Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheapest resort with the best skiing?!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to find a 7 day holiday next year... but I'm on a budget. I can't afford places like Meribel and Val D'isere, but I still want somewhere with decent prices and good skiing!

Do you think Spain's the way to go? they have cheaper lift passes, and the food etc is a bargain!
If anyone can suggest a good deal, I'd really appreciate it! if you can mention prices too, that would be fantastic!

Hope some of you can help! Very Happy

Polly.xXx
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How about going to a smaller /lower /less popular result in a big ski area, eg somewhere in the the Trois Vallees? Don't know the area very well so can't suggest somwhere myself, but I'd imagine the accommodation at least is less expensive.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Polly, do you have a particular budget in mind?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about Cervinia?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PollyErrington, We went to La Rosiere recently and were all most impressed by the resort for price, service, skiing...well just about everything. A really nice resort with much more sking than people think.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PollyErrington, If you were planning on travelling peak season then resorts in the Ski Welt in Austria are very reasonable and most are half board so you won't get stung for a huge food bill. Try Soll, which is more lively. Other areas include Mayrhofen which has access to a huge amount of skiing and offers some reasonably priced hotels. Both ski passes are very reasonable.

Did you have anywhere in Spain in mind? I found Sierra Nevada hotels quite expensive with lots of extras. Lift pass and ski hire was reasonable though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When are you looking to go? Mid season you've the option of using a smaller or lower resort which would be too risky at the ends of the season.

How many of you are there? Self-catered apartments are available very cheaply in many resorts if there are enough of you and you are prepared to fill them.

Quote:
Do you think Spain's the way to go?

Various friends who have been to Baqueira say it's excellent for a week-long trip.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bulgaria's very cheap but I don't know how good the skiing is. Depends what level you are I suppose.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Elizabeth B wrote:

yes, no more than £500... for flights and accommodation (incl meals)

There's just so many places, I want some experienced skiiers advice!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks everyone. la rosiere sounds interesting. think I might do some more research!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PollyErrington,

If you are going to look at La Rosiere it would probably be worth looking at La Thuile in Italy as well. The resorts are linked so it may broaden your accomodation options.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would agree with the Mayrhofen suggestion.

Also the Italian resort of Madesimo is very pleasant and excellent value, if a little quiet on an evening.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1 wrote:
How about going to a smaller /lower /less popular result in a big ski area, eg somewhere in the the Trois Vallees? Don't know the area very well so can't suggest somwhere myself, but I'd imagine the accommodation at least is less expensive.

Well you wouldn't save on the lift pass or the cost of food & drink on the slopes. You might save on accommodation but that might be offset by daily transport costs to the slopes. One answer might be Brides les Bains which links into the 3 Valleys at Meribel via a long gondola. Life should be cheaper though less exciting down there - it's in the valley below Meribel, close to Moutiers.

There is also cheap accommodation in Les Brevieres (links with Tignes & Espace Killy), around £150 a week including food, though probably more 'hostel' than hotel, and you'd have to book your own transport. Have a look at http://www.chaletchardons.com or you could at least ask them for ideas if you want something slightly more upmarket in the same place.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Elizabeth B wrote:

yes, no more than £500... for flights and accommodation (incl meals)

There's just so many places, I want some experienced skiiers advice![/quote]

A friend of a friend did a week in Bulgaria for just over £200 all in. They were complete beginners so were notbothered about the size of the skiable area or difficulty.

We stayed in self-catering chalet in Switzerland pretty cheaply (in Laax but anywhere will have it). Details from their tourist office. The other stuff may add to the cost, but the basic getting there and staying there was roughly £500 or less (can't remember exactly). Other countries will do similar.

Also PG's apartment in Bourg St Maurice is cheap off-season and you can get trains there for under a hundred quid each way. I did two weeks there for under £500 for transport and accommodation. A quick visit to the supermarket and meals will come in very cheaply too provided you don't mind cooking. Though a few meals out would be covered by that budget, too.

Of course, party size is important here in some of those ideas.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PollyErrington, if you want a cheap holiday but with great skiing, book a last minute deal to one of the big french areas next January. You will easily get a catered chalet deal for under £500.

If you can't go low season, or if there are more than say 3 or 4 of you, then getting a last minute cheapie will be more difficult. You might have to be more specific about what you mean by "great skiing": Andorra offers great beginner skiing, while Chamonix offers great advanced skiing, but not vice-versa. If you let us know what standard of skier/boarder you & your party are then more specific advice will follow! Very Happy
ski holidays
Slovakia,Romania,Bulgaria,Poland,Czech Republic,Turkey, You can find extensive skiing & excellent low prices in all these countries.

In Austria , if you stay away from the big resorts you can really do skiing on the cheap with all the real Austrian ambiance
latest report
Quote:

Slovakia,Romania,Bulgaria,Poland,Czech Republic,Turkey

Extensive? They may be cheap, but there are no resorts in these countries to match a medium sized alpine resort, let alone somewhere like the Sella Ronda or 3Valleys. I'm not sure what you mean by "extensive" stanton!?
ski holidays
You can always find a cheap deal - even to an 'expensive' resort. I certainly wouldn't think of paying near £500 and I ski regularly enough.

I recommend Austria if you want to keep the total costs down. French drinks prices are a bit stupid, even if you have a good deal, the proce can blow out.
latest report
think about the USA
travel times are obviously longer but for good quality skiing and accomodation it's very hard to beat - generally room only so food costs as little as you want
don't touch bulgaria /andorra in the hope of a good experience, you'll pay 80% of the cost of a really good time in the usa (if you book carefully) for a dismal experience by comparison - probably same applies to ost of europe, although tyrol is quite good especially Mayrhofen but not Kitzbuhel.
ski holidays
I can't believe that you are finding it a problem. I would never consider paying as much as you are budgeting.

You could afford Meribel if you were prepared to be a little more flexible. If you were prepared to go overnight on a coach and stay in Bride Les Bains (gondola to Meribel), you could get 7 days skiing, with b&B accommodation in a 3* hotel for about £380 (including 6 day local lift pass). see here

Alternatively, you could do DIY to virtually anywhere, allowing say £100 for flights, £80 for hire car, and no more than £250 for self-catering accommodation. these are good for accommodation

You could do better than this too the more off peak times that you go and also if you go to Austria where you can often get trains to the resorts for less than car hire prices (e.g. Salzburg to Zell is about 8Euros each way as I understand from another thread). Allow £25 pppn for b&b.

There are some much less expensive ways to go.

Most recently we have been going with a couple of Church based organisations and they have been very cost effective, but I know that this wouldn't appeal to everybody. Our cheapest price ever was this year (going over New Year to Switzerland) we had a great time and paid £410 per person for coach, full board accommodation, lift pass, ski/boot hire and 6 x 2hour group lessons.
snow report
the ice perv,

I means plenty of skiing. There are some fair sized resorts but then what do you mean by medium sized alpine resort ?

docleaf,

I agree the US is is great, I been skiing there over 25yrs however lift prices are extortionate and if your travelling single you wont find a accomodation at the prices you pay in Austria. Even a bunkbed in shared accom in Aspen nowadays costs $65 low season !
snow conditions
stanton, as far as I am aware the biggest ski area in the countries you listed is Borovets, which has about 40km of piste.

I first learnt years ago in a tiny swiss village you've probably never heard of which had a bigger area than that. Even small & cosy Saas-Fee has 100km of piste.

I am sure those areas can offer decent skiing when conditions are right. But extensive skiing?
Nah - don't think so....
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, would that be Oakhall by any chance. Done a few with them in my youth, thought they were really good value for money and a nice freindly bunch of folk.
snow report
DAVID F, that's right - Oakhall was one and Gold Hill Holidays was the other. As you say, they are both good value for money and with really friendly people on the holidays.
ski holidays
All resorts have a cheap way of accessing them. For 3V, as has been said, there is the Brides option or La Tania. At Val d'Isere you can stay in those self catering flats at La Daille and be right on the spot for the best lifts and runs. I don't think lift-served skiing comes much better than that and it need not be expensive.
snow report
PollyErrington, Being in the travel business we are ccnscious that we need to make available cheap packages particularly for first-time or otherwise impoverished skiers. That's why we do a lot of our business in such places as Andorra and Bulgaria. These, given reasonable snow conditions, give folks an opportunity to have a go without breaking the bank. I would recommend Pas de la Casa or Arinsal in Andorra or Borovets in Bulgaria. Not the greatest ski terrains for many Snowheads Cool snowHead but arguably OK for the budget conscious skier.
ski holidays
I think Palandoken has more now . I havent been for a while but theres plenty of Off-Piste Very Happy
http://www.guidetoturkey.com/ski_centers/palandoken.asp
ski holidays
DAVID SNELL, I have noticed that the Grand Valira area of Andorra is now as expensive, or maybe more so, than some areas in Austria!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Paul Holland In the end market will determine success or failure. If Andorra start to become too greedy then their market will decline as sure as eggs are eggs. Switzerland has long had a reputation of being expensive, and it is taking decades for folks to realise that it is on a par with many other well known European ski resorts.

To be honest, and I am very pleased, that the mainstream Ski tour operators are still not promoting Switzerland. I like my Switzerland as it is, slightly stuck in a time warp but nevertheless mostly charming!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy