Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotels in Zermatt

Poster: A snowHead
I am thinking of going to Zermatt Feb half-term. Has anyone got any hotel recommendations ? Conversely ones to avoid at all costs ? I looked on tripadvisor but the reviews are so polarised; most hotels have people who think they are great and others who had an awful experience. Also some of the hotels can be so different in summer to winter. Also might be important what people think when the resort is busy 'cos a hotel's service can plummet when they are stretched as opposed to a quiet time when it's a bit easier for them.

Cheers in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A while since I have been there, but I really liked the Hotel Perren. Nice rooms, attentive service - with the owners themselves pitched in waiting at the restaurant when they saw things were getting particularly busy one evening.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had a week at the Hotel Mirabeau in 2007 and enjoyed it (http://www.hotel-mirabeau.ch/), though a friend had to change rooms because of a noisy lift. Good but quite expensive.

Edit: The hotel is only a short walk from the Gornergratbahn.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 22-07-10 22:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avoid the Le Petit hotel. We went there with Crystal and we weren't impressed at all. Some of that was due to the staff and food which could have improved as it was a number of years ago BUT it was also not a particulary good location it was a reasonable walk to the lifts and wasn't much shorter to the nearest bus stop
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stayed in the Alpenblick last week. http://www.reconline.ch/alpenblick/gesamt_e.htm

It was very nice and close gondola.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stayed in the Alpenblick last week. http://www.reconline.ch/alpenblick/gesamt_e.htm

It was very nice and close to the gondola.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Avoid the Le Petit hotel. We went there with Crystal and we weren't impressed at all.

Surprisingly, in contrast to the above, we went to the Petit on a DIY trip and liked it. Good value, nice room and a good breakfast.

Yes - a bit of a trek to the lifts but very handy for the town centre and going out at night.

We'd stay there again. Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bergmeister, it was a good while ago that I went so hopefully it has improved circa 8 years ago. However as I said the hotel could have improved but for us the location wasn't good either (we were more worried about proximity to lifts etc we knew it wasn't that close but we didn't appreciate how far off the bus route we were).

The food was awful, but interestingly, the chef left the week after we stayed as my hairdresser stayed there the week after we did, and the chef walked out on them on their second day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ, I like le Petit and have been impressed with the staff and accommodation on the two occasions I've stayed there in the last two years. I disagree about the location, I don't reckon it's more than 10-15 minutes walk from any of the 3 main lifts.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NickyJ, I like le Petit and have been impressed with the staff and accommodation on the two occasions I've stayed there in the last two years. I disagree about the location, I don't reckon it's more than 10-15 minutes walk from any of the 3 main lifts.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cleearly they have improved recently on on food and staff. Good to know.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stayed at the Park BeAusite last year - it was excellent
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Zermatterhof.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dsoutar, another vote for the mirabeau
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll be staying at Hotel Alpenstern in mid-Jan. Has anyone here stayed there? It'll be my first time
ski holidays
Yep, I have stayed at the Alpenstern. It's fine, kind of at the wrong end of town, but not that far from a ski bus stop. My favorite hotel (on a budget) is Hotel Antika, nice location and good value (for Zermatt). Be prepared for busy bus rides or long walks to get to the lifts virtually wherever you stay, but the view of the Matterhorn is well worth it.
latest report
Location is very important in Zermatt. Some hotels are a very long way from the trains / lifts; the buses are generally rammed; and taxis are extortionate unless you're in a large group and can split the cost. I'd much prefer to take a bad hotel close to the lifts than a good hotel in the middle of nowhere.
latest report
farlep99 wrote:
I'll be staying at Hotel Alpenstern in mid-Jan. Has anyone here stayed there? It'll be my first time

Yes stayed there, very good, small, friendly place. Can't agree with Alfie about the location though, it was well placed in our opinion, there are far, far worse locations in Zermatt. Close enough to the station for arrival and departure and a couple of minutes walk to the Sunnega lift which is a good place to start the day, we nearly always worked the piste map left to right starting by going up Sunnega. If you are hiring equipment use Flexrent opposite Sunnega, they also have a shop at the Matterhorn base too and will move your gear between the shops overnight if you tell them where you'll be starting the next morning.
snow conditions
Thanks for the replies Sarah & Alfie. Yeah- I figured we'd start the day @ the Sunnega lift & ski the piste map left to right. Also the Rothorn looks like it's more my kind of skiing, as there are ungroomed freeride areas marked there & that's generally what I prefer to ski. Won't be hiring skis, I'll have my own. Appreciate any other advice/info/tips. This will be my first time in Zermatt. I ski in Zell am See, AT every year but this year i"ll be doing Zermatt & Zell.
ski holidays
farlep99 One of our Mountain Guides - Matt Dickinson - wrote a short guide to the Zermatt off-piste areas http://mountaintrx.blogspot.com/2008/11/matts-off-piste-guide-to-zermatt.html.
A friendly budget hotel that we like to use is the Hotel Tannenhof. Very good breakfasts for hungry skiers!
ski holidays
Oops...links work best without the fullstop at the end....http://mountaintrx.blogspot.com/2008/11/matts-off-piste-guide-to-zermatt.html
ski holidays
Thanks Chris, that's a nice guide to some of the off-piste. Hiring an off-piste guide is not in the budget this year, but i definitely plan on hitting some sidecountry areas that are detailed here. Looks like the terrain here is endless
ski holidays
I'm looking at the Matterhornblick for next year, just off the church square. Anyone been, know of it?
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm looking at the Matterhornblick for next year, just off the church square. Anyone been, know of it?

I've not been but I have friends who go there every year and rate the hotel highly.

I also think Mountainaddict may have been so he may be along at some point soon to comment.
snow conditions
Have stayed at the Hotel Atlanta, family run, very pleasant. No bar, after dinner, but that's OK. Gret views of the matterhorn.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy