Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go????

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,
We're a group of 25 (ish) to 30 (ish) year olds that normally go snowboarding in Soll, Austria every february. This coming February we'd like to go somewhere different... Please can anyone suggest somewhere good to go?
We're basically looking for somewhere that has everything. Great snow, great craic, & plenty of beer!
Our group includes boarders and skiers of all different levels from complete beginners to the very advanced.
We've heard mixed reveiws about loads of places. There seems to be good slopes and no craic, or good nightlife and no slopes, so now we don't know where to go..... Sad
Any help at all would be appreciated.
Cheers Little Angel
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
how large is the group? what type of accommodation do you prefer (chalet/hotel/apartment)? budget?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're not sure at the moment but maybe aound ten of us.... We were looking at maybe a catered chalet but that depends on how many of us end up going, otherwise it will be half board. And we're looking at spending no more than €1,000 each....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saalbach or Ischgl
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's great, thanks clarky. Will definately look into those two places....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mayrhofen, Saalbach or Ischgl.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
or Livigno Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i think mayrhofen is overated
zell am ziller thats just down the road from it is good
saalbach/hinterglem
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd put another vote in for Saalbach/Hinterglem or Ischgl. Latter might be a little more pricey. Both great fun. Good party towns with good skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Solden might be an option for you. A great range of terrain, high so it's as snow-sure as it gets, most lifts are boarder-friendly and as much apres-board entertainment as you can handle (although it's a misnomer to call it 'apres' as so much of it starts up the mountain long before the lifts close).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, What are you doing wandering around in here? (Kitty post, not Spydie-forgot to log him out!)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman, I'm lost and still looking for the way out.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Best hurry up or the darksiders might kidnap you Skullie !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I never think to look which forum a thread is posted in, just whizz through all posts since last visit, unless the thread title indicates that the subject will be of no interest at all to me. I therefore sometimes - like now - get lost in a strange land. Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kitty wrote:
Best hurry up or the darksiders might kidnap you Skullie !
Only if they can keep up with me wink
latest report
Nervous Nellie, I'll second Ro@bar's suggestion of Sölden. Fabulous skiing to suit literally ALL abilities and a great variety of après ski entertainment.

If looking for a catered chalet - have you tried looking at the Austrian/Swiss concept of "Pension/Hotel Garni"? They are usually smaller, more personal and refined hotels/Gasthaus which look to provide a similar experience.

St Anton is also a great option for skiing and monumental après entertainment! The prices you are looking at should provide you with a wealth of choice.

Verbier also fits the bill!

wink
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, don't know about boarding, but Verbier is, IMHO, not the greatest place for complete beginners on skis.
snow report
On a similar note I'm very fond of St Anton, but again I probably wouldn't pick it for an absolute beginner.
ski holidays
How about France? Les Deux Alps has great night life and skiing. Good nursery slopes in the village for the beginners and La Grave of the back for the very advanced! Accommodation wise have a look at hotel le cret, its a large chalet hotel so gives you half board and flexibility on numbers(book as many rooms as you need!)!
ski holidays
Hurtle, nozawaonsen, disagree on both counts - complete beginners belong in ski schools and last time I looked there were loads in both resorts. And some of the instructors may even have spoken a word or two of English, but then Aussie is really a derived version isn't it! Toofy Grin

Mixed group wanting a wide variety of slopes and good craic - according to the original poster. rolling eyes
latest report
Samerberg Sue, it's not just a question of the availability of instructors, the beginners' terrain in Verbier is limited. Beginners are mostly taken to Lac des Vaux - where the pistes are short and often crowded. I learned to ski in Verbier myself and had a fairly horrid time of it, although I enjoy the place now.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, same I reckon with St Anton. I'm not saying you couldn't take a complete beginner there. I think it's a cracking resort and probably the one I spend most of my time in and as you say it has really fantastic apres ski, but I think there are probably some resorts other resorts in Austria which have better terrain for beginners. And in the end if you have some complete beginners in your group then you might want to angle the choice slightly towards them. Then again if that doesn't matter to the group too much then there is plenty to keep people busy in the Mooserwirt and KKs and the place is well know for the advanced skiing (mainly off piste) options it provides.
latest report
Not sure about St Anton for beginners because it would be difficult (due to relatively tough access pistes) to think where to meet up with the rest of the crew on, say, day 4 - the one Blue back to Galzig is testing on a board due to it being really busy, the narrow piste and flat run outs - I would not want to be a 'first week' boarder on that and Rendel is good for intermediates but not really beginners

Verbier would be ok for a beginner after a few days in the La Chaux bowl or Savoleyres

Much better places though for less money too, so sticking with Austria I would say Solden would be perfect, and Saalbach/Hinterglemm not too far behind and after a few days it is possible for the beginners to get a few miles under their belts and get to see a bit of the resort (much more difficult to do that as a beginner at St A, Verbier or LDA) and meet up with others up the mountain somehwere for lunch; but more catered small hotel than chalet though perhaps.

Alpe d'Huez (spelling?) would be my recommendation though with easy extensive gondola accessed pistes at resort level that are perfect for learning to board and build confidence, some tougher stuff up top for the experienced guys and Feb is an ideal time to go !!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 19-07-10 12:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Hey kids,
Just wanted to say a huge thank you for all your help and advice. I'll take the suggestions back to the group and see what people think. There's some really good suggestions here so will pick one and get booking....Can't wait!
Hurtle - I hope you manage to find your way back to familiar lands Smile
Whoo hooo! Roll on February. Very Happy
snow conditions
Hurtle, don't know about skiing, but I learnt to board in Verbier. Cracking place! My only problem was trying to explore the further reaches of the Four Valleys whilst trying to avoid drag lifts....
snow report
harrisontherabbit,
Quote:

trying to avoid drag lifts....
Ah, good point, there are an awful lot of those.
snow conditions
Indeed. That said, easy access to a lot of relatively simple off-piste (together with some damn good apres) more than made up for it for me.

However, my opinion isn't too balanced, as I've yet to experience anything Austrian. Need to sort that out next season.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Nervous Nellie wrote:
Hi folks. We're a group of 25 (ish) to 30 (ish) year olds that normally go snowboarding in Soll, Austria every february. This coming February we'd like to go somewhere different... Please can anyone suggest somewhere good to go?

Up the budget a tad, and try Canada (Rockies/Coastal), 11 days min.

As a boarder, you'll even feel welcome wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Saalbach. Whilst St Anton should tick most of the boxes, it might be a bit too much for the beginners in the group (although there are decent beginners areas if you know where to look)
latest report
Another vote for Solden - had my stag do there last here renting two really great apparments over a long weekend. Great skiing and lots of good bars and clubs from 4 onwards that are rammed. highly recommended.
latest report
Try Laax, it has terrain for most abilities except for the very advanced - even at that level there are a few places to find that will get you some proper over 45 degree steeps (albeit short ones) that need a bit of hiking into. You may find the nightlife a bit different and more low key to the big French places but if you go when there is a competition on you'll have far cooler nightlife that most places...

And get your mates to learn to use drags, it opens up way more of any mountain...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy