Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
A group of us between 6 and 8 are planning a trip in early Jan, as we all live up north we will be using the hull to zeebrugge ferry, we did it last year and had a week in andorra but would prefer somewhere a bit closer this year, ideally within 700 miles / 10 hours driving of zeebrugge. We are all experienced skiers so would like a large varied ski area and preferably ski in ski out accommodation, would prefer hotels but would consider appartments as well. Any ideas / recommendations on resorts and accommodation would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Jason
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jason,

This question is slightly open with no indication of budget.........you can stay in very nice ski in ski out hotels in Courcheval but they come at a price!!!! I would have a look at Alpe d'Huez, Serre Che. and perhaps les Arcs, Tignes and Val d'Isere have great skiing to! I'm based in Les Deux Alpes which would fit the bill on the skiing but you have limited choice of hotels, Chalet Monier or the Farendol unless you go with tour ops or are happy to consider B&B option/chalets/apartments

Austria is also a fun place with great skiing not so up on which resorts though sorry!

Hope this helps

Alex
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jase380,
Early Jan = variable snow conditions across Europe. It is easy to get to France Austria or Switzerland from there. With a car there is no need to choose early and no financial advantage in doing so. Wait and see what the snow is like.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alex, we are aiming for about 400 quid pp for a hotel, cheaper would be nice as it allows more for beer tokens!! . T Bar, i agree on the snow front but have found it easier in the past to get people to pay up if i can say " thats where we are staying and its xxx pounds ", we will probably be looking at the higher resorts if booking well in advance.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Early Jan is low season so may be worth looking at some of the tour op deals around..........they will give you a good idea of whats available!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alexchapman, jase380, There are 24 Independently run regular hotels in LDA. I started to list them and then decided there were too many, these are my favourites but look at http://hebergements.les2alpes.com/www-liste_hotels-TYPEHO%5BHTOURI|HLOCAL%5BHLOC2A-959-ETE-FR-2ALPES.html

Souleil'Or 3* very nice right on the piste next to the Belle Etoile chair;
Cote Brun 2* excellent right on the piste by the meeting point of the ESI and 2 mins fromthe Jandri Expresss;
Les Melezes 3* very nice but not as posh as the Souleil'Or but smack bang at the bottom of the Viking nursery slope;
Les Lutins B & B, very reasonable and cosy and smack in the middle of the town;
Le Serre Palas 2* very reasonable, family Mounier run;

Also there are club hotels which are available to peeps not in families and are generally very good value: they can be found at http://hebergements.les2alpes.com/www-liste_hotels-TYPEHO%5BHCLUB|HLOCAL%5BHLOC2A-959-ETE-FR-2ALPES.html

There are loads of others too.

jase380, I should think that a really good bet would be either the Mercure in the Village, or B & B at either Les Lutins (many satisfied snowheads have stayed there and the owner Cathy is one of the world's nicest people) or the Serre Palas and arrange to eat every night (fixed menu) at the restaurant Il Caminetto for around €15 pp 3 courses + 1 drink.
You would not be dissatisfied with the skiing here in LDA - I've been here 18 years and there's lots I haven't skied yet - the 2nd biggest off piste domain in France after Chamonix. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jason,
Let me know if I can help - Chalet La Falaise is an eight person chalet (4 bedrooms) in Les Carroz, part of Flaine's Grand Massif ski area with 265km of
varied terrain plus loads of accessible off-piste. The chalet is not ski-in/ski-out, but is next to the bus stop (or a 7 minute walk to the pistes), and at just £1,360 total (or £1,292 after snowheads discount) it leaves plenty of change for the beer tokens.....by the way, Les Carroz is one of the closest major resorts to Zeebrugge at 8 hours drive.
Many thanks
Chris
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, thanks for the info, very helpfull, i like the look of the mercure it seems pretty much what we are after. Chris, thanks for the chalet link, looks very nice but i ve skied the GM for the last couple of years so would like to try somewhere else, cant argue with that price though, cheap as chips !!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jase380,
Quote:

T Bar, i agree on the snow front but have found it easier in the past to get people to pay up if i can say " thats where we are staying and its xxx pounds ", we will probably be looking at the higher resorts if booking well in advance.

Fair enough, high resorts can have probelms early season if they have a stony base. Might also consider somwehere like St Anton which is pretty reliable early season bit of a paucity of ski in ski out accommodation though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jase380, Hi Jason,
I would think Morzine comes within distance from Zeebrugge. We are not ski in /out, but very close to town center and a ski bus stop that puts you in the center of the PDS.
snowHead price of B&B at £280pp for a week in a shared twin room. You can eat out, or bring in takeaways, or management can cook for a few nights, so very flexible.
Contact Nina via the website below if interested.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Obertauern, Austria, plenty of appartments, all ski in ski out. Would recommend Glocknerin. Grand massif is pretty close too. Les Carroz has a few places ski in ski out, but the snow is not as cast iron certain as Obertauern. Recommed both places.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Jason,

I've just seen your post and I think that Chalet Campanules with Ice and Fire might fit the bill?

The chalet is right by the piste with a sauna, TV room, wifi, and plenty of parking. It is fully catered including wine too which should help you save a bit for the odd night out! You can have a look at the details on our website www.ice-fire.co.uk or contact me if you've got queries on Heather@ice-fire.co.uk.

Most of our January weeks are at £450 per head including the catering.

Hope that helps?

Heather
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for Morzine/PdS for proximity and variety. And for a group too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jase380, another vote for the big resorts of W Austria, pretty reliable in the early season, extensive ski areas and IMHO offer better value for money than the big resorts in France, Lech (and its ski in ski out satellite Oberlech), St Anton (there's plenty of accomm within spitting distance of a lift), same at Ischgl (with its wild apres).

The first two under 9 hours/600miles according to ViaMichelin, Ischgl a bit further 9.5 hrs, using FREE Belgian and German motorways, option of a route via Luxembourg where you can fill up on Europe's cheapest fuel too.

Check out the tourist office websites of the resorts to search for available accommodation within your criteria. If you really want to slim down the budget, consider staying a bus ride away from the lifts and buses are pretty frequent/efficient ie. Kappl for Ischgl.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the replies guys, has given us a good few options to consider, keep em coming !!
snow report
well as a current resident in Valmienier which is linked to Valloire i'd have to recommender there! Lovely little place, but from the reviews of the clients i get (i work for the ESf as an instructor) i'd steer clear of the english hotel. also with only a 30 min drive to orelle the 3 valleys are easily accessible without paying the big money for accommodation!

there are apartments just below the resort that are cheap and owned by an english lady. is call Grange Bernard. http://www.chalet-montagne.com/en/rentals/valmeinier/rentals_valmeinier.php?id=4716
But get in touch with her at karenrichardson02@yahoo.co.uk

and the lady happens to be my mum:)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy