Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bouquet for the ESF

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yes, I know they've ocme in for a fair amount of criticism on this forum (from YT among others) but praise where praise is due ...
Last week we were with a group in Courchevel 1650 with a total of 6 children of differing abilities booked into the ESF. I can vouch for the experience of my children as follows:

2** 7 year old - she would probably have been more challenged in the 3*** but on the first morning I did a speed-examination of each of the instructors and the 2** seemed more appealing so put her in that group along with one of her friends. Enormous class, swiftly divided into 2 of about 12 each. Happy child all week, no complaints about going to ski school, quietly consolidated her skiing skills to competent red runs, no tears from her at all during the whole week. OK so the instructor looked me in the eye and told me 'you 'ave a vairy cute daughtairr' but I'm not swayed ... Instructors: Jerome and Fred

Competition class - 9 year old. About 8 children. Very happy boy: spent a week gong up and down the stade skiing gates and doing the fleche on the 2 final days. Day 1: a combination of long journey from the UK, late nights with French cousins and 3 different beds in as many nights meant he could hardly keep his eyes open. feedback not good. Instructor not happy, boy not happy, ' he shouted at me'. Turns out part of the competition class training includes preparation for becoming a pisteur in later life: carting the gates up on the drag lift for the instructor to plant in carefully pre-selected positions on the course. Tired child falls off lift, drops poles - who wouldn't shout at him? I certainly would! By Day 3 the shouting is eliminated, instructor has the measure of his group and elated boy goes on to achieve silver fleche to his immense pride. And guess what? He didn't mind being shouted at 'because it was fair'. Instructor: Pierre.

All the instructors I dealt with were unfailingly charming and helpful, and the ESF gets my vote in Courchevel 1650. The pre-care (we booked in advance and had to change some of the details) was shocking - no replies to e mails, offhand responses on the phone - and the office staff in person only just held it together - but at the sharp end, the instructors, they were great. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's good to see some positive feedback on the ESF to give a bit of balance.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm surprised it was Courchevel but on the whole I think a lot of people tend to have prejudices that were maybe fair 10 years ago but do not reflect the quality of a lot of the younger instructors.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snoflake, Exactly - what I've been trying to point out on several threads. Many of the prejudices are old hat, and not often applicable nowadays - particularly the language bit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Something that will be become increasingly true as the 'Old Guard' gradually takes retirement. Walking ( Sad ) back down from the top of the Arc 1600 domain a week back, I watched one ancient ESF guy skiing down several hundred metres of piste, followed by a 2* group of mainly under 10s, without looking back at them a single time. The kids were all over the place. A cliché I know, but examples still do exist. He eventually stopped to talk to someone he knew, while the group turned up in dribs and drabs, then set off again without a word. I'm sure he didn't count them!

(To anyone who hasn't followed my posts on similar topics, I've spent a lot of time defending the ESF from stereotyped criticisms!)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 10-04-05 9:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
PG, Exactly - we have some like that here too - but they're getting old and will soon retire. The younger guys are mostly professional ski teachers by choice - not cafe owners who want to earn a bit more. It does seem very unfair to tar the new generation with the sins of the old.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have to give a thumbs up to ESF in Tignes on a personal level too Smile

I lost my mobile phone duiring a 'minor' (ahem) accident on the piste and was carted off to the medical centre. When I eventually emerged from the Medical Centre my friend recieved a phone call from my folks saying that an ESF instructor had picked my phone up and taken it to their offices and the reception staff had figured out that 'home' in my address book meant they could contact someone to inform them I had lost my phone!

I was most greatful to the ESF instructor for doing that as he really didn't have to - could have whipped the phone and used it or sold it.

Later the same day I was flicking through the photo's on my phone to find photo's of said instructor and receptionist lol

Can't comment on their teaching habits as I never got that far lol! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy