to be fine

think theres an office at the gare de peage at Courcy and Taissy at Reims, but think as other posters have said they only do French office hours

Cheers

Loz
latest report
cheztichot, thanks. Have a great time in Les Arcs.
ski holidays
rob@rar, the SANEF office at the péage southof Calais have them I think, but you can definitely get one at Reims, as we had to change our badge on our trip down this time. Apparently someone had reported it lost and my card had expired (none of these applied). New badge is very small, and is stuck on the windscreen next to the rearview mirror.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I think our first one was SANEF but when we had to replace it in December we got whatever was being sold at the first place open - and sorry that is not a lot of help. I know that this has to be linked to our French bank account whereas the SANEF one was linked to a UK credit card.
ski holidays
snowlamb, exactly right mine is the same, and just up behind the rear view mirror should do it.

rob@rar, you might not be too late to order one if you do it online straightaway, http://www.telepeagepourtous.fr/fr I got the APRR Liber-t one earlier in the year and it came really quickly, they sent an email confirmation of order which said within 8 days but it came after about 4 IIRC, I was really impressed. It was the best deal when I looked at the time, 10Euros I think for the tag and then 1.50 for each month you use it. Thanks for the explanation about the windscreen too, the satnav is a real PITA in my car, fine in the OH's, this is obviously why.
snow conditions
Sorry for the silly question, but do these badges charge you a set rate each time you use them (so possibly saving you lots of moeny) or is it just a quicker way to get through the barrier? Thanks Embarassed
ski holidays
rob@rar, There are quite few sales booths on the way down, usually at the peage gates. Generally the overhead signs tell you when you are near one. From memory there is one at Reims there may be one before. I'll let you know the first location on the way down next week.

barratschamonix No saving at all infact you pay 1 0r 2 Euro each month of usage plus one off costs. The toll charges remain the same. For once or twice a year usage the credit card lanes are cheaper.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 30-07-10 21:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, thanks.
ski holidays
Barratschamonix, it's just a quicker way through, but I think if you were a really regular user, and you did so many journeys per month, you may get some discount. They have special rates for journeys to work for example, and for students going home in the holidays
latest report
Barratschamonix, you don't pay any less. in fact you pay a bit more, as there's a monthly charge on top. People use them to get through the barrier a bit quicker and to feel effortlessly superior to all the poor tourists fumbling with money. wink It's a marketing triumph that so many are sold, really. And once most people have one then, of course, they are no use at all, whether to get through quicker or to feel superior! And when the autoroute is really busy, all lanes are jammed for miles anyway. You get nowhere waving your badge and trying to push through.

The main advantage for me is it saves me having to wake up my OH at the gate.
snow report
pam w wrote:
The main advantage for me is it saves me having to wake up my OH at the gate.

I've not been stuck in very long queues to get through the peage but I've heard that 45 minute delays are not uncommon at busy times of the year. On a drive from the Alps to Calais if you get a couple of delays like that it adds up to a significant extra chunk of time on an already long drive.

For me the real benefit is for later in the year when I drive down by myself. Hopefully having a badge will mean I don't have to get out of the car to collect ticket or pay a toll. The few € extra will be money well spent.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, get online and order it now, you know you want to Toofy Grin
snow report
sarah, not enough time. I driving down early on Thursday morning, so it would need to arrive in Wednesday's post. That's three working days to process my order and get it sent to the UK. Can't see it happening. So I might buy one en route, but if not I'll get one lined up for when I travel down for December.
snow report
rob@rar, that's cutting it fine, well fingers crossed you can get one easily on the way down Smile Check out the costs though as they do vary a fair bit from provider to provider, the APRR one is particularly cheap and they seemed to have a marketing drive on targetting the Brits at Easter.
ski holidays
Quote:

I've not been stuck in very long queues to get through the peage but I've heard that 45 minute delays are not uncommon at busy times of the year. On a drive from the Alps to Calais if you get a couple of delays like that it adds up to a significant extra chunk of time on an already long drive.

no, I've never been stuck either, because I don't drive at peak times. But I've passed bad one going in the opposite direction, the worst being the road south into Reims at halfl term. Several miles of solid traffic in all lanes - a badge wouldn't have made the slightest difference. But I really like having one - it's painless, and I never see the bills - having to whip your credit card out all the time rather reminds you how much you're paying! I made a euro saving a month by having no paper bills, with the consequence that I never look at them.

I drove through one a couple of day ago where the longest queue was at the outside reserved lane. Only a few cars, but all the lane took badge and several were empty, so I took one of those. The number of lanes which take badges is growing rapidly. I think it's a device to save the companies salary costs, not to save us time.
latest report
I'm in France at the moment and have driven today from Poitou Charente to Rouen. Probably lost about 30 minutes in total at queues at 2 peages. I don't believe a telepeage would have saved me any time at all. Can't see the point.
ski holidays
Colin B, we've saved quite a bit of time on occasions, mainly during the summer at Beaune, and around Lyon in the winter, but obviously not if there were several miles of traffic, only if the queue is in the telepeage area. This is quite large at Beaune, and I reckoned it took an extra 15-20 minutes to get through. It is however, far more convenient than scrabbling for your change or credit card , and if your passenger falls asleep you don't have to wake them up. No ticket to lose on a long stretch either which did happen to us on the last occasion we travelled without the badge, costing us an extra 40€ or so, as we were charged from Marseille to Reims, instead of Beaune-Reims.
snow conditions
Colin B wrote:
I don't believe a telepeage would have saved me any time at all. Can't see the point.

Excellent, best advice I have seen all Summer here. I recommend no one buys one
latest report
Colin B, those must have been long queues - I've driven a lot in France and never been more than the 7th or 8th car in line (and that was before I got the badge) but I religiously avoid busy times. I agree with Hells Bells that the badge is super-convenient. My husband once spent about ten minutes on the A40 collecting exactly the right money in 10c and 20c pieces, to throw in the basket (we had too many and needed to get rid of some). Having finally counted it all out, for the fourth time, he dropped the lot on the floor. Laughing
snow report
Hi rob@rar, we went round to your place today and did a flyer drop in all the post boxes. Sadly Iseran is nowhere near being finished so couldn't drop there but it was nice to have a drive round and we checked out the golf course at the same time. We got our peage beeper through AREA last season and they were doing some special offer. I did it online and it was very quick. Because we also signed up for internet invoicing, you get a 50c discount, and therefore these last few months when we haven't used it (you only pay the monthly subscription when you use it), they've paid us for having it as they given us a 50c rebate!!! It makes such a difference if you are on your own in the car, and definitely quicker than going through a pay booth, but you do have to get close before it beeps. They've got a new "trial" lane at the Albertville toll as well, where you can drive through at 30km and still be registered. We did it Thursday evening and were nervous about it working but it did! Unlike Colin B & thefatcontroller, I thoroughly recommend it.
ski holidays
rebeccay, thanks for the info.

L'Iseran is due for completion in December, so a bit early yet. We're driving down on Thursday so hopefully I'll get to meet the Montalbert crew at some stage on this trip.
ski holidays
2 queues at 2 different peages, about a mile long at each. The one at Rouen was queing to get into only about 5 peage lanes. Wouldn't have helped me at all today I don't think. In fact I'm not sure there were any telepeage only lanes they were all T/CB.

I guess my poit is that a telepeage isn't a panacea for all french motorway problems.
ski holidays
rob@rar, would be good to catch up with you next week if possible, I think pretty much everyone is here till the weekend or thereabouts.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy