Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Offpiste potential in St François Longchamp?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

Does anyone have experience of the offpiste potential in St François Longchamp? Someone I know is organising a guided trip there and I'm considering joining it.

Any first-hand knowledge appreciated: routes, type of descents (hairy/relaxed, couloirs / trees, etc), quality of snow and so on. I don't expect it to be Chamonix or Verbier but I wouldn't want something TOO mellow.

Thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nothing on the Pistehors site, which you probably know already... But I notice it shares the ski area with Valmorel: perhaps someone will know more about it from that end?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

PM me and I will send you some info... I'm away at the mo so don't have time to write more. Some more off piste has opened up with the link to Celliers btw. Be careful, the whole off piste area is very avalanche prone with lots of deaths over the last few winters incl. a director of Club Med who was with the head of the piste patrol at the time. Club Med. have just signed a huge deal, so I'm told by the locals, for St Francois so the area will probably change quite a bit in the future.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From the couple of times I was there St Francis Long Champ never stood out as a big place for off piste. This is because the area is infested with green runs. I suppose piste users can go off any run to try the virgin snow but the area is famous for its flat terrain. It is very enjoyable though because it is very very long.

St Francis Long Champ is almost at the opposite end of Valmorel. On St Francis is further away with two more runs. Visitor can go to the resort either from the valley via St Francis or from the Valmorel end via the Tarentaise Valley. It is a wide cruising county of skiing over entire several mountains so I suppose in a sense one in on piste as well as off piste because a very wide area is skiable.

It normally took us one whole day nearly non-stop (except lunch) to ski from Valmorel to St Francis and back. So be warn it is not a small place. It is a nice and easy place to ski among friends. Personally I think St Francis Long Champ has deliberately graded many runs down the resort green to attract visitors as I don't think many beginners will like the gradients.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
well I'm a bit confused now. Is it very flat or surprisingly steep? Mellow or desperately dangerous?

We had a free day in St Francois on our ski pass last year, but never got round to using it. Might try to visit next season (if it's still free) - though for the pistes, rather than the off-piste. horizon, if you go, you will report back, won't you. with some nice pictures, maybe?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I remember being on a school ski holiday in 1990ish in St Francois and it was great. We were in the more advanced group and our instructor/guide thought nothing of leading us down some pretty steep and very entertaining off piste. I have vivid memories of skiing some great gullies with pretty sizeable drops that weren't too exposed. All in all great fun.

As far as describing the place goes, if we were comparing with mountian biking, i'd say it's more Scottish Borders than Scottish Highlands. The hills aren't as grand, but they can be steep in places and if you want to find some thrills, they are there to be found. You just need to get someone to take you there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have been off piste in St Francois and Valmorel. Pretty good if you know where to go but as a previous poster said can be dangerous. At St Fran you can traverse out under the cliffs and access some not so difficult off piste. Also down the right side of Col du Madalene (think that is the name!) with a guide. Val opens up alot more with some excellent steep and deep runs. Hike to the best areas above the resort. Seek out Alan McCabe in resort everyone knows him. He is probably the best off pister in the village. He has been there for years and regularly scales Ceve Tete for his off piste adventures.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy