Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bindings question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have Salomon Malamutes in size 8.5/9 - any views on good bindings for these? Salomon website suggests Salomon "Caliber" bindings (no surprise), but i cannot seem to find them anywhere on the net (well, anywhere in US anyway).

I am not into park and prefer playing around on long reds and as much off-piste as I can get.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boardiac,
If you are ever not sure or limited in choice or baffled with sales waffle, a good bet is the mid range bindings.

These will give a bit of flex or forgivness for all day riding though, which is up to you.
Rome 390,s,union force,salomon chief,k2formula,burton mission, flux ?etc all mid range

Don,t let them sell you too big whatever you get, as 9uk/9.5us salomon will fit medium size salomon and union bindings, too big a binding can have problems you don,t need for 150-200 notes .
If you ride months consider parts access and where, if few weeks not such a issue just a S-driver and locktight blue.

The salomon calibers are the firmer binding (but not as stiff as some other brands) although combined with stiff malamutes the combo could `work you`,especially on a longer, bigger board.Piste caving would be gained but at a loss elsewhere.Which may suit or not.

Can you help me,are your malamutes the new ones with the stiffening rods hidden under back of lace eyelet velcro?
Does it work? taking them out ,lessening the flex of the boot,did you try or notice?.
I don,t mean the banana shaped ankle inserts which are a different thing for heel hold.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have Burton Missions and don't recommend them. They feel flimsy, and the toe ratchet is hard to get tight enough as it slips all the time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i think once you get on the mountain you will get used to any combination. Half the time I can not even remember what my set was from last season or even my last trip, or how forward my high-backs were or how tight I did my straps etc and actually compensating for all that is the fun of boarding, so picking the right boot for the bindings for me would not be a huge issue - soft or hard maybe would be the biggest decision. Apart from that I can not really help Little Angel

I do normally remember that I am goofy though Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have had toe cap holding problems,it does in most cases seem to be down to adjustment and more than one evening figuring it out. Getting it wrong few more times, even before you get it right, is a pain .

This can be frustrated by the fact you have to remove the bindings from board too adjust toe strap position fore/aft in the baseplate. After that its lenght on plastic strap on the toe cap with little screw.Hard too even say it here.

Some salesman also push large or xl bindings cause of larger stock so watch out for that too, if really medium size binding is your size.
A friend has that mission toe cap ratchet, spinning sticking thing going on,he was swearing last season like the season before.Still not adjusted it, he was on holiday for riding, not fixing stuff I guess.

Its very handy to know your stance width, fore/aft angles so if you service, bust, loose your board or test others at store.I could never remember so looked up craigkellys and been round those ever since.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boardiac, I have Saloman F22 boots and I decided to match them up with Saloman bindings for a better fit as the F22s overall size comes up quite small/compact. I went for the Saloman Relay Bindings....they have a soft heel cup that tightens around the boot giving a really snug fit. They look a bit weird, but this combo has been the most comfortable I've riden. Just had a quick look on the boardwise website and they are listed as a Park/Freestyle binding, but I wouldn't take too much notice of this, they perform excellently on and off piste and are pretty responsive.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't reckon there's a whole lot in it with bindings once you get away from cheap and nasty ones. Just go for something nice and simple, with bombproof ratchets, and easy spare parts availability, and make sure they fit your boots OK.

I've been riding union forces and flux stream/super titans for the last few seasons, honestly can't tell the difference between any of them. Had some Salomon SPX88's a few years ago, and they didn't work at all well with my Salomon F24 boots, but were fine with bigger profile DC boots.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hang11 wrote:
I don't reckon there's a whole lot in it with bindings once you get away from cheap and nasty ones. Just go for something nice and simple, with bombproof ratchets, and easy spare parts availability, and make sure they fit your boots OK.

That's about it. Good advice.

FWIW, from when I could notice any difference I've been on Ride bindings. I prefer stiffer chassis, and ratchets and straps apart (I always carry spares), they've served me well, and it's where I'll stay. Probably no surprise I'm in stiff boots easier, but it suits my style (or lack of), and the terrain I like.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BCjohnny, what type of terrain is that?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SooperSlyder wrote:
BCjohnny, what type of terrain is that?

Seems like a fairly pointed question. Why ask Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BCjohnny, no ulterior motive - just want to know whether these are good for you in park/piste/off-piste or back-country?

Tirol 164, my malamutes are not the new ones... Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boardiac

Sorry mate, you used different log-in, and it seemed like a strange question out of the blue.......

All round I guess, but that set up's not much good in the park. Too stiff.

I'll do some trail carving, but as long as the cover is decent, mainly off-trail, wherever I can get/manage. The stiff bindings/boots, softish board just seems right for me, but like most things in boarding, it won't suit everyone.

If I go to the local fridge, I use some old soft Moto's, as the boots I ride on the hill are just to stiff. But now I'm talking boots, not bindings. I like Ride bindings 'cause of the alloy base, but have had issues with straps and ratchets, hence the spares.

As others have said, don't get too hung up on getting the "right" gear, just get some decent stuff. If you can demo, first, do so. For the average recreational rider, like most of us, who is lucky to get a few weeks on the hill, it's not life or death.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rome 390s definitely recommended for your riding - had it on my board for two years for exactly that.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is no pint getting stiff boots and floppy bindings. I'm using F24 and CO2s which is a really stiff combination. Perfect for high speed red and black pistes, plus all the soft stuff I can get.

The nearest I get to parks is the view from the chairlift.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy